Can someone help - WHITLOW

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a painful witlow..... I pulled what I thought was a thin piece of nail down the side of my nail and it is killing me.... What can I do to clear it up or help.

Any suggestions?

Carly x

bless you, know how you feel i had it one finger a couple of days ago and was itching me like mad! try some savlon cream to help it heal and some solar oil, it worked for me! also if its really long you can carefull trim it so it doesnt catch and pull, hope this helps :)

Thank you for your help, I'm hoping it goes by Christmas.... Don't want it to get in the way of OPEN ALL THOSE PRESENTS!!

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Carly x

I wonder if any of the nail geeks could tell me why whitlows are so named? Bit of a random question but I've wondered this for years!

Try some drawing cream you can buy it from over the counter at boots.I had 1 the other week and the pain wqas unreall all finger swelled up aswell,so i bought the cream wrapped it up and it worked a treat xx

bathe it in salt water 3 x daily, if it doesnt get better see your gp you may have got it infected, and he will give you anti biotics or anti biotic ointment...keep it clean and dont dig around, maybe wear a plaster until its less painful to cushion, i would advice against drawing out creams ie....mag sulph paste as you should apply to broken skin..
hth

Hi,yes i agree with joanne aswell about the bathing with salt water and the dr's as it may be infected.I did the salt water with mine but didnt work,so some one adviced me to get the drawing cream so i used it,which worked.
Like joanne said try water/salt first,good luck as i know how painfill it can be.Dont make it worse by picking/digging at it it will only agravate it more xx

Okay what exactly is a whitlow? When i look it up it says its a form of herpes? What does one look like?

Basically its a septic finger down the side of your nail.Dont think it has anything to do with the herpes virus.Notoriously hard to get rid of,often require antibiotics ...and very very painful. Go to docs and get some antibiotics as a stand by, even if you dont take them at least you have them for over christmas just in case it will not go by other means.

Here's a pic too:

190px-Paronychia.jpg

Latest posts

Back