Can you tan through fake tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrys471

Reaction score
Hi all, does anybody know if you can tan through fake tan?? I have been fake tanning for as long as I can remember, I'm sooooo bored of it!!! If I was to go on the sunbeds (yes I know they are bad!!!) would I tan through the fake tan??? Or wokd the fake tan act as a barrier???

Confused.com

You will tan through it and it may also help you go darker x

If your fake tan has no spf, you'll tan through it.

Thank you both for replying..... How could it make me go darker???
I can't stand being this white 😖😖😖

Thank you both for replying..... How could it make me go darker???
I can't stand being this white 😖😖😖

How could the sunbed make you darker you mean? That's not really the way to go about using sunbeds... They will build a tan slowly you can't rush it without risk of burning yourself and causing some serious damage.

Depending on the sort of beds you use, you need a good few sessions before you see a difference.

You need to be keeping your minutes low for the first couple of weeks and let your body get used to the uv. Then, work the minutes up jumping no more than 2 minutes per increase.

When you're at a steady colour, try to add in some accelerating creams. They never work on me but I know they work on some people. Your tanning shop will be able to advise you on the best ones for your skin type.

If you want to be tanned quickly, you need to go back to spray tanning or cream tanning. If you try to rush it, you run the risk of damaging your skin.

Thank you, I actually meant how could wearing fake tan actually help me go darker?? The geek before you suggested that it could help???

Thank you, I actually meant how could wearing fake tan actually help me go darker?? The geek before you suggested that it could help???

I would assume that they meant the darker your skin tone, the darker a spray tan will appear.

Our spray tan training told us that if you have spray tan on and go on holiday, the darker skin will absorb the uv rays, so I would assume it would be the same for a sunbed?
If the skin is extremely pale/white the uv rays reflect off.

Don't quote me I could be wrong lol! x

Thank u, think I might have to stick it out a little longer, dying to reach for the fake tan!!! 🙈

I'm glad I've seen this thread as I've often wondered this myself!! X

I tan very easily but the one time I sprayed myself for a holiday, hardly tanned at all, now I know they don't contain any SPF but I have had quite a few clients that have said exactly the same ... Weird but true
Be interested if any other tanners have experienced this????

Jojo I've been spray tanning since feb and always tell my clients they will tan through their spray tan. That's what training taught me. However I have just come back from holidays with my spray tan and I definitely didn't go nearly as dark as I usually go! But I don't see what the explanation could be. I always assumed it was people's imagination as perhaps their spray tan is a better colour than their sun tan. Baffled

Latest posts

Back