Can use Wella 0/88 on its own for brassy hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesUK

Reaction score
Is it possible to use Special Mix 0/88 on it's own with a developer, say a pea size of colour with 100-120ml developer (1.9%)? I struggle to get my hair looking neutral/cool! Base level is 4-5 and has been bleached over the years. I've just bleached it about 0.5-1 level lighter, then used Colour Touch 8/81 (with 4%) a day later. Before pic is left, After pic is right - barely a difference! I know I have high porosity hair which doesn't always help. I've tried various shades of CT, Illumina and Koleston over the years but with little success.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 10.39.09.png

Last edited:
Any advice please?

Did you try the Shinefinity? 09/61 would be nice :)

Is it possible to use Special Mix 0/88 on it's own with a developer, say a pea size of colour with 100-120ml developer (1.9%)? I struggle to get my hair looking neutral/cool! Base level is 4-5 and has been bleached over the years. I've just bleached it about 0.5-1 level lighter, then used Colour Touch 8/81 (with 4%) a day later. Before pic is left, After pic is right - barely a difference! I know I have high porosity hair which doesn't always help. I've tried various shades of CT, Illumina and Koleston over the years but with little success.

View attachment 213743
I wouldn't recommend it. You'd end up with khaki hair. It's pure blue tone. Because your hair is predominantly yellow you'll have a dark green colour.
9/86 would probably be a good choice.

I feel like I see orange in your hair as well. My personal opinion are these 2 options:
1. Lighten your ends. Maybe with a basin beliage. I would shampoo 1 time, seal and care, 1 part power 3 parts 6% to clean out the ends then maybe go in with 9/16, 8/0 and 9/03.
2. As there is orange your toner should be deeper. 8/0, 7/0 and 7/97 with less then a gram of /68 could be nice but you will feel a little darker.

I feel like I see orange in your hair as well. My personal opinion are these 2 options:
1. Lighten your ends. Maybe with a basin beliage. I would shampoo 1 time, seal and care, 1 part power 3 parts 6% to clean out the ends then maybe go in with 9/16, 8/0 and 9/03.
2. As there is orange your toner should be deeper. 8/0, 7/0 and 7/97 with less then a gram of /68 could be nice but you will feel a little darker.
thx. Yes plenty of orange in there as well!

I wouldn't recommend it. You'd end up with khaki hair. It's pure blue tone. Because your hair is predominantly yellow you'll have a dark green colour.
9/86 would probably be a good choice.
Thx! I'm now thinking /66 or /68 would be better. Kind of need the effect of a really strong purple shampoo :0)

Thx! I'm now thinking /66 or /68 would be better. Kind of need the effect of a really strong purple shampoo :0)
I'd do a strand test. Before putting anything on all over.
The mix tones / pure tones are designed to change the tonality of a pre blended colour. So you'd never use them on their own as they're way too dense.
I'm not saying I don't see orange, I just don't think it's purely orange, there's definitely a lot of yellow too.
If you ignore the yellow and just work to neutralise the orange you will get khaki. The yellow will still be there and mix with any residual blue tones and leave a green hue.
If you happen to have acces to multiple shades? The reason we can't tone to a lighter level is because of the dye load wouldn't be heavy enough to cope with the amount of underlying pigment for that level. But there's nothing to say you can't add extra tone to a lighter shade to limit the deposit of depth but increase the tonality of it. I'd start with 8/96 and add in some 0/88 if that's what you have. But to this correctly you would mix in 1.5g 0.88 for every 30g of 8/96 used. Or better still use colour touch for a nicer finish and a healthier shine ..... You could use 30g 8/81 + 1.5g 0/86 with 1.9%

I'd do a strand test. Before putting anything on all over.
The mix tones / pure tones are designed to change the tonality of a pre blended colour. So you'd never use them on their own as they're way too dense.
I'm not saying I don't see orange, I just don't think it's purely orange, there's definitely a lot of yellow too.
If you ignore the yellow and just work to neutralise the orange you will get khaki. The yellow will still be there and mix with any residual blue tones and leave a green hue.
If you happen to have acces to multiple shades? The reason we can't tone to a lighter level is because of the dye load wouldn't be heavy enough to cope with the amount of underlying pigment for that level. But there's nothing to say you can't add extra tone to a lighter shade to limit the deposit of depth but increase the tonality of it. I'd start with 8/96 and add in some 0/88 if that's what you have. But to this correctly you would mix in 1.5g 0.88 for every 30g of 8/96 used. Or better still use colour touch for a nicer finish and a healthier shine ..... You could use 30g 8/81 + 1.5g 0/86 with 1.9%
Hair looks much better thanks! I used 40ml CT 8/81 and 2ml /68, with Welloxon Pastel (that’s what I had). Might go for a tiny bit more /68 next time and see how it goes. Thx again!

Attachments

• 8CE0B2D4-C9D8-404A-B377-6D96744E7218.jpeg
    8CE0B2D4-C9D8-404A-B377-6D96744E7218.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back