Can somebody please have a look?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndieBindii

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I am a very, very new geek and really could do with some help please? I would be so grateful if you could give me some comments on my website please?

It's the first one that I have ever designed and although it has taken me ages...I am really happy with the end product (however will take all criticism and comments really well!!!)...

I have loved reading loads of interesting posts on salongeek and what a brilliant way to stay super up to speed with what's happening in the beauty world!

Thank you so much (in advance...!),

Sophie

http://www.peacefulbeauty.co.uk

I think its lovely, peaceful and relaxing to look at.

I would only suggest the body treatments page is a bit of an eyeful as you have 2 columns which I didn't think worked. can you not have a separate page and call one body treatments and the other massage treatments rather than coupling them together?

and I love your username!

Thank you so much for looking! Thank you also for your comments.

I will definitely get two pages to break the "body treatments" page up.

I'm going to remove the "useful links" page and that way it can be easily split! A wee job for over the Christmas period I think!!

Sophie xx

I like the colours you have used on the website, I dont like how many times it says peaceful beauty and also with peaceful beauty being in a larger bold font throughout.

With the treatment pages, rather than having so much information on each page i would be inclined to do different pages and make them more clear.

:)

She could just be selling the brand of peaceful beauty and that is why it's repeated that often on the home page.

I think two columns could work on the body section but you would have to set it out differently, it is not clear from the start whether you should read down or across if you just glance at it. Maybe look at the layout to see which works best. If you are going to separate them why not made waxing a different page too?

hiya i think its really nice i would definately get rid of the peaceful beauty its too many times mentioned on the front page you could change it to we are mobile or we offer or we are based but i defo would change that its too much apart from that i think its great well done xxxx

Hi,

I agree with the amount of times Peaceful Beauty is used on the home page. It's a little repetitive and I think you could use we offer, we are etc.

I think the body treatments could do with being seperate pages, not only is it hard at a glance to work out which way to read, but it also adjusts the width of the text area from all the other pages and looks a little odd to me.

I love the colours used, very calming.

The only other thing I would look at/check is using stock images (if they are), make sure you have paid for them and haven't just taken them from Google otherwise it could all end up very unhappy with companies chasing your for using images without permission etc. Use your own images if you are unsure. :)

Thank you all very much for your comments...I really appreciate them!!

I will definitely sit down over the next couple of weeks and make some changes; the Body Treatments page and the repitition of Peaceful Beauty! I have maybe overdone it, I guess I just wanted to brand to be superclear but I think I may have gone a bit OTT! :)

Thank you for your comment about the pictures...I purchased all of the pictures used on my website to make sure that I was not breaking any copyright infringment!! I have heard how scary that can be!

Thank you geeks!!

Sophie xx

That's that done! :) I have edited the front page so that it states Peaceful Beauty in the text on 4 times now (instead of 9...eek!).

Thank you again for pointing that out!

Sophie xx

Ok, so I have edited the site (I knew I would just get too engrossed to leave it today!!!)...

I have moved Massage onto it's own page and entitled it "Holistic Treatments", as I am undertaking a number of holistic courses next year which can be added to that page.

I have left "Body Treatments" as Waxing, Back Facials, and Spray Tanning...

My website is not a free site, however, I only have 10 pages on it so am trying to maximise the space I have!

Any further comments would be gratefully received by me!

Thank you!

Sophie xx

Looks good hun, glad you purchased the pictures before hand. :)

Possibly the only other thing I might do would be to align the images to the centre to match up with your text. Have them aligned to the left and all the text centered may be a little off-putting to some.

I haven't read the content but it looks lovely. The pic on the front is very striking. Well done you. xx

Thank you so much for your comments Claire, I really appreciate them...you can get a bit saturated when looking at it yourself for so long! xx

Thank you Kim...I fell in love with that picture as soon as I saw it! I thought it would be a perfect front page pic! xx

web looks great now i was the same wen i set my website out and i asked for opinions and its not til other people point things out to u that u realise isnt it cos people would point things to me n i was like god yes that sounds better im still trying to finish mines lol good luck n have nice xmas and new year xx

Hi

Here's my two penneth worth.... Obviously this is what I would do if it were my website

If you can, try and fully justify/left allign all text (centralised text is off-putting when trying to read)

As others have said, try changing "Peaceful Beauty" to "we are.. etc. It looks to overloaded when using at the beginning/end of almost every paragraph.

