Can I sculpt on a nail biter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi, I am practicing at the moment and have moved from using tips to sculpting. I have a client Tuesday morning she is a nail bitter. Any way I just wanted to ask if or how I can sculpt on her. Or would it be better to use french tips.xx

You should check out Young Nails video on how to sculpt on a nail biter. :)

Hi, I am practicing at the moment and have moved from using tips to sculpting. I have a client Tuesday morning she is a nail bitter. Any way I just wanted to ask if or how I can sculpt on her. Or would it be better to use french tips.xx

Hi Jo's Nails

French tips on a nail biter will often look very unbalanced as the client may not have much nail bed at all...

Ideally on a nail biter a camoflage pink (opaque - non see through) can be used to extend the look of the clients nail bed.

If there is some free edge and no bulges of skin at the sidewalls then yes sculpting is a good option - make sure to cut the form to follow her natural smile line or it will cut into her hyponychium ...

Severe nail biters (very short nail bed and puffy skin folds) are actually better with a gentle 'c' curve or flattish natural (not french) tip in my opinion. Tips can be tailored to fit around the skin folds and keep a nice shape to extend the nail plate - where as a sculpt on this extreme client will give them a very ski jump look...
take a look at the tutorial below from our very own nails1inlondon
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/5746-tipping-bitten-nail.html

hth's

You don't want to use a tip because the nail bed isn't big enough for a tip. Your best bet is to sculpt using an opaque pink to lengthen the nail bed to give the illusion of long tapered nails. Young Nails does have an awesome video for this as well as on YouTube. You may need to alter your form in order to get it flush with the natural nail.

In the case of a severe biter with bulges, I use cellophane tape to mask off that bulged area and pull it down. Then the form can be fitted properly where it belongs. Use opaque pink to extend the nail plate and sculpt a shorter, more rounded free edge the overlay the whole thing with clear to add a little extra to the stress area. This allows a biter to slowly get used to having nails.

Brilliant advise thanks!! I have a few options I am going to have a practice tonight on a plastic finger. I am using Ez flow products. I have a clear pink, I don't have any opaque powder but do have Pansy from the Pastel Flower collection I don't know if I can use it as a cover pink though. I also have A Polymer Natural powder but this looks white to me?
The nails1inlondon tutorial was brilliant thanks Envy for posting. I have applied french tips to her before, she is a bad bitter and the nail it's self is tiny with lots of bulbous skin. Her nails only lasted a few days before they pinged off plus I applied to much product which caused them to lift. This tutorial is great!
I love the young nails tutorial, especially the tip when he takes out the whole and cuts it in half to fit the bitten free edge and cover the skin.
C-C My Nails I was wondering how to cover the skin above the free edge so product doesn't touch the skin, the sellotape will act as a bridge.
Thank you every body, very much appreciated.xx

Hi just to say thanks for all your great advise.xx My client was late this morning she dropped her little one to school and forgot his dinner so she had to rush around and get his packed lunch back to school. Our time was limited and as I am still practicing I tend to take longer so I opted for the young nails idea as it would be quicker than applying tips. I cut the whole in half and stuck it to the back of the form like he does in the vid and it worked brilliantly. I did one bead method as nails are so tiny but didn't extend as I was using clear pink then a white powder for the free edge. I was pleased with the results and client loved them. Can't wait to practice this again and again.xx

Latest posts

Back