Can I mix gel systems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy Orange

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm new to Salon Geek. Having gleaned wonderful information for quite some time from different threads of salon geek I now find that I do need some advice from the wealth of information that salon geek members have.
I'm new to gel nails. I started with ASP Signature, it's terribly difficult to get off & the colours are not as nice as Gelish. So I brought a few gelish colours then realised I didn't have the nail prep, bonder, base or top for gelish.
So. My question is can I use the signature nail prep, bonder, base and top with gelish.
My background is predominately massage, but am branching out.

No you can't mix systems. If you are considering offering this as a treatment to paying clients you are going to have to attend training of some sort. If you want to use Gelish I recommend you get in touch Harmony, not only do they do training but they will offer start up packages too. It is also essential that you use the correct lamp for the system.

Hi All
I'm new to Salon Geek. Having gleaned wonderful information for quite some time from different threads of salon geek I now find that I do need some advice from the wealth of information that salon geek members have.
I'm new to gel nails. I started with ASP Signature, it's terribly difficult to get off & the colours are not as nice as Gelish. So I brought a few gelish colours then realised I didn't have the nail prep, bonder, base or top for gelish.
So. My question is can I use the signature nail prep, bonder, base and top with gelish.
My background is predominately massage, but am branching out.

Gelish has advertised that their base and top coats can be used with other brands' color coats, but that is different from what you want to do. Unless you have gotten clearance from ASP and Gelish AND have the right lamp(s) for both systems, it is not in accordance with manufacturers' instructions and should not be done.

Polish style systems like Gelish & CND can be mixed in a pinch although they may not last as long. I've not done it very often and only really when needing a colour for nail art.
As far as I'm aware though ASP is a completely different chemical makeup so it can't be mixed. I had a Sally's colleague get very uppity when I was enquiring about ASP and mentioned that I normally used Gelish. She was adamant.

Thank you all so much. You are very kind. I shall go shopping and buy the additional gelish products needed.
I shall also endeavour to seek additional training as it appears the training I had will not suffice. Once again thank you.

The difference between can and should is an unknown size :)

It is always best (and safest) to stick with a system that has been developed and tested to work together. Anyone that claims that their product is universal and can be used with any other product is usually talking from a theoretical position. In theory, intermixing may work but it will most likely not work anywhere near as well as a single system.

If the client doesn't return, is it because they were unhappy with the results? 1 lost client isn't ever worth the savings.

Thank you to all.
As a result of my first request for help on salon geek I have taken the following steps.
Decided to run down my ASP gel system but also offer the gelish system, I will purchase the rest of the stuff necessary.Have registered on Gelish Harmony website, as someone advised, where the pots of polish are much cheaper than Sally's ! Emailed regarding additional training.
As I'm still in the preparing and practicing uv gel stage - having qualified in mani & pedi some years ago some prior prepping is advisable !

I'm not yet confident to offer nail art but when asked I always recommend a lady who is amazing at them and has won a variety of awards.

Mostly I thank you all for taking the time to offer your knowledge and provide me with some sound advice. Mostly for not making me feel silly.
Wishing everyone a brilliant day.

Latest posts

Back