Can I replace overlay on green nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi, I did infills last week she just ext me and said her nail is green:sad:. I don't understand as I disinfected and scrubbed everything unless there has been a little lifting, can that cause a greenish colour? Can I soak off and re-apply an acrylic overlay? Or would this cause more problems?xx

Hey Jo!

I would firstly investigae what she has done with her nails, has she done any gardening squeezed tea bags with her fingers (yes there is a story regarding this! - a lady used to have acrylics done all the time and the underneath of her nails were greeny brown, she didn't know what caused it and would moan at the therapist all the time until it clicked that she had been squeeing teabags with her two fingers!)

I would not put acrylic back over the nail as it will make the bacteria grow even more as it will be warm, I would remove the acrylic straight away and adivce the client not to have them until the greeny has gone.

I would Soak off the acrylics and go over nail with a sanitized nail brush with a anti-bacterial soap and let dry. Then with a buffer (which should be thrown away after use) gently buff the surface of the nail and greenie. Do not attempt to remove the green color though and I would then de-hyrdrate the nail plate.

I havn't dealt with a greeny myself but this is what I was taught! Hope that helps x

The article linked is fab, definitely read it!!

You can remove the enhancement . Clean and sanitise and dehydrate the nail then you can replace enhancement. The green will still be there but it is a stain that will have to grow out so you may find a pink masque powder is better.

She may have had some lifting which water has got it and makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

E x

Thanks guys,
I asked her to come over tonight so I could look at it, soak nail off (it's only one thank god) and possibly replace. She told me she couldn't make it. I asked her to take a photo of nail and send it to me but she had already soaked it of. She is coming Thursday. I know that when I did her infills I scrubbed her nails with antibac gel and scrubbing brush, sprayed both our hands and nail plate with sanitiser, my equipment was washed and sprayed with sanitiser, my files were sanitized over and over again before she turned up.
This might be a stupid question but I am using the same files and buffers on my clients I only have 5 paying costumers. Would this have caused it?. I have gone through all my stuff tonight and cleaned everything again.xx

Thanks guys,
I asked her to come over tonight so I could look at it, soak nail off (it's only one thank god) and possibly replace. She told me she couldn't make it. I asked her to take a photo of nail and send it to me but she had already soaked it of. She is coming Thursday. I know that when I did her infills I scrubbed her nails with antibac gel and scrubbing brush, sprayed both our hands and nail plate with sanitiser, my equipment was washed and sprayed with sanitiser, my files were sanitized over and over again before she turned up.
This might be a stupid question but I am using the same files and buffers on my clients I only have 5 paying costumers. Would this have caused it?. I have gone through all my stuff tonight and cleaned everything again.xx

Most likely She will have had a crack or some lifting , got moisture in there ignored it or glued it down ! and the bacteria will have grown .
This is why it's sooo important to stress to clients with there home care that if they brake a nail or it lifts they need to come back for it to be fixed ,

It could be that you infilled over a lifted area it can happen this is a good reason to use CND scrubfresh as it leaves behind a pathogen fighting layer.

I would also invest in a bottle of Mundo file spay. http://www.mundoproducts.co.uk/file--abrasive-disinfectant-spray-54-c.asp . And some more files yours must be in need of replacing by now :)

Hey Jo!

I would firstly investigae what she has done with her nails, has she done any gardening squeezed tea bags with her fingers (yes there is a story regarding this! - a lady used to have acrylics done all the time and the underneath of her nails were greeny brown, she didn't know what caused it and would moan at the therapist all the time until it clicked that she had been squeeing teabags with her two fingers!) x

This is what was happening to one of my clients, I bought her a tea bag squeezer & presented it to her on her next appointment, since then the nails have been lovely!! Lol

Hey Jo!

I would firstly investigae what she has done with her nails, has she done any gardening squeezed tea bags with her fingers (yes there is a story regarding this! - a lady used to have acrylics done all the time and the underneath of her nails were greeny brown, she didn't know what caused it and would moan at the therapist all the time until it clicked that she had been squeeing teabags with her two fingers!)
Hiya luv.xx She is a teenager and just started collage. Most teenagers I know tell me they don't know how to make a cuppa lol;)

Hi mizzy_dizzy, I will look into Mundo I think they sell that on Nail Harmony website too, and yes I will replace my files. I am taking a trip to Sally's tomorrow . I have heard of scrub fresh I will get some.

This is what was happening to one of my clients, I bought her a tea bag squeezer & presented it to her on her next appointment, since then the nails have been lovely!! Lol
Good idea lucyboo lol.

Thanks guys.xxxx:D

Thanks guys,

Im sorry i can't help with your greenie issue but i just wanted to ask how you sanitise everything inc your emery boards.

Hi Guys,
A quick update. My client came back today :D. The nail in question was a little nail on her right hand, she took her nail varnish off and noticed green under her enhancement. She had previously soaked it off and kept it dry, there was no trace of green on her nail plate today but I made sure I prepped and sanitized thoroughly before re-applying overlay. I have thrown away old files and replaced all files and new buffers today in Sally's. Should I be using individual files for individual clients and keep them in poly pockets separate from one another to prevent cross contamination?

Hi Victoriabar,
at the moment I am using Salon Services sanitizer spray for hands and tools but I am going to invest in Mundo for piece of mind.x

Hi Guys,
A quick update. My client came back today :D. The nail in question was a little nail on her right hand, she took her nail varnish off and noticed green under her enhancement. She had previously soaked it off and kept it dry, there was no trace of green on her nail plate today but I made sure I prepped and sanitized thoroughly before re-applying overlay. I have thrown away old files and replaced all files and new buffers today in Sally's. Should I be using individual files for individual clients and keep them in poly pockets separate from one another to prevent cross contamination?

Hi Victoriabar,
at the moment I am using Salon Services sanitizer spray for hands and tools but I am going to invest in Mundo for piece of mind.x

It would cost a fortune , would be a waste of space especially with clients that don't come back ,
Bacteria like warm bags! Espechaly if there is dven a trace of wetness / darkness So unless your sterilizing and putting into airtight sterile bags your really not going to make a difference.
The bacteria will more than likely have got in with moisture in an area of lifting , clients try to DIY fix lifting with everything from clear polish , color to tea bags and super glue!
They think there saving money cos there not getting us to fix them.
This is why people get bacteria infections under there enhancements .

Scrubfresh Will leave behind a pathogen fighting layer .

And Mundo anti back soap a brush ,/ Mundo file and abrasive spray is enough,

Green nails are usually caused because the client leaves it too long inbetween infills, or if they have polish over them and cannot see them lifting.

It is when debry gets under the lifting nail where it is wet and warm and breed. Some bacteria in tap water gives off a green bloom. This is easily treated with removal of acrylic nail and cleaning with 100% alcohol. you can replace the acrylic once nail is thoroughly cleaned as the stain will have to grow off.

Hi mizzy_dizzy
I was thinking of investing in this one. I only have 5 clients at the mo.... NEW Power Plus Instrument & Tool Disinfectant 500ml or this one Rapid Instrument & Tool Disinfectant (2 litres)
• Ready to use solution.
and no plastic bags for my files.
Thanks for advice very much appreciated.xx

Latest posts

Back