Can I use 20vol with Wella 12\81 to tone my highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorenzoking

Reaction score
I have base 5 hair with cap highlights in. I use 40vol bleach and then 12/81 with 40 vol and my highlights go a nice pearl ash colour. After a week the tones go golden and I have used a 10/81 colour fresh but it didn't do anything. Can I put 12/81mixed with 20vol all over my hair to only tone the highlights or will it colour my base 5 hair aswell? And will it tone my highlights? Thank you x

It will lift it especially with it being pre lightened, I did a root touch up with Wella 12/11 and then went through to the ends only using 6% as I didn't want it to go green and it took in lightening speed! Would a toner not be better? Also blue shampoos are a good way to maintain ashy blondes!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

So it would make the highlights more ashy which is the look I'm going for? but will it lift my non highlighted hair. I don't want to go orange lol x

Yes but not as much lift as a 9% or 12%. You will have to keep a close eye on the already lightened areas as well! Have you tried a toner?

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

Yeah I put a 10/81 colour fresh toner on the other night but it didn't touch it at all. I've found with a blue shampoo it doesn't do much on my hair unless my hair is white lol. If I'm honest I'm more worried about what colour the rest of my hair will go, if its a base5 now what will it lift to with 12/81 mixed with 20 vol? X

Oh yeh sorry you already wrote that (been a long day lol) erm... To be honest without looking at your hair properly it's hard to say! If your worried do a test cutting of your hair! That's what I do when I'm unsure as to how it will take! At least then you will have an idea of how much it will lift and I it will throw up any unwanted tones! Do a test on both natural and the highlighted

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

I would use bleach and 6%. A plastic cap very loosely put over will help the lightener from drying out and help it lift evenly. It's been years since I've used a cap but I always go slower and lower when lightening and when you get to the palest yellow I would then tone with 10/8 and pastel. I wouldn't recommend toning with a highlift as it will cause unnecessary damage. If warmth keeps returning after a week maybe your trying to lift the hair too quickly and not removing and neutralising enough of the pigment? Have you a photo that you could put up of your hair? Also as suggested, a silver/ violet shampoo would help too.

Thank you both for your comments and help. I'm gonna do a test cutting now and I'll be back with the verdict later lol. Speak soon xxx

Good luck! I am going to bed now (really really long day) but il be on in the Morning to find out!!!!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

How long did u leave 10/81 on for?

Just tone with 1.9%

Tone using colours on 9/10 lines

wella perfection /8 is really good. You can get it on amazon for £15 and it will do quite a few applications.

What about using Koleston perfect 10/8 with a dash of 10/1 and pastel toner? It will tone your blonde and won't lift your dark hair. Or why not try illumina 10/69 and pastel I have quite a few clients that get a 10/69 toner
I wouldn't use a highlift tint to tone as highlift tints are for lightening the hair. It would make your dark hair go orange trust me I tried it on a friend when I was a junior and his hair was almost irn bru orange lol. Xx

Try toning with colour touch 10/6 or koleston 10/8 and 0/66 and then use the fudge violet shampoo its amazing it can tone anything but be careful on your lighter pieces because it can go lilac

I have base 5 hair with cap highlights in. I use 40vol bleach and then 12/81 with 40 vol and my highlights go a nice pearl ash colour. After a week the tones go golden and I have used a 10/81 colour fresh but it didn't do anything. Can I put 12/81mixed with 20vol all over my hair to only tone the highlights or will it colour my base 5 hair aswell? And will it tone my highlights? Thank you x

Did u just say you use bleach and 40vol THEN 12/81 with 40vol?!?
Your hair is seriously being over processed
How long are you leaving both on for?
This is the reason the colour isn't sticking you are blasting the cuticle and the colour is washing out so quick
I would drop down to 30 even 20vik and leave for a full 50mins
Toner with a toner not a tint and use purple shampoo and your hair will be in way better condition thus the colour holding longer

You should never tone with the 12 series! The very high ammonia content of them is designed to lift, and the colour then deposits into the hair structure for the last 10/15 minutes of your 60 min development time! Therefore making these highly unsuitable as toners. Use a 10 series with pastel developer and you'll get a much more effective hold, and better condition - also less likely to lift the natural hair.

OP, if you did what you suggested in your first post to my hair, I would probably sue you for incompetence.

I seriously hope you don't work on clients using 12% + bleach followed by high lift and 12%. Noooo.

lorenzoking, are you qualified?!

Latest posts

Back