Can you recommend a cheap & cheerful UV topcoat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curvygirl

Reaction score
I'm currently updating my colourpops and in the process am going through my bottles of shellac topcoat like no-one's business. I can't justify using Shellac TC on them anymore as it's so expensive. Can anybody suggest a less expensive UV topcoat?

How about the Eco Universal Top Coat from Star Nails? I've been using it for my Gelish colour pops. Works fine for me :)

I use Millennium No Wipe Topcoat on my colorpops. It works well and its cheap for a 15ml bottle.

I saw on here a while ago that one of the techs used to apply the color to the underside of the colorpop, that way the clear glossy plastic did the same job as a topcoat if you know what I mean. I dont know if it would work for shellac as I dont use it but I do that all the time with my gel colors and nail varnishes. They look fabulous and no wastage of top coat. You might only need to do the layered colors on the top side with topcoat though.

I use Lumos Top Coat and don't need to cure. :biggrin:

By the way, you don't need to use Shellac Base Coat on colour pops either, and layering does need to be done on the top of the pops. I think all colour looks better done on top as even the clear plastic pop, seems to make colour look dull when used as the top coat with colour underneath. IMO

I see what you mean, also clients "try the colors on" over their own nails so the undersides can get a bit scratched, I always try to protect the color pops to reduce scratching but not always an option. I might redo some of my more popular ones on a quiet day with some topcoat.Thanks for the tips though and it's good to know about the layering for when I finally get to do my CND training and use Shelac. (Still saving like mad)

I'm currently updating my colourpops and in the process am going through my bottles of shellac topcoat like no-one's business. I can't justify using Shellac TC on them anymore as it's so expensive. Can anybody suggest a less expensive UV topcoat?
Look for No Wipe top coat. I bought mine in America. No more wiping relief at last. It is same as Shellac. I googled NO WIPE TOP COAT and found it.

Last edited:
Look for No Wipe top coat. I bought mine in America. No more wiping relief at last. It is same as Shellac. I googled NO WIPE TOP COAT and found it.
It is absolutely nothing like Shellac ... Not in any way, shape or form :biggrin:

I use nsi glaze n go! It's really shiny too and no need for wiping after x

I've just googled this and THAT make of shellac is NOT CND Shellac it's a knock off brand containing goodness knows what!

THAT make of shellac is NOT CND Shellac it's a knock off brand!

The poster didn't say it WAS a CND brand, she said it was the same as CND. I'm not saying she should use this on clients, the OP is looking for a cheap alternative for her display nails and this poster was just giving her that.

On my colour wheels which is the same sort of thing I use the cheap Tina/lina/sina (I've seen it called all of these names) uv top coat and so far it's working really well protecting my colours, tho they are varnishes not gels so not sure if it will, but it's very cheap and gives a good shine and means not wasting a better quality topcoat, tho does need wiping after, might be an option :D just an idea.

Latest posts

Back