Can you encapsulate gel polish with clear acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty101

Reaction score
I know this might sound like a strange question lol

Basically most of my customers prefer acrylic nails with a gel polish colour on top. I want to offer more nail art like striping tape, tiny charms etc which would look and stay much better under a layer of clear acrylic but I'm worried it wouldn't work due to the gel polish base? Can anyone help? Xx

Not too well no, the gel polish it too flexible to put a rigid product like L&P over the top - imagine melting some chocolate then pouring it over a set jelly - the chocolate would harden but as soon as the jelly moved underneath the chocolate would crack or become detached - fastest way to product breakdown and costly repairs and time.

You might want to investigate a hard gel topcoat instead, it would need to be buffed before removal but will give a stronger layer of protection over the art.

If the gel polish/design is sandwiched between acrylic you might get away with it but you could end up with a bulky nail.

Like trinity said I'd go for a top coat like glaze and go.

If the gel polish/design is sandwiched between acrylic you might get away with it but you could end up with a bulky nail.

Like trinity said I'd go for a top coat like glaze and go.

Thanks ladies! I do have glaze and go top coat but I use a different brand of gel polish underneath so hope they are compatible. I didn't think you could use glaze and go over polish as when I done my training on acrylics it was used over acrylics only so just thought it was for those xx

Thanks ladies! I do have glaze and go top coat but I use a different brand of gel polish underneath so hope they are compatible. I didn't think you could use glaze and go over polish as when I done my training on acrylics it was used over acrylics only so just thought it was for those xx

If it's polish on a natural nail then no it will crack as it doesn't have a strong enough foundation.

If the base is acrylic then gel polish you have that strong foundation of the acrylic to stop too much flexibility and cause cracking.

Yes you can. But not too thin or it will crack.
There is a tech here in Aust who does it frequently for some of her clients who are hairdressers.

You can also use Glaze n Go over gel polish which has been applied over acrylics or hard gels, just not natural nails as they are too flexible and it will crack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back