Can a toner darken platinum highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanessaS

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I am really deseparate... My colorosist destroyed my hair last Friday. I think she forgot me with the highlights on. I have a dark blonde base and I have been doing half head highlights for years. She conviced me to do a full head this time because the lower part was very dark and she also added lowlights (thanks god) to create more "dimension".

She usually make the perfect baby/beige blonde. Very natural and blend very well in my natural base. Well this time it didn't! I only saw it afterward because I didn't blow dry the hair there, but it it almost white! It looks really fake to me and it damaged my hair so much I am crying now... I always had long strong and healthy hair (even though they are really fine). I never use hot tools on them and let them aur dry. Uses only good products. I am so depressed... It isn't my fault, I even asked her a "darker blonde" for fall. What happened? She forgot me? My scalp hurts and it feels like my hair are being pulled all the time. It is really thinner and when I pass my hand in them, some breaks...

She told me I can come back to have a toner, but I am so scared it will damaged the hair more! I also absolutely hate the color right now, I want to hide... I feel miserable... She also said I would have to pay the toner! I am Outraged, even though it's only 20$...

I really need your advises please. What would you do if you were me? I am scared I will end up worst with the toner, but can't continue with those platinum highlights.

IMG_3455.JPG In the sun it looks awful

IMG_3402.JPG Way too white!!

IMG_3529.JPG What I usually have and want...

Attachments

• IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 956
A toner will not damage your hair further. But she should not make you pay for it, this is her mistake and she should rectify it for free. Has she seen your hair dry?

I think you should visit another hairdresser for an opinion to see how damaged it is, if you have hair breaking off.

Assuming she has over processed it, I would return, pointing out the damage and ask her to provide you with free moisturising and repair treatments until the condition is improved plus regular toners.

If she's unwilling to do that, then take it further.

A toner will not damage your hair further. But she should not make you pay for it, this is her mistake and she should rectify it for free. Has she seen your hair dry?

No she didn't yet! But I hope when she sees them she will realize how far the bleached was taken. If she acts like it's normal and not her fault and makes me pay I will tell her how I feel but I don't want to make a scene either... She will loose a client forever and the salon makes really bad business! It's a really high end salon in the city and they are really busy but very snobish attitude. I paid a fortune for this mess. I don't understand... The previous highlights I had before weren't like this. They were more like the last photo I posted. I am convinced she just forgot me, it's a terrible mistake! It's not like I asked for them :( It's my worst nightmare and that's whyI only highlights them every 5 months, to keep them healthy :(

I think you should visit another hairdresser for an opinion to see how damaged it is, if you have hair breaking off.

Assuming she has over processed it, I would return, pointing out the damage and ask her to provide you with free moisturising and repair treatments until the condition is improved plus regular toners.

If she's unwilling to do that, then take it further.

I already stop somewhere else and they said it will not damage the hairbut she didn't even really lookedat them. It's a good idea, I'll stop at another salon and just hava a consultation.

As for the free traitments, I am pretty sure I can forget this. I am pretty sure she will acts like it's normal and the color is fine. And I am NOT making a scene lol. I did this somewhere else in the past and you just feel bad afterwards, and after the relationship is broken forever, so no point coming back. I'll tell her what I feel camly (but firmly) and pay if they really want me tooand move on to another salon...

And I'll forget the blonde for a while I think! Too many times I have problems with different haurdresser.. I actually wanted to gradually come back to my natural dark blonde baseand just keep few highlights here and there... Now I'll have to wait another 4-5 months again!!

But do you girls (or guys) think a toner help and darken the highlights? It's not like I have a thousand frizz and a ton of hair felt off, it's more like when I pass a hand in them, I can feel I lost my elasticity and it's really fine. This is more on the top where my highlights got platinum. It seems the lower part is fine since it was virgin hair and the color less white since it was much darker, A bit damaged but that is normal.

And if I do the toner, is there one that contains no peroxyde (or little) and no amonia that will work? Which level should I ask for? I don't trust the personn anymore so I really want to ask questions this time...

Thank you so much for your help!

You can use a true semi as a toner, one which applies straight from the bottle and doesn't require mixing with any developer. Just ask the hairdresser.

But I still want the highlights to show?

If they use the right product, the highlights will still show as it's only giving a translucent type of cover to tone down the bright blonde/white and not masking it.

alright!!Thanks for your help and will be putting argan oil treatment which has already helped a lot!

If you know your stylist well and trust her...go back.:)
Give her a chance to rectify your issues.
The condition of your hair looks O.K. - lighter than you wanted, but a toner should sort this out!
(hopefully, she'll throw in a treatment at the same time);)

Keep a perspective.:cool:

Some folk like 'white'....we're all different.
Give your 'trusted' hairdresser a chance to rectify.

If I were your stylist - I'd do it for free.....as a good will gesture....you can only ask! :p
Hope this ends well for all concerned.

I actually asked and she said I have to pay... when I already paid for a toner they left only 1 minute. It's not that expensive, but when you paid 150$ (only for highlights) I should'nt have to pay more!

I really feel this salon is like a big factory (they offer spa services as well) and she is so busy she take may be too much clients and can't properly take care of them... I just have a bad vibe about this salon, very snob and bitchy. I will find another place more tranquil where I feel more comfortable.

we start at $150 for highlights. But honestly Go back. Let them have the option to rectify (free of charge). If they refuse then go higher up.

Going there tomorrow morning.... will tell you the results but I am so nervous and scared it turn worst....

Going there tomorrow morning.... will tell you the results but I am so nervous and scared it turn worst....
we got you girl

Good evening! So I went today and I got my hair toned and it looks so much better! And it didn't damaged at all, it even look healthier because it's a more natural color.

At the same time I did a little trim which helped a lot, too.

The color is more golden now. The colorist said it looked so light because I did lowlights this time so the contrast made the blonde poped out. I didn't believe it 100%; yes it may seem lighter but if I compared the highlights as my previous job it was still a lot whiter! Anyways, they didn't charged me for the toner since she even admited that the first toner wasn't left enough long.

But really, I just want to leave my hair comes back to their natural color now. I think it fits me better and I haven't have my full natural lenght color since like.... forever! Except really long roots. I think I will look gorgeous and my hair will be transformed and healthy.

At least for now they look good :)

Latest posts

Back