Can I apply this bleach over my already bleached hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliexforrest

Reaction score
Okay so I am naturally dark brunette. I have box dyed my hair sometimes in my life but only to a purple-y brown or black. I had dyed it black with blue undertones about 2 months ago. I then wanted it bright blue instead, waited a month after dying it and used a colour stripper. My hair went back to brown but it did have red through it. After stripping it this is what I've done:

Cant remember what brand but bleached my whole head with 40 vol - came out orange and patchy as I didn't have any help or think it through and did it myself

I then used a keratin hair mask along with coconut oil to repair whatever damage was caused.

1 week later: Bleached again with Loreal Colorista Bleach 40 vol - I got my mums help this time, she sectioned my hair and made sure all of it was well covered - she also got my roots. The results of this were not great - the orange was still in my lengths but my roots had lightened to a 9. Some of my hair is a 7, some is a 8 and roots are a 9. But still a lot of orange.

I dont know why it didn't lighten very well the second time. I then bought a bleach kit online from Bleach London - Plex bleach and toner as well as a repair mask. This will be the 3rd time bleaching to get to the lightest I can. I opened the Plex bleach and read the directions, first thing it said was 'DO NOT USE ON HAIR THAT HAS BEEN BLEACHED, PRE COLORED OR COLOUR RESTORED'

Is that something that comes on the directions of all bleach? From all my understanding of going from dark to blonde, its necessary to bleach the hair multiple times, as long as your hair is in the right condition to take it. I dont understand how I'm meant to bleach again if this bleach says not to use on already bleached hair. I dont know if it's just a disclaimer thing maybe, but I'm looking to get more advice from anyone who knows more about bleach or has some more experience.

I know I probably sound like a total idiot. But any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm afraid to use this bleach if it's not going to lighten the orange parts!

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Are you a qualified hair professional please?

Put the bleach down and start wearing a hat. If you carry on applying such strong chemicals, you’re likely to cause a lot of breakage near the scalp at best or a trip to A&E for scalp burns at worst.

Neither a hair mask or coconut oil will repair damage caused by over bleaching. :oops:

I definitely would follow what the instructions are saying. Bleaching your hair for a 3rd time, especially with all the different levels of lightness you have, would just be a recipe for disaster...in-fact I’m surprised you actually have any hair left after using a 40vol twice! 40 volume and bleach should NEVER be used on the scalp you are risking serious chemical burns! leave it be...use whatever conditioning treatments you have on it and allow a professional to do your hair once we can.

I second what @AcidPerm and @james28 have said.
Your hair must be made of pretty tough stuff.
This really isn't something you should try and tackle yourself. It's in cases like this you can appreciate how technical colour correction is, and that's why we charge so much to do it. However tempting it is, please leave it until you can visit a good salon and have them work with you towards reaching your goal.

Latest posts

Back