Can somebody help with assignment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ8

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am doing a college course for level 4 and have just completed an assignment for heath and safety. It’s due in soon and this is bothering me.. Iv answered all questions but my tutor said to try to add in a good and bad case of compliance legislation, if we wanted to. So I have been looking online for weeks and can’t seem to find any articles of anyone losing their business or being liable, i can’t find a single article of a beautician being sent to prison or sued or even being liable. Iv Googled in so many ways but it’s useless, can anyone point me in the right direction please? Or does anyone know about any cases that I have somehow missed, it would he such a good help

Teeth whitening has been a big issue on recent years, court cases etc
Perhaps google that one?

That’s a good idea thank you

Your case study doesn't have to find instances of business which were shut down. That's very rare. However a business may end up closing down voluntarily after receiving a warning from the Council.

Some people set up a salon without the technical knowledge to provide services to the required H&S standard. The point of the exercise is to understand the business implications of a failure in H &S. Imagine that you have been recruited by a struggling salon owner who needs a hand to tackle management deficiencies after a visit from trading standards. There are cost implications to remedying H and S offences as well as the cost of a fine. Staff may need training, equipment may need to be purchased and installed, insurance costs may escalate, customers may go elsewhere as a result of negative publicity.

Instead, you could ask Council trading standards what sort of health and safety complaints they typically investigate. You could then google these looking for local newspaper reports of magistrates court decisions. You could then search on Companies House to see if a business that has been fined in a magistrates court for H &S offences is still trading 12 months later.

Business that are still trading may have learned valuable lessons. There is a business near me that was fined for 2 separate offences. It's still trading and still popular. Meanwhile a competitor who was spot checked because of complaints about the first salon salon turned out to be using trafficked children to provide services. They weren't closed down for Health and Safety offences, instead a health and safety inspection turned into a criminal prosecution for more serious offences. They weren't shut down, the business instead changed hands and is now running under new management.

People try very hard not to wash their dirty linen in public, so it's not obvious that a business fails for compliance omissions and deficiencies. We don't know how many of the business that fail in their first three years of trading (currently 1 in 3) should never have been operating in the first place.

Thank you, this is really good advice and explains why there’s not a lot about it online, I had to find a good and bad case but struggled with both

Latest posts

Back