Can you be poor and happy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think happiness and contentment are an inner peace....its not about money per say as you all say, you've been poor but happy or we all know that wealthy person who is as miserable as sin. It comes from within and unless you are truly content with all you have, you will never know happiness :)

Hello peeps,ok so I have been in a bad place where I had not a lot,struggling every day etc but I was happy.Why because apart from being homeless I knew it couldn't get much worse so the only way was forward.

I've then had the in-between where you have ur house,but can't fined any work not even greggs or cleaning dirty public toilets and you can't afford your bills or anything and it wasn't nice but I still remained happy.

Now I have it where I earn a half decent wage can pay all my bills and have money left over for little treats like a meal out once a month or buying my daughter a little treat but I can honestly say I'm no happier than before.

I fined positives in everything and I press on and do what I need to do.X

I would class myself as poor, me and my boyfriend live in a tiny little house in a not very nice area. He is a student and I go to college two days a week as well as working for myself. Because of this most of our money goes on rent and bills and the rest goes on a very carefully worked out food shop, making sure we have enough for the month.

We have no spare money at all but we are happy, we have each other and a positive outlook on life. Of course we have big aspirations for the future and hope to increase our incomes as much as possible but I don't think money will make us happier. :)

So what do we class as poor and rich?

Obviously someone penniless and homeless is poor

Where is the line to someone being rich?

For me being rich is being able to buy anything you want, see a £200 handbag and can buy it..etc

Hello peeps,ok so I have been in a bad place where I had not a lot,struggling every day etc but I was happy.Why because apart from being homeless I knew it couldn't get much worse so the only way was forward.

I've then had the in-between where you have ur house,but can't fined any work not even greggs or cleaning dirty public toilets and you can't afford your bills or anything and it wasn't nice but I still remained happy.

Now I have it where I earn a half decent wage can pay all my bills and have money left over for little treats like a meal out once a month or buying my daughter a little treat but I can honestly say I'm no happier than before.

I fined positives in everything and I press on and do what I need to do.X

I haven't read through all these posts but this one made me smile...think you've hit the nail on the head, it's what you make of it. But It's all subjective!

For me being rich is being able to buy anything you want, see a £200 handbag and can buy it..etc

I feel very rich,I have a lovely loving family,beautiful daughter who has defied all odds,grand OH what more could I ask for :D............I'm not a hand bag fan lol x

It's all relative. I'd be lamenting that I could 'only' afford a two hundred pound handbag cos I'm so skint.
I've been what most of you would call rich, and I have to say, it is rather nice. As I said before, it has it's downside, but on the whole I prefer it.

Depends what is poor..I couldn't be happy at all if we couldn't pay the rent and we would need to live under the bridge or i couldn't feed my children. But if u can pay your rent, you have food on your table, I don't think u r poor then. U r not rich, but not poor either.
We can't buy happiness and health, but money makes it all easier definitely.

Interesting Thread

It made me think of some songs:

Money, Money, Money - Abba
Material Girl - Madonna
Hey Big Spender - Shirley B
Lets make lots of money - Pet Shop Boys

But it was much harder to think of songs that are about not having money/working hard for it:

Money cant buy you love - The Beatles
Working 9 to 5 - Dolly P

:)

Being rich is relative.. In africa poverty is starving to death, in some cases in Britain nowadays poverty is not having a flat screen telly or not having the latest phone,or having to borrow money for fags, even the poorest members of our society would be considered very wealthy in Ethiopia or Somalia
Hence why they take huge risks to get here. some people are very rich but live like normal folk, others are totally skint and go into debt.
Personally i am happy that i have no debt anymore and i can go on hols and have as much time off as i want to travel. I dont think i will be on my death bed remembering that lovely suit i owned or those fantastic shoes.. I will be remembering my family, my holidays and all the places i have managed to visit and people i have met, to me thats richness. having enough money for total freedom to do what you want when you want. :wink2:

Good work life balance - just what I love to see as it does matter to the kids! They need to feel like their parents are there for them! When I was young my best friends parents were really wealthy but always at work. No one there to meet her at the school gates, she had a nanny who was there after school but when we got older she would prepare her own dinner and the parents would be home around 6/7 pm! Compared to mine who earnt peanuts but always met me at the school hates or were there waiting for us when we got home from school she was so jealous! She even called my dad, dad! It makes all the difference.

Maybe this little girl got nice new toys from the toy shop. But do the kids really remember all the crappy plastic toys we buy them?

For example, I bet a child who had a secondhand bike will value the memory of family bike riding more then the child with a high spec new bike but mum and dad working day and night.

Being rich is relative.. In africa poverty is starving to death, in some cases in Britain nowadays poverty is not having a flat screen telly or not having the latest phone,or having to borrow money for fags, even the poorest members of our society would be considered very wealthy in Ethiopia or Somalia
Hence why they take huge risks to get here. some people are very rich but live like normal folk, others are totally skint and go into debt.
Personally i am happy that i have no debt anymore and i can go on hols and have as much time off as i want to travel. I dont think i will be on my death bed remembering that lovely suit i owned or those fantastic shoes.. I will be remembering my family, my holidays and all the places i have managed to visit and people i have met, to me thats richness. having enough money for total freedom to do what you want when you want. :wink2:

Spot on :) I have been both, right now I am choosing to be somewhere in the middle and to enjoy my family. Being rich is certainly no fun when you see nothing of your family, can afford to go where you like on holiday but can't afford to enjoy it as you cannot switch off. And riches are all relative.

We don't have much money, my husband started his own business last year so basically he earns a pittance , as we know hair/ beauty isn't the highest paid job! But I work when I want, I am there for the kids and I am grateful for every penny I earn ! Obviously wish I had more money , but we are happy and we live life fairly simply, we have themed sat nights and the kids choose ! U get back to basics a bit but we have fun, had a great summer camping( as I said to a friend would prefer a 5 star hotel!!) x

Here's a quote.

"If you were poor 50 years ago you didn't have enough to eat.

If you are poor today you only have one car"

Im not rich but so happy.

I have 2 amazing children, a fab partner and family. More money would make life easier and could possibly make me happier, would be able to get things I wanted and our house quicker than 2 years.

I've been through some tough tough times especially teen years between 16-18 when I had nothing so I appreciate everything I have today. We have all our material things that we have worked hard for. As I said before money would make things easier but I have everything I need at the moment.

Laura x

Latest posts

Back