Can you just not wear Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
So as a nail tech, I try to wear shellac on myself, but I naturally have very thin, bendy, peeling nails. I practically bath my cuticles in solar oil, which helps my cuticles emensly, but the condition on my nails isn't changing :(
I never have problems with shellac or gelish chipping on clients, yet I myself just can't seem to make it last more than a few days to no nore than a week. I've tried doing 2 coats of top coat... nothing helps. Its very depressing lol id love to be able to promote shellac on myself but I just cannot seem to wear it!!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

Sometimes Shellac isn't suitable for everyone. You say you have thin, bendy and peely nails, Shellac doesn't last well with these issues.

How does normal polish last on you? You can usually gauge whether Shellac will be suitable from this.

I'd keep up with the cuticle oil because it will make a difference over time. Maybe up it and try to apply as many times a day as you can remember.

Also remember if you have any health issues, this can also affect the condition of your nails.

I'm assuming you have remembered to Scrubfresh your own nails before your application?

Nor can I. My nails are terribly weak and bendy...like paper.

I've tried countless times to wear Shellac because my colleagues' nails have grown like weeds with Shellac. Difference is, their nails were relatively strong to start.

I put an acrylic overlay over my own nails then I apply Shellac. I get the benefit of the long wear and super shine while I work on my clients as well as being able to promote the product.

Yes, I definitely use my scrubfresh :) I do all the prep on one hand and shellac and finish the whole procedure before I move on to the next to make sure I don't accidentally touch my nail and get oils on them.
I work another full time job around the salon as well and have a 3 year old at home, so time for myself is very limited and shellac has just seemed like a perfect option, as acrylics are just more time consuming... I just really wanted to have my natural nails for once :(

So as a nail tech, I try to wear shellac on myself, but I naturally have very thin, bendy, peeling nails. I practically bath my cuticles in solar oil, which helps my cuticles emensly, but the condition on my nails isn't changing :(
I never have problems with shellac or gelish chipping on clients, yet I myself just can't seem to make it last more than a few days to no nore than a week. I've tried doing 2 coats of top coat... nothing helps. Its very depressing lol id love to be able to promote shellac on myself but I just cannot seem to wear it!!!

Have you tried mani q gel underneath. It is a naturaal nail gel that helps with nail grow, gives you a bit of extra strength and when a client cant wear shellac due to peeling nails this helps. My clients now get over 2 weeks, some get 3 with mani q underneath. Ax

Have you tried mani q gel underneath. It is a naturaal nail gel that helps with nail grow, gives you a bit of extra strength and when a client cant wear shellac due to peeling nails this helps. My clients now get over 2 weeks, some get 3 with mani q underneath. Ax

Where can you buy this please? And does it soak off with the shellac or need to be infilled?

I am actually currently wearing maniq... the original overlay gel... I thought it was going to be a lifesaver but after about day 4 it just all at once starts to crack and peel.... or more like my nails underneath the product starts to.

I wear Brisa gel under my Shellac as my own nails flake and break. I get so many now asking for their nails to look just like mine :) and they're quite happy to pay the extra to have the gel if they need it too so my own nails are now promoting not just Shellac but gel too!

I have thin, bendy nails, too and Shellac works well on me (when I have the time to do my nails). I keep them short, not past my fingetips and I have really good luck with Shellac. :)

Shellac stays if I keep them very short. If I've grown a little length I use forever French builder gel from my apex to the free edge underneath my color.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I wear Brisa gel under my Shellac as my own nails flake and break. I get so many now asking for their nails to look just like mine :) and they're quite happy to pay the extra to have the gel if they need it too so my own nails are now promoting not just Shellac but gel too!

Ditto! Brisa, and as of today, cityscape with Sliver VIP status on one hand and gold VIP status on the other!

The clients who I have found can't wear Shellac are exactly like this, weak bendy paper thin nails

Be careful when doing soak offs too not to get any remover on your nails :)

Hi there!
You sound like the type of nail tech I need! I have these type of nails!
Would you be interested in a trade swap? Xx

Ditto! Brisa, and as of today, cityscape with Sliver VIP status on one hand and gold VIP status on the other!

Sounds lovely :)

I have Hot Chillis with Zillionaire - nice and sparkly :D

Hi so is it ok to use mani.q under shellac then? is it instead of base coat, then cure and put colour on top without removing sticky layer? will this ruin the shellac colour brush though? What is it I actually order - mani.q base coat or is the terminology different? sorry for all the questions but would like to order today if its going to be ok to use. thanks :)

Hi moushax37,

How about treating the root cause - the thin and peeling nails. I know someone who has had great success with the Nailtiques formula 2 which addresses this issue. Perhaps if the condition of the nails improved the Shellac would stay put?

Latest posts

Back