Can any Salon Owners answer my questions ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
I have been thinking about opening a small salon and would like a few experienced geeks to help me out with some figures etc.

When I had my baby I gave up my rented room and started to work from home, this has been great for me but I feel its time to get back into a salon enviroment and id like my spare room back ! I have a good client base but opening a salon in the town I live in is a no-go as there are already lots of salons, the rent is well above average and parking is a nightmare.

A friend of mine has a shop in a little retail complex in a small market town about 12 miles from where I live. There are a couple of units available by him starting from 3700 per annum for 122 sq ft. There is only one salon in the town which is actually a hotel spa so there isn't really any competition.

What I would like to know is apart from rent, rates, bills and decoration. What else would I need to pay to get the salon started ?

I am intending to have one treatment room and a reception/nail bar area. As I am writing this I have just realised that I don't know if they have a toilet/kitchen so obviously need to find that out.

Also for those of you that have a small salon what are your sq ft measurements ?

Thanks for your help :)

I have been thinking about opening a small salon and would like a few experienced geeks to help me out with some figures etc.

When I had my baby I gave up my rented room and started to work from home, this has been great for me but I feel its time to get back into a salon enviroment and id like my spare room back ! I have a good client base but opening a salon in the town I live in is a no-go as there are already lots of salons, the rent is well above average and parking is a nightmare.

A friend of mine has a shop in a little retail complex in a small market town about 12 miles from where I live. There are a couple of units available by him starting from 3700 per annum for 122 sq ft. There is only one salon in the town which is actually a hotel spa so there isn't really any competition.

What I would like to know is apart from rent, rates, bills and decoration. What else would I need to pay to get the salon started ?

I am intending to have one treatment room and a reception/nail bar area. As I am writing this I have just realised that I don't know if they have a toilet/kitchen so obviously need to find that out.

Also for those of you that have a small salon what are your sq ft measurements ?

Thanks for your help :)
legals
signage
advertising
stationary
products
equipment
licenses
towels
consumables
till
appouintment system
ltd company setup
plumbing
electrics
electric test certs
pat test cert
refreshment facilities
cant think of ay others

As you know, mine is a small salon, I shall dig out my paperwork with the footprint and let you know. Mine hasn't got a separate kitchen and the toilet is shared with the business next door (a dog grooming parlour!) but that's never been a problem for me.

I know from experience one of the first things to do is get the phone sorted as it can take ages to get business lines sorted, and until that's sorted you can't get the pdq sorted, which again takes ages! Apart from the things you've mentioned, off the top of my head there's also the solicitor costs, any licences needed from the council (I needed an electrolysis license for example) and signwriting.

Brilliant thank you both :D

Martin Im actually really glad you've mentioned the toilet facilities as Ive just checked the brochure online and they are shared with the ladies & menswear shops which share the retail complex. I was wondering if that could be a problem but hardly any of my clients use the toilet here as it is so I doubt I will have them queuing up for it !

Quite a few things I didn't think of after reading the list :o

Do small businesses get any relief on business rates ? My friend said I could get about 50% off ???

I think on average about one person a fortnight asks to use the toilet! It would be different if I were a larger salon, but it's never been a problem in the past three years or so. Small businesses do indeed get rate relief, and thankfully the government have extended the higher relief rate for another year!

In my area, as long as your rent is below £10,000 pa, you get 100% relief. £10,000-£15,000 is 50% relief, and £15,000-£20,000 is 25% relief.

As I understand, each area is different.

less down South

In addition to those already mentioned -

music licences / cd/ipod player
uniform(s)
possible agency cover for absence
I.T equipment / printer (if needed)
reception desk / seating /furniture
subscriptions
professional registration
references (for landlord.

Good luck!

Not yet mentioned are....

Telephone
Broadband
Air con
Public liability insurance

Sorry for butting in but what is "relief"?

In this context, 'relief' is basically 'discount' on your business rates.

In England, if your business rates are £6,000 or below then you qualify for 50% small business rate relief (as long as you only have the one non-domestic rated property in your name). If your rateable value is £6,000 to £12,000 then you will receive tapered relief (relief on a sliding scale) of between 50% and 0%. i.e. if your rateable value is £9,000 then you will receive 25% relief.

However, the Government ran a scheme between 1st Oct 2010 and 30th Sep 2011 which gave small businesses double relief on their business rates. i.e. If under £6,000 then no business rates payable, or if £9,000 business rates then you get 50% relief on the tapered relief system.

This scheme has now been extended to 30th Sep 2012 which will carry on assisting small businesses.

If you don't know the rateable value of your property you can find it at:

VOA Business Rates : Find my property

If you are entitled to small business rate relief, then apply by contacting your local council.

Also, have a good look at the rateable value of your property. Compare it to your next door neighbours to ensure you are not paying more per metre square then they are. Also check that the measurements for the premises they have on record are correct. I checked mine and they were wrong. I contacted the VOA (Valuation Office Agency) and a man came out to measure up. My rateable value was adjusted and it meant an annual saving of about 10% for my business. I also got a nice refund for 'overpayment' for the previous couple of years.

Latest posts

Back