Can we talk about retail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
A bit of background here first…

I’ve owned my own salon for 5 ½ years. I run it from home, in a lovely, affluent village, but it’s just me, my humsbums and the cat.
A couple of years ago those of us who use Swissdermyl started having problems getting stock from the UK distributor. He had become unwell and eventually was unable to continue, and one year ago we took over the distribution.
When things became difficult with supply I phoned Swissdermyl HQ in Geneva and had a proper Lynne rant about it all. Those of you who know me will understand how that would strike fear into the hearts of men!

There was a short pause when I told them who I was. Ooooh, they said, we know exactly who you are; you’re the UK’s biggest customer of Swissdermyl!

So, a year on, we can analyse our trade customers’ buying habits because we have spent a lot of money on a fancy accounting/inventory system. We have 174 salons buying regularly from us, and some of them spend A LOT of money on salon products. And yet, here I am, running a salon, growing a distribution business and trying to have some kind of outside life too, and my salon is STILL the UK’s biggest customer of Swissdermyl. By a country mile.
I might add here that my salon gets no discount whatsoever; if our customers pay £20 for something, so does Calla Salon. The only thing I don’t pay is postage!
When I look at purchases of retail product, it is, on the whole, woeful, when compared to the purchases of salon product. Again, Calla Salon is the UK’s biggest seller of retail products too.

I’d like to understand why that might be.
I’m thinking of running a kind of retailing workshop for our customers to better understand why they’re not retailing to their facial customers, to help them to understand the importance of it, and to teach them how to succeed at it, and I’d really like to hear from geekers how they feel about retailing.
Do you do it? If not, what stops you?
What would make you change your stance on retailing?
What percentage of your revenue comes from retail product?
How important is it to you?
How would you feel about attending a training session if it would give you the skills to sell more retail product?

Any and all views are welcome.
Thanks!

Hi Lynne,

I can't answer all your questions as im not working at the mo (mat leave) however i do plan on becoming self enployed later in the year and am very intrested in swiss deryml.

I do think that it would be fantastic to offer retail training.
Mainly because it is not something that is really taught.

I never used to retail in my early years as a) lack of confidence to "sell" b) I didn't know how to sell c) I didn't understand how to close a sale d) I felt bad/greedy/embarrassed making a sale and taking a customers money.

I have since moved on from the "retail fear" whilst working in a department store, where you are set targets, and undergo product and retail training.

I can now sell anything as long as I like the product.

I think that by educating your stockist how to retail you renew their enthusiasm about the product, explain the importance of aftercare and take that uncomfortable feeling away when retailing.

Closing the "sale is so important and before I didn't realise that I was spending my time gushing over the products I was using but never thought to say "would you like to take x y and z today to maintain ....". Instead I'd let the client walk out the door after all my chatter happily taking their treatment money and my client would pop into boots for their exfoliate/mask etc.

fabulous idea and another thought provoking thread from yourself xxx

How do I retail?
I know my product inside out.

Exactly Rinn. It's much easier to retail when you're backed up with efficient and effective products!

Do you do it? If not, what stops you?
What would make you change your stance on retailing?
What percentage of your revenue comes from retail product?
How important is it to you?
How would you feel about attending a training session if it would give you the skills to sell more retail product?

Any and all views are welcome.
Thanks!

I am a home nail salon with just me running it outside of my three shifts a week in my other job.

I retail items that I fully believe in that will meet my clients needs both for aftercare and for general improvement of their nails. These include items like Solar Oil, Cuticle Eraser/Rejuvenator, Kanga files, removal kits, Scentsations and now Vinylux.

Solar Oil is my biggest seller, even to people that have never visited my salon and I think this is because of the way I 'sell' it to people. I absolutely believe in it as a product and I think this comes across and people trust me.

With regards to revenue created by retail, I would really like to increase it as it is not enough at the moment. Being a room within a private house and by appointment only, I do not have great retail opportunities like a commercial property would with their walk ins, so I would love to work on this and improve it. Although, you run your salon from your home, so I know this is possible!

I would absolutely love to attend a work shop to improve my retail sales. I would also like to learn about the rights of the consumer when it comes to buying online as well as I am now going to take my website into the online purchasing world and to be honest, it scares me a little so I need to swat up.

I smell what sells! in a nutshell, but for my therapists and hd i feel they do lack at times the drive to know your products, that why i think it is essential to know your products inside and out. Know key points on each brand and use it from memory. courses are great for enthusism, confidence and generally help you get a jist around the product.

My biggest push for sells is to do it in a manner where, they know its required as a prescription rather than hard sell. I like to not push it in peoples faces as this does turn people off. I like exclusitivity in the sense of its a pro product to sell in salons, rather than any ol tom getting thier mitts via online.

I recently started stocking a well known brand of 25yrs plus in my salon, and its sold itself, it took me a month to get my own head around the brand, but i was so happy i was offered courses and handbooks/guide sheets to know more about each item. xoxo

Hi Lynne,

As you know I'm a Swissdermyl and Environ stockist. I never was able to sell products - maybe 1 cream a year, when I stocked only Thalgo. Then I did a one week course with Environ, and suddenly I could sell. Not only because I personally rate the product, but also because that week long training course taught me so much that I was able to educate my clients.

I really try not to bore them with it, but I know that any questions they have, I can answer with confidence. I also tell people a story often about a real client and the effects the products have had on their skin. It is a way of introducing it without "selling" and it works very well for me.

I sometimes miss a trick - the 31 year old client who wanted botox and was using Clinique. I told her before she had botox, use a decent skin care range, so she went out and bought Clarins. I didn't reiterate that I retail great skincare!!!

