Can handcream effect gel enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma@TheLaurel

Reaction score
I have a lady who uses a lot of Neutrogena handcream.(sorry about spelling). The gel is lifting quite a lot. In fact one overlay peeled off after 1 week. The reason I ask is that when I went to repair it the gel literally peeled straight off after application. I wonder if the handcream had penetrated the natural nail so much that even after correct prep the nail plate was too oily. So, are there particular ingredients that effect products?
application.

Sorry about the extra word at the bottom. Couldnt delete it. 😳

Hiya, yes handcream can effect gel enhancements. Most of my clients use handcream and their gels are ok, but not everyone gets away with it. I think it also depends on the brand (differrent ingredients) and the frequency of use. Also, some clients use body and face cream from a pot, so constantly dipping their gels in creams for this too. As part of my aftercare advice, I advise them against over exposure of their gel nails to creams and lotions and recommend washing their hands after applying face/body cream/sun cream etc.

I do Bio Sculpture Gel and I therefore recommend and sell to my clients Bio Sculpture cuticle oil and handcream, which is safe to use with their enhancements.

Hth :)

Thank you, that does help.

Are you using a hard gel or a soft gel?

If a hard gel enhancement is adhered to the nail plate securely then nothing is going to budge it - not even acetone! That's one reason why gel enhancements are often more suitable for hairdressers, they have their hands in god knows what.

With soft gel - such as Bio - you have to be a little bit more careful although i wear Bio Sculpture myself and have used all kinds of cleaning products/cosmetics without wearing gloves and they've stayed put. I don't think hand cream would solely be responsible for lifting but would probably aid the process if it somehow got underneath the enhancement.

Are you using a hard gel or a soft gel?

If a hard gel enhancement is adhered to the nail plate securely then nothing is going to budge it - not even acetone! That's one reason why gel enhancements are often more suitable for hairdressers, they have their hands in god knows what.

With soft gel - such as Bio - you have to be a little bit more careful although i wear Bio Sculpture myself and have used all kinds of cleaning products/cosmetics without wearing gloves and they've stayed put. I don't think hand cream would solely be responsible for lifting but would probably aid the process if it somehow got underneath the enhancement.

I use Brisa Gel. So not really sure what has happened. I have noted that she does often rub her fingers over her nails whileI am doing her overlays to maybe its an oil proble. She is such a lively lady though and is quite happy with me trying different approaches. To be quite honest it's a valuable learning experience too. Thankyou for your comment. X

Hiya, defo try and stop her touching her nails when you're actually doing her overlays this can transfer dirt and oil onto the nail bed - one you've dehydrated/primed the nail (whatever your final prep is before gel application) ensure she does not touch the nails thereafter.

Brisa Gel is CND right? Perhaps give Sweet Squared a call for advice on corresponding products for homecare - solar oil and hand cream she could use instead.

However, there is the odd client who just doesn't get on with gels - nails too oily, heavy handed, picker/biter, meds?

Best of luck!

I use Brisa Gel. So not really sure what has happened. I have noted that she does often rub her fingers over her nails whileI am doing her overlays to maybe its an oil proble. She is such a lively lady though and is quite happy with me trying different approaches. To be quite honest it's a valuable learning experience too. Thankyou for your comment. X

Yes get her to stop touching her nails!!! If you find her nails are oily from using the hand cream then chances are her skin is too! So your freshly prepped and dehydrated nail will only become oily again when she does this. :cry:

A nail tech friend of mine shouted at me for touching my nails before the gel went on (I am my own worst client!) so its a no go!
Get strict with her and you will see better results. And make her buy the solar oil or tell her not to use the neutrogena hand cream around the nail and the top of her fingers. I always say to my ladies at the very least to wipe off their nails with tissue after hand cream- especially down the side walls and round the cuticles.

Also make sure she has her hand right in the lamp...if she is a fidget she might be trying to have a look at her nails while they are in there and puling her hand out a bit.

Hope this helps. :)
How have you been finding the barrisa? What made you go for it?

Last edited:
In my past experience if someone uses a hand cream/lotion that has mineral oil or is petroleum based a lot/all the time, it can affect their nail enhancement. And not just gel. Most of the over the counter, dept store creams/lotions do have one or both of the products in them. I've educated all my clients on the fact that creams/lotions that have these products in them aren't really being an effective moisturizer and a waste of their money. This has helped a lot in limiting the problem you were talking about and helps in my retailing.

Yes get her to stop touching her nails!!! If you find her nails are oily from using the hand cream then chances are her skin is too! So your freshly prepped and dehydrated nail will only become oily again when she does this. :cry:

A nail tech friend of mine shouted at me for touching my nails before the gel went on (I am my own worst client!) so its a no go!
Get strict with her and you will see better results. And make her buy the solar oil or tell her not to use the neutrogena hand cream around the nail and the top of her fingers. I always say to my ladies at the very least to wipe off their nails with tissue after hand cream- especially down the side walls and round the cuticles.

Also make sure she has her hand right in the lamp...if she is a fidget she might be trying to have a look at her nails while they are in there and puling her hand out a bit.

Hope this helps. :)
How have you been finding the barrisa? What made you go for it?

I went for Brisa because I love CND at its fabulous quality. X

Look, I really don't think the problem here was the hand cream, as you said it was only one nail that peeled off. I think she contaminated the surface as you thought, by either touching the surface before you applied your Brisa, or (the classic client trick) sitting and leaning with their freshly cleansed nails (or nail) against their cheek which is covered in make up or moisturiser, while you prepare the other hand ... The times I have had to cleanse again because of that one!

Brisa gel which is adhered to a cleansed fully prepped nail, will not budge because of a client using a hand cream at home. She should sack the Neutrogena though and use one of the beautiful CND soothing lotions or Scentsations that she can buy from YOU.

Latest posts

Back