can waxing cause dermatitis or psoriasis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwee

Ice Hockey Geek
Reaction score
hi, need help :cry:... I waxed my friends bikini area a month ago. 2 weeks after she told me that the skin was flakey and i thought.. crap,i've taken the skin off :eek: which i havent done to a client before, so i came on here... and now use oil before waxing which has made waxing alot better. Anyway, my friend asked me to wax her underarms for her tonight which i did. I asked how the bikini area was and she showed me.... Well all i can say is that i was very shocked. raise slight pinky, flakey patches. I freaked out thinking what the feck have i done! but thinking about it logically... I waxed her underarms at the same time as the bikini line and she hasnt had any problems there, I have waxed alot of people after her, myself included, no problems, I test the wax temperature on myself, she said at the time it didnt hurt or feel any different, I pre wax, use clean spatulas etc, use hand sanitising gel. I'm really confused as to what has happened. I have told her to go to the doctors but i really wanted some advise from you guys. to me it looked like dermatisis or psoriasis. has anyone else come across this, does anyone know if waxing can cause this (i've been waxing her for months without a problem). I just feel like crap, my confidence is knocked really anyway so please be gentle with me.

Thank you xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Linzie

Does she suffer from ingrowing hairs?

Each area is different she could have been more sensitive there especially if she hadnt had it done before and had been shaving.It neednt be an allergy to the wax either but could be from the lotions.I first thought it sounds like burning but would have thought this would have affected her under arm.Is it itchy and sore as well as flakey.Could she have used a sunbed or perfumed shower gel or cream afterwards.

no this hasn't caused this at all it is a skin disorder as my mother in law has it have a look here it should tell you all about them both
.Causes of dermatitis

hope this helps

can waxing cause dermatisis or psoriasis?

No, absolutely not. Are you sure there was enough oil on the area? Did you pull the skin tight enough? I'm sure there is a logical explanation... but dermatitis or psoriasis are not caused from waxing.

Believe it or not... psorisis is most often passed along by genetics.I know,that's the sh*ts! I think that some types of dermatis and other skin conditions can be a result of allergies etc. (contact allergies)

Shes doesnt really get ingrowing hairs, when i did the wax i didnt use oil ( i do now) i was always taught to use talc. I have waxed her bikini areas for a few months without problems. She doesnt use a sunbed. I'm sure i pulled the skin enough cause i get her to help as well.

the thing is, its red in areas that i wouldnt have waxed. on her tummy, to the left just above the pubic area theres a red bit. its about the size of a 50p, only a mm of it would be where i waxed. so i dont understand why its red where i didnt wax.

I just read that article on cause of dermatitis.. it could be Allergic contact dermatitis ... shes going to doctors so will have to wait i suppose. v odd

Has she been to her GP? Maybe he could offer some explanation. I'm sure it's nothing you've done, sounds like you did everything right.

What aftercare did you give and did she follow it? Maybe she went on sunbed, swimming or put unsuitable cream/lotion on afterwards?

Sometimes I get a flakey patch on my bikini line - it could just be the skin is more sensitive or fragile and doesnt cope well with trauma. It clears after a few days. It needs to be continuously moisturised with after wax to keep the skin supple, otherwise it just dries out further.

thanks guys, feeling abit better about it. Shes going to see the doctor on monday. i'll let you know what the doc says to her. I always tell her to aftercare rules and as far as i'm aware she follows them.The more i think about it, the more i think that i didnt do anything wrong, I've been doing it for 6 years, if i cant do it right now I never will! ha ha xxx

thanks guys, feeling abit better about it. Shes going to see the doctor on monday. i'll let you know what the doc says to her. I always tell her to aftercare rules and as far as i'm aware she follows them.The more i think about it, the more i think that i didnt do anything wrong, I've been doing it for 6 years, if i cant do it right now I never will! ha ha xxx

I think you're absolutely right. Don't let it knock your confidence, onwards and upwards! x

Latest posts

Back