Can you be poor and happy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although 'money doesn't bring you happiness but I'd rather be sad in my ferrari.' Lol

Ha ha love it - made me chuckle....hold on i'll pass you the solid gold tissue box through the window so you can wipe away the tears.....

I have known poverty i have gone hungry My first home as an adult was a mini bus i was 16 . then a porta cabin on a scrap yard, before i moved into a council flat where half the block was already demolished. was i happy .. ..Yes because i was free and with a girl i loved. I learned a few sayings when iwas struggling and i use them daily

```Money cant buy you love .. but neither can poverty.

Its Nice to be important, but its more important to be nice

and smile like you mean it
i drive a 1990 car i live in a terrace house and still shop at peacocks and lidl. because i am not flash.. roof sorted .. wheels sorted

Well I've been poor, and I've been rich, and I have to say I was probably happiest somewhere in the middle.
Once I'd got to the stage that all bills were paid and I could save a bit I'd say that was probably my happy point. It was when life was least complicated.
When you're rich, every bugger hates your guts, people get jealous and it becomes more difficult to relate to those around you who don't share your problems. Being rich makes life more complex and brings it's own problems.

There are so many variants and it's a totally subjective thing, which is probably why this kind of subject crops up every now and again.

Growing up we were very poor and my mother was a single parent which was not the norm back then. We got by and along the way I learnt some valuable lessons on how to manage money and respect the value of things. Life was tough and sometimes very unpleasant, but not anything to do with money so being poor did not affect my happiness.

Now I'm an adult I earn a good wage and so does my husband and I am in charge of my happiness and life, but again, nothing to do with a change in income.
Take a look at Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, his theory suggests that you reach Self Actualisation (happiness for some) by working from the bottom, through the levels to reach the top. Each level of need needs to be fulfilled before you can move on.

A bit heavy for 08.00am, but hey ho!

I started life with little money but can remember so many happy memories that I had with my family.
My dad started is own business and by the time I was 10 we were well off and I didn't go without basically I was a spoilt brat, we were happy and comfortable but after a few years I saw the arguments between my mum and dad about money, the hours my dad had to work and the months he spent away from us and we weren't happy.
I then moved out at 16 and it hit me hard that money doesn't just grow on trees and I had no money after my bills were payed BUT I was extremely happy at this time. I worked overtime to have a little extra money and I still managed to do things with friends/family that didn't cost much.
I've hit rock bottom with money to the point me and my husband and our new born baby were homeless and had to do debt management plans. The stress of all that did not make us happy.
We are now in a position where our bills can be paid and we can buy food etc without worrying but there is little money left over but I can honestly say I'm happy yes abit more money would be nice but I've seen money tear family's apart and I've seen family's at rock bottom that are stronger together and fight to make good memories for there children.
So I don't think money makes people happy I also don't think I makes people unhappy, the stress of not having any money can be hard but it's YOU that's makes your life happy or not.

One thing money cannot buy is your health. I'd rather be poor and healthy than rich and poorly.

Yes, yes and yes

We could easily x3-4 our income if i allowed my huby to turn his hobby into 'work' and I got a part time job.

He works as a postman, he has a degree and could earn more but as a postman he is back before lunch, he helps around the house and is there for me and the kids when they come home.

He's hobby/likes is buying and selling cars, he is very good and can earn £800 extra a week if not more (it would take a lot of time and could cause some stress, if a car was faulty money would be lost).

I'm a student, I only go to college 3 days a week. I could work part time but it would be too much as my health is not great.

As you can see, we can earn a lot more but in doing so we will not have such an excellent family life. I know my kids and huby like the back of my hand. We holiday in the uk or Europe every few months. A good family and family life is better then been dressed up in diamonds but alone.

Once my home salon is ready, I'll be working around my family.

Without doubt it is difficult to be happy if you have unmanageable debt. I would be in a constant state of anxiety if this was the case.

Beyond that, happiness is based on good health, a happy family, a sense of purpose and worth and lovely friends. If you can attain these you are blessed.

A minor point I would make is to consider the friends you have around you. I have friends ranging from extremely wealthy to just scraping by, but I feel comfortable with both, and I think they do with me. If, though, I was in a constant state of envy over holidays/cars/houses in different countries etc then I'd be unhappy!

Great thread!

One thing money cannot buy is your health. I'd rather be poor and healthy than rich and poorly.

....... but private healthcare can sure go a long way to help, everyone is going to die. ..that's the only part that is guaranteed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think its a strange concept but i think it depends on £££.

Its simplistic ideals that for me i know i had a great childhood, playing in the street, no gameboy or sega mega drive! Listening to a cassette- yeh i went there! Going to rent VHS...uff! Buying 5p ice lollies! Ive grown up in a working class environment and maybe its my cultural upbring to work hard, not really think about the money side of things.

Ive seen people from so many backgrounds and when i went to university i didnt realise the struggle some people had just to get in. How to live as a student! Its poor and happy- living on £5-20 a week is hard- but one of the best times in my life! As a frugal type of person im very stingy but ive created my own happiness. I do have a tinie tiny bit left to pay off...(still!) I do consider myself very successful in what ive achieved but the money doesnt equate happiness for me.

I live in a very affluent area, and i have seen alot of people with money and no love. I do think there are parallels to each other; money or love. The people in love dont care about money and the people with money yearn for love. xoxo

Yes, yes and yes

We could easily x3-4 our income if i allowed my huby to turn his hobby into 'work' and I got a part time job.

He works as a postman, he has a degree and could earn more but as a postman he is back before lunch, he helps around the house and is there for me and the kids when they come home.

He's hobby/likes is buying and selling cars, he is very good and can earn £800 extra a week if not more (it would take a lot of time and could cause some stress, if a car was faulty money would be lost).

I'm a student, I only go to college 3 days a week. I could work part time but it would be too much as my health is not great.

As you can see, we can earn a lot more but in doing so we will not have such an excellent family life. I know my kids and huby like the back of my hand. We holiday in the uk or Europe every few months. A good family and family life is better then been dressed up in diamonds but alone.

Once my home salon is ready, I'll be working around my family.

Good work life balance - just what I love to see as it does matter to the kids! They need to feel like their parents are there for them! When I was young my best friends parents were really wealthy but always at work. No one there to meet her at the school gates, she had a nanny who was there after school but when we got older she would prepare her own dinner and the parents would be home around 6/7 pm! Compared to mine who earnt peanuts but always met me at the school hates or were there waiting for us when we got home from school she was so jealous! She even called my dad, dad! It makes all the difference.

It all depends i guess, my mum and dad brought me up to believe money dose not bring happiness and i guess i agree, I have a close friend who is loaded and over the years has struggled with happiness, she has never had to work (though she dose now and again) and never paid bills ect.
But then on the other hand if your struggling to put food on the table i cant see how that wouldn't get you down.
I guess its all down to situations ect x x

ahh but poorer people are more likely to suffer ill health.

I am always interested in the "kids need their parents to be there" debate. I went to a childminder until I was 13 ( I stayed til that age as I loved it not because my parents made me). My mum and dad are both professionals and we were quite well off, lived in a nice house, went on holiday 2-3 times a year etc.

I went to a childminder from 6months old everyday and it was the best. As a child I learned to play with other children, had structure to my day and looked after the younger kids when I got that bit older. It never did me any harm and I never felt that my parents loved me any less for not being there at the school gates or that I was there for 8 hours a day without them.

I don't think either argument is wrong or right but I just don't like the demonising of working mums by some people for not choosing their children over their career (and I don't mean anyone here has done that :) )

I have known poverty i have gone hungry My first home as an adult was a mini bus i was 16 . then a porta cabin on a scrap yard, before i moved into a council flat where half the block was already demolished. was i happy .. ..Yes because i was free and with a girl i loved. I learned a few sayings when iwas struggling and i use them daily

