Can I teach myself to sculpt?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uber

Reaction score
Just wondered how easy it would be to do this without an educator and just practice. I am thinking of buying some forms today

ETA: I ended up buying performance forms which came this morning. They looked complicated to apply.
I found the following link in the salongeek tutorial section which should be very helpful

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/2754-super-sonic-sculpting.html

Last edited:
oooohhhhhh not that easy. I have seen lots of people saying "I can sculpt" but when you look at the nails it is obvious, they cannot.

If you don't know about form fitting (and this is not only to get it to fit snugly under FE) then you will have nails that are not structural correct and will pe prone to breaking.

I remember the first time I sculpted, I thought this is going great, but I didn't have an lower arch, my nails look skisloped and there were craks into the sides within a day or two. I waited with a full set, until I was shown in class, but did the odd nail once in a while, just to try.:lol:

You can teach yourself to sculpt but it will take a very long time and a few grey hairs! It would pay you to book a one to one with an educator, then you will know exactly what you are doing and how the nail should look.

I agree that placing the form can be the most difficult thing to get right and if you find a good educator then this will no longer be a problem. Do make sure that you find an educator that is expert at what you want to learn. Ask on here and get a recommendation, unfortunately not all educators are experts at everything, by asking first you will avoid disappointment. :green:

If you can do a good tip and overlay, you can do a good sculpted nail. You are doing the exact same thing apart from resting your zone one bead on the form instead of the tip; otherwise, it is applied and structured in the exact same way.

I taught myself how to sculpt so of course it is possible to do it. Form fitting is tricky at first, but not impossible. You'll get it. If at first you don't succeed then try again.

My suggestion is that every time you have a client with just one nail that needs replacing .. sculpt it .. WORK WITH YOUR CLIENT AND SEE HOW YOU GO. Do one perfect nail at a time and then practice is easy and you don't need to be anxious. If you find it is impossible for you then do a class.

Last edited:
but if you teach yourself to sculpt does that mean you cant offer it as a treatment would it be possible to get insurance?

Last edited:
but if you teach yourself to sculpt does that mean you cant offer it as a treatment would it be possible to get insurance?

For goodness sake, why ever not? Lord we're not doing surgery here. Just applying nails ... my insurance does not stipulate the method of how I apply them.

Thanks Ladies. I will definitely do as you suggested Geeg. I had a client with a cracked nailedge and I couldn't do a repair without getting product on her skin. I thought a form may have helped at that point?!?!?!?!?

I was thinking of practicing on my husband as well. I think its worth trying on my own at the very least. If I feel its a real headbanger then I can get some extra coaching.

I did my first ever sculpt the other day and like Geeg says, its just the same as doing a tip & overlay- only on the nail form instead. I think its sooo great!

Practice, practice and practice some more... the more you do the better they will become :)

xx

I taught myself from day 1 of doing my CND foundation, I was thinking one day that OMG there are so many types of tips, and points you have to considerate naming a few, you have to choose right C curve, full well or well less which type of adhesive then you have to blend etc which me personally I found a nightmare.

I picked up my forms which I got in my kit and sat and put my form on (wrongly fitted at first ha ha) but just imagined it was my tip and TBH it was easier for me I really thought. 'what's all the fuss over sculpting being difficult' . However a year on I am now still sculling and would never ever go back to tips unless I am confronted with flat nails or really V shaped nail beds. Don't get me wrong I faced lots of problems mostly down to form placement and also deep sidewalls and product seepage.

I would perservere as sculpting on a form is IMO alot more natural not to mention time saving and money saving . Xx

I taught myself to sculpt as well.
I had loooooooots of practice. Sometimes the side would chip, the form wouldn't fit, the nail was slanting upward, etc.

It's a frustrating process, but once you get it you'll feel proud of yourself :)

If you can do a good tip and overlay, you can do a good sculpted nail. You are doing the exact same thing apart from resting your zone one bead on the form instead of the tip; otherwise, it is applied and structured in the exact same way.

I taught myself how to sculpt so of course it is possible to do it. Form fitting is tricky at first, but not impossible. You'll get it. If at first you don't succeed then try again.

My suggestion is that every time you have a client with just one nail that needs replacing .. sculpt it .. WORK WITH YOUR CLIENT AND SEE HOW YOU GO. Do one perfect nail at a time and then practice is easy and you don't need to be anxious. If you find it is impossible for you then do a class.

I wish I could sculpt, I have tried it on myself when one nail has needed replacing, I agree if you can apply product over a tip then you can apply over a form but do you think I can get the form fitted correctly? No
Its harder than learning to do the system, when I have done it on myself I sculpt the tip then a bit extra appears underneath as well, lol

I agree wholeheartedly with Gigi, I basically had to teach myself how to sculpt as I was taught by an absolutely useless teacher in a local college on my level 3 course. Luckily I already had my level 2 and tbh I knew far more than she did cos of this site.

To further on the advice given already, practice applying a form on your left hand, believe me if you can apply a form one handed you can apply a form on any difficult or problematic nails. Look on the CND website am sure there will be form fitting video or look at Carls website www.nailzoo.com there is loads of great tutorial videos on there. A direct link for you:

Sculpture

Look at the various tutorials on here and you'll soon have the hang of it. Good luck :hug:

anne xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back