Can you mix acrylic powder with gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mixed ASP clear acrylic powder from Sally Beauty Supply with Diva Collections clear builder gel in about a 1:1 ratio. It applied like acrylic, but didn't set until cured like gel. I cured it in my Gelish 18G LED unit and got brilliant results. I've been wearing them for over a month now with no problems. I got a little lifting at the cuticle but I think that had more to do with my application technique than the product itself.

Pros -
Easy to apply and mold
Cured well in my LED unit
Easy to file after cured
Strong
Durable

Cons -
Opaque after curing (I guess that would be a pro if you're you're doing a white nail look or if you used a pink cover gel.)
Still self levels if you let it sit too long.

Overall, I really liked using this technique on my own nails. I don't really see why you can't mix these together when they sell kits where you apply the gel and dip it in acrylic powder. My instructor told me that it's all the same stuff anyway just in a different state of composition.

In this pic I have applied gel polish over them. It's great!!!
11073276_883207088367099_4236222064698511429_n.jpg

Hi all

Might be a stupid question but as the title says can you mix acrylic powder with gel? I ask because i was given some bright coloured acrylic powder and would like to use it but i only use gel. Hope this makes sense. :eek:

Hi...I would like to say your question has nothing of stupid ... if so we all looked up the same question.. I don't know if you will see this reply or it can help anybody but....the answer is YES YOU CAN... the only thing it will be more of a gum gel so it will be thicker but it can work ..also if you do nail art it's fantastic ...I will réfère the answer on TAMMY TAYLOR NEW VIDEO were it shows that YOU CAN ... Enjoy your passion ... do not mix a whole bunch when tested use small pots and use a plate of white ceramic clean and dent free ...have fun♡

Hi...I would like to say your question has nothing of stupid ... if so we all looked up the same question.. I don't know if you will see this reply or it can help anybody but....the answer is YES YOU CAN... the only thing it will be more of a gum gel so it will be thicker but it can work ..also if you do nail art it's fantastic ...I will réfère the answer on TAMMY TAYLOR NEW VIDEO were it shows that YOU CAN ... Enjoy your passion ... do not mix a whole bunch when tested use small pots and use a plate of white ceramic clean and dent free ...have fun♡
Tammy Taylor does this as a 3D gel, not for using over the whole nail. Big difference.

Tammy Taylor does this as a 3D gel, not for using over the whole nail. Big difference.
Wow you really decided to get nasty there didn't you... but as you can clearly see now.. almost 2 years later... they are selling many many different brands of hard gel mixed with acrylic powder now for use sculpting THE WHOLE NAIL .. so it's obvious NOW that this is entirely possible and was just as possible when you angrily told someone here they were wrong. Polygel, acrylgel, poly gel versions in tubes from TONS of different companies are all over the internet now so everyone on here that said something rude to anyone on here who said it was possible should be apologizing. There is no "dangerous mixing of chemicals" or worries over insurance or creating bad reactions... these things are all made from similar chemicals to begin with so how could those concerns even be possible if you used your head and even thought about it. Given today's info this is not only possible.. you can buy the two mixed together at many different places in really thick well made formulas and thin, runny, cheaply made versions too. So before anyone gets nasty from now on here, you should maybe do a little research (polygel and things like it WERE being tested when this question was asked) or look up ingredients before you claim mixing "different chemicals" would be dangerous... when these things didn't include "different chemicals" they were actually quite similar and completely able to be combined. Polygel folks. That's all she needed was some polygel or to know it was from mixing the two ingredients she wanted to mix.

I'm so sorry that 2 years ago I didn't know what future innovations would be. Get over yourself and your self-righteous indignation. She wanted to mix random items, not use a bespoke system. I'll even say it again: BIG DIFFERENCE.

I'm so sorry that 2 years ago I didn't know what future innovations would be. Get over yourself and your self-righteous indignation. She wanted to mix random items, not use a bespoke system. I'll even say it again: BIG DIFFERENCE.

This!

And chemists/R&D doing it is completely different to a tech tinkering at a desk mixing products not designed to be used together

NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE because even 2 years ago it wasn't just "mixing random items" if you knew how to read the ingredients list. They contain a lot of the same ingredients so.. completely able to be mixed !!! Not to mention the fact that polygel and acryl gel products were already being made and sold and any goggle search would have told you that THREE years ago acrylic powder was being sprinkled on gel to make a sugared effect so OBVIOUSLY they could be mixed without a nuclear meltdown. Wow, this really isn't brain surgery dear and you keep making her sound like an idiot for even considering mixing two things together that were ALREADY BEING MIXED. Please don't be angry that someone pointed out the obvious. You don't have to reply.. I'm not listening to angry emptiness anymore anyway.

I follow protocol. Period. You do you honey. Where did you obtain your chemistry degree, just out of curiousity?

Why has this post been reignited from over 2 years ago. The same still stands from then to now.

A product line train us or tell us to read the instructions for use & Unless
‘Indiana’ ‘is different to the UK we should not mix products because :

1. These are because the manufactures have already tested their products and paid a lot of people with chemistry degrees or phds a lot of money to do so.
2. We follow procedure so we adhere to the manufactures instructions to get the best out of the product.
3. (Following in from 2) - To comply with our inurance company’s instructions so I know I am covered from being sued and not hurting my client..!!!
4. I do not have a degree / phd in chemistry - I am a beauty therapist who provides safe treatments with safe products that I use the way that they are ment to be used.

simple really .... we should never mix products - end of ... !!!

I have mixed it and do it sometimes. I learned it in a crush course I took in Colombia.

Latest posts

Back