Can anyone advise me - career in hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepha1

Reaction score
Hi,
Basically, I am 28 and have a nearly 3 year old boy who starts nursery in September. I have wanted to have a career in hairdressing for years but one thing or another has got in the way.
I have applied and been accepted to start my NVQ 2 in September at my local college but I am wondering if I am going the right way about it? Would I be better doing an apprenticeship and would I even qualify?
Would any salon let me work part time whilst I do my course?
I know I am old haha but i really want to do this.
I do hair extensions but feel a fraud sometimes as I am not a qualified hairdresser so I only really do a handful of jobs.

Advice??

Steph

I started at college when I was 28 (am now 30). I did some part-time salon work alongside it and now I'm mobile. Going back after summer to do my HNC.

Ask your college about childcare and you should be able to apply for bursary and things like that. I don't think you'd be able to get an apprenticeship - once you're 21 they have to pay you more so they stick with younger people...or at least that's what one salon told me!

Good luck!

Yes thats what I thought regarding the apprenticeship.
The only thing Im worried about is that I willl be getting the course fees waived as I will be on Income Support but if I get a PT job I think I will have to pay for the course. (Im not a bum trying to get stuff for free by the way, its just hard to afford these things!)
Maybe I will just have to work for free...I suppose I will be getting much needed experience.

Yes thats what I thought regarding the apprenticeship.
The only thing Im worried about is that I willl be getting the course fees waived as I will be on Income Support but if I get a PT job I think I will have to pay for the course. (Im not a bum trying to get stuff for free by the way, its just hard to afford these things!)
Maybe I will just have to work for free...I suppose I will be getting much needed experience.

massive good luck, its hard juggling college aroudn the kids but if you want it youll be fine
re the course fee's and income support, as long as you are on income support when you register then you qualify, if you later find a job then thats not an issue i dont think as the course has already been funded but bear in mind you would probabally have to pay the second years fees if you did? im not sure on what benefits count now and what dont sorry, tax credits used too so if it still does you would be fine working part time and still have your fees paid

good luck

from what i know .. you dont stand much chance getting apprenticed as an adult with a child , so you are better off doing the college route .. but maybe if you can manage it get a saturday job in salon ,
i know most people say college is pants and salons are the best way to learn but you have to work with what you have lifestyle wise and having kids makes things a lot harder
i honestly think if you dedicate yourself to learning and have passion then i think you can be great
get some educational dvds , books , go on websites connect with other hairdressers and it really does help a lot i was out of hairdressing for a fair few yrs after having my kids and i regret it but i have been getting back into it and its brilliant xxx

Aw thank you for the nice replies.
Well my boy will be in nursery 5 mornings so will approach a few salons and see if they would let me come in a few days.
I have the option of doing the course in the evenings which may open up sone space in the days to get a little job.
Hmmm that's interesting about being able to find a job after registering. That may solve a few things!
I'm am very determined to do it. Wasted too much time in the past messing about and wanting to move to aus in a few years so this is a priority for me.
Thanks again x

also you can do extra courses with who ever you use products wise , they all have training schools and they arnt too much money either xx

Yeh I have seen people say things like 'wells trained' etc
I'm just going to work as hard as I can the next couple of years and hope I can find somewhere that will take me on

Wella not wells haha...stupid phone!

You can get an apprenticeship I know someone who did this with a child you will be on an apprenticeship wage for 12 months if you are keen and pick it up you will do well, don't let having a child stop you xx

I'm so glad you have written this post :)
I'm 29 and have decided i want to go back into hairdressing as well, I have 1 child and I am pregnant so I won't be starting till next year when I will be 30 nearly 31.
I am a qualified nail tech and I also do spray tanning on the side.
I've wanted to do hairdressing since I left school but like you one thing or another got in the way. I'm looking forward to it. Xx

I started my training just before I turned 28, I'm now 31. I tried to get training in salons but they said I was too old. Going to college was the best thing I ever did and there will be childcare at most colleges I should think.x

Latest posts

Back