```Money cant buy you love .. but neither can poverty.

Its Nice to be important, but its more important to be nice

and smile like you mean it
i drive a 1990 car i live in a terrace house and still shop at peacocks and lidl. because i am not flash.. roof sorted .. wheels sorted

Well, I just had to reply to this because it kind of sums up what I was thinking. Steve puts "value" above "possessions" and this is the result of someone who is very level headed and happy within himself.

Of course we all need money for the essentials but what money buys you is convenience and time. Even if it does enable you to change the way you feel, this is temporary since it is based on something outside of you. How you feel inside is the most important. If you can live with little money but have love and acceptance of who you are then that is priceless xx

You can be very poor and happy
You can be slightly poor and happy
You can be comfortable and happy
You can be mega rich and happy

It's all down to the individual and their outlook on life

But I do think if you have money you have more opportunities in life and certain parts of your life are easier, you wouldn't worry about paying the bills and buying food and heating your home but people can certainly live without luxury holidays and other luxury items.

As long as you have the basic necessities in life, like a home, food and friends and family, I believe you can be happy!

I honest don't know the answer to this question. I've never been poor, but I've also never been 'comfortable' or rich either.

What I do know is money can be a big source of anxiety. Do I have enough to pay the bills? What will I do if the car doesn't get through its MOT? Have I got enough to pay the mortgage? Etc etc.

Not worrying how to make ends meet would certainly take a lot of pressure off. But money isn't the only source to make you feel happy or sad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yet again it depends what you class as poor.

One of my friends claim they are poor and they do live hand to mouth (so much so they know how many biscuits are in the tin)...however they pay £500 per month rent for there semi detached 3 bed with drive & garden. They have two cars, two £30+ per month phones ect ect. Most people that claim to have no money actually have no idea about money management, I also earn less than this friend in my customer service job.

I can tell you down to the Penny my outgoings and my income. This enables me to know what I have left. A lot of people so t know this. Are they happy??? No, are they helping themselves....no.

Yes. Some people are so poor, all they have is money. Think that says it all really

So what do we class as poor and rich?

Obviously someone penniless and homeless is poor

Where is the line to someone being rich?

I think the way things are these days
If your paying your bills and putting food on the table your doing good x
So many people are struggling these days x

Latest posts

Back