Can I put nail polish over Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lollypop2912

Reaction score
I have recently had my nails shellacked, wanted rockstar but the salon I went to had never heard of it so just went for a red colour (not sure which one, masquerade maybe?)

Anyway was just wondering if it will be safe to put a glitter nail polish on top of the shellac to give it some sparkle, or will this melt/damage the shellac?

Lauren :)

It shouldn't be a problem, what i would suggest is testing it on a small area first, leave it on for half an hour and then with a non-acetone nail varnish remover (the Non-acetone is important as if you use anything with acetone it will definitely ruin shellac) take it off, if there isn't any damage to your shellac then you're good to go! :) x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

You are fine putting polish over Shellac. Just use a regular topcoat, not the Shellac topcoat. HTH! :)

Polish away, I do it all the time, glitter on top of masquerade would be lovely. I recently had asphalt on (fabulous dark grey) after about four days I painted a regular polish translucent pearl shimmer which turned the asphalt blue, then a few days later a silver glitter on top of that, then a few days later removed with non-acetone remover and back to perfect asphalt.
I tend to layer regular polishes rather than keep removing them just in case I spoil my shellac.

Thank you for your replies! I'm going to a party tomorrow and want my nails sparkly, I've got a clear polish with red and silver glitter in so will put that over it, I'll make sure I get some acetone free remover though!
Lauren :)

Latest posts

Back