Can Monomer "go off"???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelemacca

Nails by Chele
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question but I'm having problems with nails lifting really soon after I have done them. I know it may be because I am getting too close to the cuticle with the product but I was just wondering whether Monomer lasts indefinitely???

The Monomer I am using I bought on the 26 August when I as Manchester for my Assessment Day. I bought an 8oz bottle that day but decanted it into my 4oz bottle I got with my initial kit as that fits in my case better and kept the other half on the shelf in the cupboard under my stairs.

As I say it's probably a dumb question but I'm just trying to cover all aspects of where I've gone wrong.

Thanks folks :eek:

I do believe that it has a fairly long shelf life (5 yrs) not sure if that is correct time scale though, but as long as it is sealed and airtight cant see it being the monomer causing the problem its more likely to be the product touching the cuticle, keep at it and you will overcome this problem, dont forget to take ur bush round the edge 1mm to make sure no product touching cuticle

Lucia
x

hallluci said:
I do believe that it has a fairly long shelf life (5 yrs) not sure if that is correct time scale though, but as long as it is sealed and airtight cant see it being the monomer causing the problem its more likely to be the product touching the cuticle, keep at it and you will overcome this problem, dont forget to take ur bush round the edge 1mm to make sure no product touching cuticle

Lucia
x
I'm sorry to interfer, Lucia, and I appreciate what you are trying to say, but using your brush in this way is not recommended by Creative Nail Design or Doug Schoon. The reason being, that uncured monomer should never touch the soft tissue surrounding the nail unit, and it is impossible to 'brush around' this area with out touching the skin. Overexposure is a very real probability if you get into this habit.

If you are having a problem, Michelle, with lifting because of touching the eponychium (because I hope you will not have left any cuticle on the plate - if you have this will surely cause lifting). Instead , push the product just that 1mm short of the eponychium and not touching it. Use the push pull technique described in the tutorial on product control. and you will never have a need to worry about lifting again. In fact a good read thru the product control tutorials will help make things clear.

Thanks for that Geeg no interference taken. Went and printed off the tutorials and going to read and practice them now. Funny how different companies tell you different things but i can see what your saying about overexposure.

Thanks

what do you do if you have touched the eponychium with product, is there a way to safely remove it and avoid the product lifting?

Julie

monomer has at least 1 year shelf life. Most symptoms of aged monomer will be yellowing, and/or partial polymerization in the bottle. In other wors, if the nails are going mank and the cap seems gummy... I wouldnt use it ;)

julie, I am not sure what you mean as far as getting product on the skin. If you do get monomer (no polymer) on the skin... the concern shouldnt be lifting but rather overexposure.

Hope this helps! ;)

Latest posts

Back