Can someone clarify about soaking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
So I've just finished my training and have been taught that soaking is part of the manicure I now learn that it's bad for nails:confused:
Could someone please tell me the different steps of a manicure if I wasn't to soak? Would appreciate it as I'm really confused now:cry:

Thank you....I'll have a read through x

I'll be reading that to. I was also taught to soak x

Still a bit confusing!! Lol

I don't think it's confusing. No one should tell you 'this is the only way'! Every client is different so it is about understanding and doing what is right for that client.

I suppose the more experience I get the easier it will be to know when I should and shouldn't soak...it's just hard to get it out of my head as it was drummed in to soak every time!! And it was pushed that it was very important lol

So it's best to learn both methods then? So once trained I can assess clients hands/nails and make a decision. I am doing the complete course next week, are we taught both methods as looking at these threads it seems to be one or the other and not both. Sorry if I sound thick :confused: xx

i think you should at the moment whilst you are gaining confidence do what you feel comfortable with. id say its generally older clients that feel cheated if their hands are soaked during manicure and just need to be taught the reasons why it would be better not to soak (some will of course still insist!)

you could just soak when using exfoliants or masks and keep that part in your luxury manicure!!

To be honest I've just used my new curette and WOW I seem to get far more cuticle off the nail plate than when I was soaking anyway. I think I'll just soak from now on if the cuticle is very overgrown ;) xx

That makes sense, have just spoken to my CND educator and on the complete course we will be taught both methods...yeah :biggrin: xx

To be honest I've just used my new curette and WOW I seem to get far more cuticle off the nail plate than when I was soaking anyway. I think I'll just soak from now on if the cuticle is very overgrown ;) xx

just buy a bottle of CND cuticle away . it contains a mild acid (sodium hydroxide ). you put a dab on each cuticle, leave it for a minute and then push back with your chisel.

you need to neutalise the product with soapy water before you proceed to apply your base etc.

it does a fantastic job at cleaning the nail plate , it just zips the dead tissue off gently, quickly and efficiently.

i love it and use it on just about everyone. really is a super product and no need to soak!!:biggrin:

just buy a bottle of CND cuticle away . it contains a mild acid (sodium hydroxide ). you put a dab on each cuticle, leave it for a minute and then push back with your chisel.

you need to neutalise the product with soapy water before you proceed to apply your base etc.

it does a fantastic job at cleaning the nail plate , it just zips the dead tissue off gently, quickly and efficiently.

i love it and use it on just about everyone. really is a super product and no need to soak!!:biggrin:
Just to clarify - Cuticle away is a 20% (very high) concentration of NaOH - Sodium hydroxide - which is an alkaline (the opposite of an acid)

An alkaline actually breaks the bond between skin cells - starting with the weakest first (dead skin cells) this is why it is so fantastic for cuticle. However, if left on it will continue to work into living tissue...

It is professional strength, and should only be used when you know how. As mentioned it must be thoroughly washed away with water and a mild detergent to stop it from continuing to work.

At the other end of the scale (consumer home use) is Cuticle eraser - which is a mild 5% concentration of AHA - Alpha hydroxy acid - primarily glycolic acid (an AHA)

Both are amazing products that I strong recommend.
Cuticle eraser i ensure every client uses regularly with solar oil -
I describe this as shampoo and conditioner for your fingers and nails..

hths
AHA sets off a reaction in the skin which encourages exfoliation, keeping your skin and cuticle area looking fresh and new.
As the concentration is mild, it can and should be used daily as part of your homecare routine.

Yep! Sodium hydroxide is not acid it is alkaline and rather than being mild, 20% concentration is actually on the high side.

I am repeating Allen because it is an important point and one that we as CND technicians should be aware of and get right, so it needs emphasising! Best to really understand your product chemistry especially if you are going to pass that information on to others ... :hug:

Latest posts

Back