Can I teach workshops to adults without a teaching qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgrah123

Reaction score
I have been a massage therapist in beauty for around 13 years now and my friend has asked me if I could teach her how to give her husband an indian head massage as they can't always afford to get it done and during the pandemic, he really missed it. It helped with headaches and overall stress. It got me thinking about if I could offer evening workshops to a small group of people in my village hall for them to learn the technique to do only on their friends or family but stating that it is not a qualification in massage. There would be no certificate or anything but it may help lots of couples..I thought I'd be able to send consultation forms to them beforehand to fill out too so there would be no risk of contra-indications. Does this sound like something I'd be able to offer? Or do I need a teaching qualification?

Insurance!
You can probably do it on a 1:1 basis at your friend’s house but if you're hiring your village hall and teaching a group, you’re going to need insurance and to obtain insurance, you’ll need a basic but recognised teaching qualification.

Contact your local FE colleges and see what they recommend.

Alternatively, if the group belongs to an organisation such as the Women’s Institute, they may be happy for you to demonstrate your techniques to their group without you needing any teaching qualifications. To be fair, I don’t know anything about the WI, but used to belong to the Irish equivalent (ICA) and we booked people to give talks and demonstrations around their area of expertise all the time. We had a goat farmer explaining about cheese making with samples to try, a hypnotherapist giving a relaxation demo, a baker talking about baking with yeast, etc.

I have basic therapist insurance but I'm assuming I can just get additional cover for this too.. ? X

Latest posts

Back