Terms and Conditions should really be in the bottom footer, along with your business name, contact info etc (check out Newcastle & Sunderland Mobile Beauticians - Gentle Hands Beauty Treatments) - it just looks as though you have two "footers", and along with the two "guild" logo's and unnecessary search box (imo), it just looks so confusing.

If you can, try and line up your logos (bottom of face treaments page for example - there are 3 logos/pics? try and line them up on same line)

Back to alignment! - your text and centred, and your pictures left aligned - try and keep the same.

Lastly (although i've just looked briefly), try and use the same font throughout. there are at least two different ones, whereas if you used one font, it would keep consistantancy (sp) throughout the site.

Hope this helps.

It's a lovely first website, but Home pages with loads of writing always put me off to be honest. I hate scrolling and scrolling and scrolling! I know it's really hard to cut down but I personally would keep the first 3 paragraphs and that's it. I would place the rest of the remaining information in an 'About me' kind of page.

Also, your main banner at the top is nice with your salon name on every page but I always make sure to put my work address (or state mobile if applies) and a telephone number so that when a potential client decides they do want to book, there's your contact info on the top of every page. I think it helps lessen frustration in having then to search somewhere around for it! I noticed your telephone numbers at the bottom, it's weird but I always go straight to the top of any website! Everyone is different, so safe to put it at the top and bottom. I definately say top, because that's the first area any potential client sees as soon as they click to go onto your website.

I do love detailed information of treatments but having to go here there and clicky everywhere to find the prices for different treatments would bug me! Keep the prices where they are but I think also make just a 'price list' page with all the prices on.
So for example, I want a massage in your area. I've arrived on your website, read the first 3 paragraphs, short and sweet! Right, I'm going to see how many massage types you offer and what price ranges they are - I go to the Price list page. Aroma sounds nice but what's this chocolate indulgence??? - It's the same price. Right now I will go to your holistic page to see the descriptive difference (and as I mentioned before, no harm in keeping the prices here also, maybe some people may forget and will not have to flick back to the price list page.) Ok well the chocy one sounds lush - I want to contact you - scroll to the bottom - only telephone number here but I think address is always good. Oh no were you a salon or mobile? - always good to state it again wherever you put your contact details in case becuase people may forget after reading your home page, I did because I found there was too much to read - I just wanted to know about a massage, not a whole history straight away about the business.

Keep things simple, and always place contact info in an easy to see place, top and bottom just to be safe.

And just think, how do most women read magazines? - we skim to find what we want first most of the time, once found and read - we then go off to thoroughly read the rest in detail!

Think the same for your website, a client has gone on there most likely looking for a specific treatment and will proabably skim to find the information they want first before thoroughly perusing the rest in detail.

Sorry it was long-winded! Hope it helps though! :) x

Thanks Moby,

I have contacted the company who I have my website with to request additional pages so that I can create an About Me page; removing some of the info from the home page, and a Price List page. Thank you so much for all of your helpful comments! x

web looks great now i was the same wen i set my website out and i asked for opinions and its not til other people point things out to u that u realise isnt it cos people would point things to me n i was like god yes that sounds better im still trying to finish mines lol good luck n have nice xmas and new year xx

Thanks Bubs! I know...sometimes you just need another pair of eyes! :) Hope you had a lovely Christmas too xx

Hi

Here's my two penneth worth.... Obviously this is what I would do if it were my website

If you can, try and fully justify/left allign all text (centralised text is off-putting when trying to read)

As others have said, try changing "Peaceful Beauty" to "we are.. etc. It looks to overloaded when using at the beginning/end of almost every paragraph.

Terms and Conditions should really be in the bottom footer, along with your business name, contact info etc (check out Newcastle & Sunderland Mobile Beauticians - Gentle Hands Beauty Treatments) - it just looks as though you have two "footers", and along with the two "guild" logo's and unnecessary search box (imo), it just looks so confusing.

If you can, try and line up your logos (bottom of face treaments page for example - there are 3 logos/pics? try and line them up on same line)

Back to alignment! - your text and centred, and your pictures left aligned - try and keep the same.

Lastly (although i've just looked briefly), try and use the same font throughout. there are at least two different ones, whereas if you used one font, it would keep consistantancy (sp) throughout the site.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for all of your comments. It's strange that the pictures are coming up as left aligned on some people's screens, whereas on mine, they are centered as I selected them to be?? I will contact the company to find out why.

I have chacked out the fonts, because, everything that is written is in papyrus (or should be!?!?), and I have double checked it but can't seem to find where I've gone wrong (feel free to point the other text out please because it would be a huge help!)...

Kind regards,

Sophie

Latest posts

Back