Can older new starters do well?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my foundation course when I was 50 :lol::lol::lol:

Not old at all, I was 37 when I started my course and will be 40 this May and still not actually started work yet. There's a lot of inspiration to be had on here, not least Geeg. Hey Cathie, dont ask me why but I thought you were in your mid twenties!! :lol:

Hey I was 36 when i first started doing nails and am now 44:cry:.

My mum decided at the age of 50 that she wanted to go to beauty college and enrolled on a 2 year course.

She is now 65 and runs her own salon

Cobweb thats great - you and your mum - what a team eh?

Im about to start at 38 x

I am just starting out - will be starting my Professional Nail Technician course in the next few months and have my place at night school for VTCT Swedish Body Massage in September but I am 36 years old - am I crazy - is there an industry for me out there around all you young ladies when I am just starting out training at this age? Feedback appreciated.

Are you mad woman LOL!!! I was 43 when I started, you are a mere spring chicken me lovely.

You know what, for the first time in my life I don't want to be a twenty something again as I am around friends here x

You know what, for the first time in my life I don't want to be a twenty something again as I am around friends here x

That, hun, is the joy of Geekworld and its people :hug:

I am more than ten years older than you (HELP!!!!!) and I have only been in the nail industry for four years. You are never too old x

God no !!! There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle, as they say. I'll be 50 in December and aside from having to put on a pair of glasses as thick as coke bottles at the end of a waxing session to see if I've missed any hairs............Oh and a lifetime supply of Tena Lady, I'm doing great.

Don't let it worry you...........you're a baby. xxx :hug:

I started in this business when i was a ripe old
40 years old, dont let age stop you flower

I was 45 when I did my CND foundation nail course and I wasn't the oldest in the class !!!!!!!
So, you go girl :hug:

I was 49 when I started out on my NVQ level 2 nail services, then for a few reasons I had to take a year out, now I am back at college doing my level 3. I must be positively doddering if you think you are too old at 39 a mere baby you are. Go for it and enjoy every minute.

Joan

I am just starting out - will be starting my Professional Nail Technician course in the next few months and have my place at night school for VTCT Swedish Body Massage in September but I am 36 years old - am I crazy - is there an industry for me out there around all you young ladies when I am just starting out training at this age? Feedback appreciated.

Oh come on at 36 your still a young person...what has age got to do with it:smack: your as young as you feel....

Welcome to this fantastic buisness for ALL ages,colours sizes etc..

I will have a wager that with your "little extra life experiance" you have over the younger ladies strait out of School that your gonna rock and be at the top of the class and be as sucesfull (or not) as anyone else...

Its not about age(although I firmly believe that with age comes wisdome-then I would have to at my age:lol:)..its more about hard work and a little luck can help also.

So get out there and rock...ok if it helps you to feel not quiet so old compared to the other students in you class here are some tips for you
1) always sit at the back of the classroom.
2) wear sunglasses at all times
3) lots lippy could help
4) get yourself a toy boy that drops you off and picks you up each day
5) avoid direct sunlight at all times
6) try the paper bag trick..(always works a treat for me)
7) never stand next to your tutor if he/she is younger than you
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously though there are no boundries due to age in this buisness..in fact age can work for you..so get out there :hug:

I started when I was 43... I am now 47 and still doing more and more training.. its very addictive and I am loving every minute of it.

My clients like the fact that I am 'older' as they say they are put at ease with my manerisms and care that I give in my work. Best move I have ever made :)

tst tst tst..how old Jen...thats not what you put on your CV:lol::lol::lol:
You are the best...even given your age of course:hug::hug:

Oh come on at 36 your still a young person...what has age got to do with it:smack: your as young as you feel....

Welcome to this fantastic buisness for ALL ages,colours sizes etc..

I will have a wager that with your "little extra life experiance" you have over the younger ladies strait out of School that your gonna rock and be at the top of the class and be as sucesfull (or not) as anyone else...

Its not about age(although I firmly believe that with age comes wisdome-then I would have to at my age:lol:)..its more about hard work and a little luck can help also.

So get out there and rock...ok if it helps you to feel not quiet so old compared to the other students in you class here are some tips for you
1) always sit at the back of the classroom. No sit at the front - you have more chance of seeing
2) wear sunglasses at all times No they will interfere with your varifocals
3) lots lippy could help Not if it feathers in to those little creases
4) get yourself a toy boy that drops you off and picks you up each day No will drain your energy too much
5) avoid direct sunlight at all times I AGREE
6) try the paper bag trick..(always works a treat for me)DEFINITELY
7) never stand next to your tutor if he/she is younger than you Aren't they all ???
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously though there are no boundries due to age in this buisness..in fact age can work for you..so get out there :hug:

I work on the basis that my clients like the mature touch:lol:

I reckon you'll have an advantage! When I did my course there was a lady who was about 50, she got straight distinctions for 2 years running and was the first out of the class to finish all her practical and written assesments, so the first to leave the course!
She then got a job right away in the most established salon in town, it's been on the go since the 60's or something, so she has done so well!

go for it, you're never too old, as others have said you're a wee baby plus you've found this site now and it will help u loads! good luck xx

Thanks so much guys x

God no !!! There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle, as they say. I'll be 50 in December and aside from having to put on a pair of glasses as thick as coke bottles at the end of a waxing session to see if I've missed any hairs............Oh and a lifetime supply of Tena Lady, I'm doing great.

Don't let it worry you...........you're a baby. xxx :hug:
Flipping heck me and you both :lol: with regard to the glasses (and the TENA Lady) comes to the best of us :hug::hug:

I started in this business when i was a ripe old
40 years old, dont let age stop you flower
Glynnis is fab at nails - I am living proof of G's nails - they really are fab - despite that she is way past 40 :lol: :wink2: :smack:

Love ya both:hug: :hug:

Anway what am I on about I was 40 when I started out :lol:

Latest posts

Back