Can an employer ring your boss even when you haven't left?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tashaonline

Reaction score
just wondered if anyone knows this? basically , Ive been for a interview and was asked where I work and what is my managers name , I'm just wondering can they actually ring for a reference when I'm still working there!?

worried as that will be embarrasing as obviously you dont tell your place of work youve been for a interview do you

thanks

Yes they can if you've given them the details, if you don't want them to ring you should make it clear in the interview that your existing employer is unaware you are looking for alternative employment and you would prefer they didn't call unless they were seriously considering you for the position. This would then give you time to speak to your existing employer.

It can be a hard conversation to have, but be honest with your existing employer about what is happening, why you want to leave, etc. It's good business practice and ultimately marks you as a trustworthy, honest, upstanding employee and people like that are always in demand.

Good luck

Yes they can if you've given them the details, if you don't want them to ring you should make it clear in the interview that your existing employer is unaware you are looking for alternative employment and you would prefer they didn't call unless they were seriously considering you for the position. This would then give you time to speak to your existing employer.

It can be a hard conversation to have, but be honest with your existing employer about what is happening, why you want to leave, etc. It's good business practice and ultimately marks you as a trustworthy, honest, upstanding employee and people like that are always in demand.

Good luck

Absolutley perfect summary.:hug:

As individuals we all have privacy rights...however if you do not tell a potential employer otherwise they are fully entitled to follow up refrences as you have given them this infomation to start with.

Likewise if you ask them not to contact your current employer (for obviouse reasons) then you have a right to this also...clearly if they are asking you for contact names they are looking to follow a route of enquiry up...it is at this point you should make your position fully clear as to weather you are happy for them to contact your current employer or not....

Provided you have other good refrences for them to follow up any good perspective employer should be happy and understanding if you do not wish them to speak with your current employer.

Anyways...good luck with the possible new job:hug:

Latest posts

Back