I remember listening to Hilary Devey talking about retail, and just a quick "Did you need any products today" can result in a sale - it also reminds your clients that you do sell things. I did it yesterday and sold a face cream. I can often double my takings with retail. I see it as money for nothing!!!

My daughter has now joined the business and we are enrolled on the Jane Iredale make up training next week so my daughter knows what makes this make up different, and we are doing the Environ training together in October, so we both have all the latest info.

I definitely think training and a passion for your products is the key, but also having a great rapport with your clients leads to trust x

I honestly think that the main problem when it comes to retailing for most therapists and hd is getting past the "no". It's a word they are terrified to hear, as if it somehow reflects on them and destroys their relationship with the client. They project too many of their own fears, likes and dislikes onto the client.

im going to reiterate what has been said but it really is knowing your product inside and out, knowing the key ingredients and their benefits to a whole range of people not just one person!

My clients range in age from 17 to 75 so i have to be able to understand different skin types, lifestyles as well as peoples affordability of products especially as I dont currently have a card machine this affects how much people will buy!

None of us know naturally how to sell and to be honest i dont want to push things onto my clients and they respect me for that but when i know they NEED something i tell them and then they trust my advice.

Lynne, I think how to retail products as a workshop would be great for your customers but i think they will get far more from just meeting you and realising your passion for the product and how you personally retail to clients....just for clarification to anyone else, I dont know lynne nor have i met Lynne.....what i do know from her posts is that she knows her stuff and wants to help all of you be the best as well so a workshop with Lynne would benefit all therapists in my opinion whether they have been great selling in the past or not xx

im going to reiterate what has been said but it really is knowing your product inside and out, knowing the key ingredients and their benefits to a whole range of people not just one person!

My clients range in age from 17 to 75 so i have to be able to understand different skin types, lifestyles as well as peoples affordability of products especially as I dont currently have a card machine this affects how much people will buy!

None of us know naturally how to sell and to be honest i dont want to push things onto my clients and they respect me for that but when i know they NEED something i tell them and then they trust my advice.

Lynne, I think how to retail products as a workshop would be great for your customers but i think they will get far more from just meeting you and realising your passion for the product and how you personally retail to clients....just for clarification to anyone else, I dont know lynne nor have i met Lynne.....what i do know from her posts is that she knows her stuff and wants to help all of you be the best as well so a workshop with Lynne would benefit all therapists in my opinion whether they have been great selling in the past or not xx

Souz, why not get sumup, they're doing the reader free and it's 2.75% on each card sale:

http://sumup.co.uk/go/cards

Dnx

I am aiming for 20% of my total business takings to be retail. At the moment I am achieving somewhere from 5-10%.

I do have some sales training from working on a make up counter for nearly two years and do think that has helped me hugely (in both what to do to close a sale, but also that the pushy tactics i was taught do no work in a salon environment !)

I think retailing is so important and not only does it increase my profits but it also makes me more of a professional in the eyes of my clients. All are impressed when they have a grievance with the nails/hands/feet and i prescribe them something to use at home that actually works. Increased confidence in your therapist will also increase loyalty. I think any one in a salon environment who isn't retailing is nuts :p

I would love to do some extra training and think it never hurts to pick up a few tips.

I think i am struggling at the moment with retail because I have mainly regular clients and many have already bought the products i sell , i need to think outside the box and have a wider range of things to sell :)

Thank you all so much for your feedback.
I'll put together a retailing workshop teaching plan and ask for your opinions, if that's ok?
Thanks!

I actually love retail. I don't know how or why I am good at it but I am and I actually enjoy selling to people.

The way I see it is people are going to buy "stuff" every day regardless if it is us offering it to them or somebody else. I just like to make sure "I" am the person they chose to buy from. That said, I will never sell people stuff for the sake of a sale, I will only sell to people if it is something I genuinely feel they will benefit from.

It frustraits me no end when people don't know how to sell and I just want to jump in there and do it for them so i think this would be a great opportunity for you Lynne :)

For me retailing is all about confidence, when I feel confident in my services and my product knowledge I sell more.

I've only recently started retailing and I don't sell tonnes as I'm part time and don't keep lots in stock but I do now regularly retail solar oil, Vinylux and scentsations and some of my own hand painted bits which I'm really pleased about.

At first I was always surprised when I recommended things to people and they said 'great, I'll take that, how much?' but it's getting easier as my confidence grows.

A workshop on this specifically would be so helpful.

Souz, why not get sumup, they're doing the reader free and it's 2.75% on each card sale:

http://sumup.co.uk/go/cards

Dnx

Hi Dnx, are you already using sumup and can you tell me more about the service you've received so far for example, how long it takes for the funds to get into your account. Also I understand you don't get charged any monthly fee but just a percentage on each transaction. Do you know if this is chip and pin and what do your clients feel about it in general? Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you think people would expect a workshop like this to be free?
If you had to pay for it would it put you off?

Do you think people would expect a workshop like this to be free?
If you had to pay for it would it put you off?

Depends how well you can sell the concept of it :D

Dermalogica and the big hair companies offer it free. If it was an online tutorial for a small charge, you could offer it almost overhead free.

oooo, good idea.
Hadn't thought of offering it online!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Could you offer it free to people who buy from you but charge anyone else? By providing it for others it would give an awareness of your brand so possibly get you more sales?

Yes, that's what we'd originally thought of. We'd make any fee for it redeemable against purchases for our existing customers.

Latest posts

Back