Can we please get this right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine Mary

Reaction score
Is it possible please for some of us to use the correct terminology?
As we are all "professionals", when we refer to electric files, that is just what they are...........NOT drills!!!

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think in the 90's when nail danglees were really popular the drill thing stuck, as I remember them being used (with the relevant bit) some times to create the hole for the danglee.

Looking forward to booking an E file course soon!

When I was pondering on returning to the nail scene and started lurking on here, I admit to wondering what the heck a drill was. It sounded quite scarey!

It's also interesting how the word cuticle is still misused and it's surprising who by sometimes.

I am sure I previously posted this, but a lot of people always called e files drills to make sure people knew they could cause holes :eek: geeg back me up here I am sure you did this too!
Ok we are all a bit more savvy now and there are more training courses available for E files so it is now accepted that even good techs use them.....but old habits die hard!
I would rather pros on here knew the difference between cuticle and eponychium or nail plate and nail bed :wink2:

I am sure I previously posted this, but a lot of people always called e files drills to make sure people knew they could cause holes :eek: geeg back me up here I am sure you did this too!
Ok we are all a bit more savvy now and there are more training courses available for E files so it is now accepted that even good techs use them.....but old habits die hard!
I would rather pros on here knew the difference between cuticle and eponychium or nail plate and nail bed :wink2:

I quite agree!

Whilst I agree that on a training site it is important for people to use correct terminology, E-file presents a better image, however I dont consider 'Drill' as incorrect terminology as this is what many manufacturers themselves refer to them as.

Whilst I agree that on a training site it is important for people to use correct terminology, E-file presents a better image, however I dont consider 'Drill' as incorrect terminology as this is what many manufacturers themselves refer to them as.

I have been calling a drill a drill for 30 years ... It is what it is. It certainly is not incorrect terminology to call it what it is rather than protecting people's sensibilities by dressing it up under a name with a better image. :biggrin: either name is OK to use by me.

It is funny to note than when talking about NSS or the discount salons no one has a problem referring to what they use as drills!! Never hear anyone rant about discount salons using e-files. .... Always drills. :lol: I guess it becomes an e-file (or as we call them, é-filés) if the one using them speaks English as a first language and runs a different type of salon. .?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Im with you here on this, its a bit of a tricky one I think since the word "Drill" does enduce ideas about DIY tools, walls, B & Q and drilling holes :D

Maybe if the word "File" was used more, it would help extinguish some of the bad feeling about nail drills and e files in general? Just an idea :)

I remember having all sorts of issues on my mind about e files, thinking that I would never be able to use one safely, also thinking that I wouldnt be able to achive the same nail shape as I do by hand etc, however I was pleased to find that the people who I trained with at Ez Flow now offer E file courses - this put my mind at rest massively.

I have been calling a drill a drill for 30 years ... It is what it is. It certainly is not incorrect terminology to call it what it is rather than protecting people's sensibilities by dressing it up under a name with a better image. :biggrin: either name is OK to use by me.

It is funny to note than when talking about NSS or the discount salons no one has a problem referring to what they use as drills!! Never hear anyone rant about discount salons using e-files. .... Always drills. :lol: I guess it becomes an e-file (or as we call them, é-filés) if the one using them speaks English as a first language and runs a different type of salon. .?? :rolleyes:

As always Geeg, very astute observation. In another thread I saw the name Ketan Patel. Being from the US I had to google him. Amazing man, indeed. My search brought up an article (couldn't find a date it was written) on an CND workshop he was involved in (and you, too??) for nail techs "whose 1st language was not English" . Is that still continuing?

As always Geeg, very astute observation. In another thread I saw the name Ketan Patel. Being from the US I had to google him. Amazing man, indeed. My search brought up an article (couldn't find a date it was written) on an CND workshop he was involved in (and you, too??) for nail techs "whose 1st language was not English" . Is that still continuing?

Very much so! Huge success. The girls are just amazing and so keen to learn. Anna (*flower* ) is leading the way. So proud of her.

Well kudos to CND and you, Geeg! Instead of complaining and feeling threatened by discount salons you've DONE something to elevate ALL nail techs.

Well kudos to CND and you, Geeg! Instead of complaining and feeling threatened by discount salons you've DONE something to elevate ALL nail techs.
I know so. There is always a better way of dealing with things than condemnation.

Latest posts

Back