Can you mix acrylic powder with gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy87

Reaction score
Hi all

Might be a stupid question but as the title says can you mix acrylic powder with gel? I ask because i was given some bright coloured acrylic powder and would like to use it but i only use gel. Hope this makes sense. :o

No I think this will not work , never heard it in the 13 years I been doing nails !! Only the acryligel I heard of x

I've never heard of anyone trying this but I would imagine it wouldn't work as the powder wouldn't set without being exposed to the monomer. Also I'm not sure what kind of chemical reaction you'd get putting it in gel....could cause a reaction.

what can i mix with gel to make a different colour? x

I would not mix l&p powder with gel.

To make a coloured gel you can add pigments (like eyeshadows) and glitters.

You will usually get a lighter shade after mixing than the original pigment unless it is a very strong pigment.

I'm sure if you search you will find threads on here explaining how to mix pigmets, mica powders and glitters etc... with gel.

I saw a recent post about mixing acrylic powder with gel. Most answered no, you cannot. I haven't tried it myself either. Two thoughts: 1. If gel is acrylic powder in a gel state, why not? 2. Then again I'm wondering if heat spikes may occur while curing. Anyone tried it yet?

I think you can do this with Young Nails products................Can't remember where I read it though....

Why would you want to mess around with to different chemical components that are not designed to go together !

Even if it did work you would not be insured to use it.

There is no reason to put unknown chemicals together and risk causing a reaction.

There are many ways to add colour to gel without needing to use l&p powders as I said in my previous post (made back in June).

Not sure why this post has been resurrected but I will just add, that ...

all the CND coloured pigments and Effects can be used with any brand of gel or L&P system to make different colours and they have been designed to be added to theses things ... So no insurance issues and no fear of any kinds of reactions as long as you stick to the rules of one part additive to two parts product. Enjoy because they are lots of fun to work with. ;)

Just remember that you need monomer with powder to allow the correct chemical reaction to occur.

Sorry, very tired tonight. *polymerisation to occur

Last edited:
There are several brands that have a gel that you can supposedly mix , but to be honest as a tec why blur the lines?
Use one or the other and if the other is tempting you why not train in it and add another notch to your belt?
It can on,y take you forward :)

I used Acrygel along time ago, it's a gel and a powder that you put together on the brush. I had so many lifting problems with it that I gave it up. Has anyone used this one ?

Hi all

Might be a stupid question but as the title says can you mix acrylic powder with gel? I ask because i was given some bright coloured acrylic powder and would like to use it but i only use gel. Hope this makes sense. :o

Just an idea, but if you want to get some use out of them, why don't you pick up some moulds and make some pretty embellishments (obviously with the correct monomer), like bows and flowers? This way there'd be no mixing of products/systems going on, you'd get to use your pretty bright colours and you'd have your own range of brightly coloured embellishments ready to apply.

ETA: Apologies, didn't notice the original date of the post!

I'm new to the nail industry but recently had gel powder nails done at a salon so thought I would investigate and try it out myself to see what it was or if just a gimmick.

I used regular brush on gel with acrylic powder and got a brilliant result, the gel encouraged my nail to grow and the combination with acrylic powder made them supper tough, they lasted about 3wks before I needed infills but I took them off.

I then bought a "gel powder" system and must say I find it really good, I like it and will keep using it but it is a gimmick it's just jazzing up acrylics and making it "better" for your nails with gel base first.

Even if it did work you would not be insured to use it.

There is no reason to put unknown chemicals together and risk causing a reaction.

There are many ways to add colour to gel without needing to use l&p powders as I said in my previous post (made back in June).

Absolutely true.

Buy a system and don't 'mess about' with incompatable products.

Hi all

You can u just have to sprinkle th? acrylic over th? wet gel and let it absourbe.....

You can u just have to sprinkle th? acrylic over th? wet gel and let it absourbe.....

... ??? ...
Did you not read the rest of the posts ?
Or are you just trying to get a reaction?

... ??? ...
Did you not read the rest of the posts ?
Or are you just trying to get a reaction?

They are just asking a question and they are new. It may have been answered by a few but this is a forum.......

Latest posts

Back