Can I massage someone who’s taking antibiotics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaks

Reaction score
Hi, i have just had a client come for a delux facial massage. She told me she has tonsilitus when she arrived and is on penicillin. The massage i include is quite long and covers the neck and declarage. Am i right to have said i cant do the treatment?

Absolutely you are right to not perform the treatment. She is infectious and won't have her mask on for starters.
Secondly, anti biotics can cause skin to be so much more sensitive to anything.
Thirdly she may also have a slight fever and as she's ill anyway massage is a contraindication. Silly woman for not informing you beforehand as you have wasted her appointment due to her not telling you.
Also to note is that her lymph nodes will probably be swollen because they are trying to fight infection and shouldn't be massaged as they'd be extremely tender.
Always check your clients health status before their appointment as it will prevent your wasted time and effort in setting up and the client will not be left feeling disappointed.

Absolutely you are right to not perform the treatment. She is infectious and won't have her mask on for starters.
Secondly, anti biotics can cause skin to be so much more sensitive to anything.
Thirdly she may also have a slight fever and as she's ill anyway massage is a contraindication. Silly woman for not informing you beforehand as you have wasted her appointment due to her not telling you.
Also to note is that her lymph nodes will probably be swollen because they are trying to fight infection and shouldn't be massaged as they'd be extremely tender.
Always check your clients health status before their appointment as it will prevent your wasted time and effort in setting up and the client will not be left feeling disappointed.

Thank you so much for your reply. I said ì was unable to do the treatment for all of the reasons you have said. I just wanted to make sure i was correct! I always ask upon booking if they have any health issues that may be affected by massage/treatment. She had booked a couple of weeks previous so probably wasnt ill at that time. She definately should have told me though before she came. X

Latest posts

Back