Can you use the CND lamp to cure other brands of gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisky

Reaction score
Hello!
I realise that there are a few questions on here similar to mine, but I feel I need to ask this question and get a specific answer as I have only just started training!
I'm completely new to the gel system and have only just begun my training,
I have read through a few threads and the sticky note post about UV gel systems but I have only confused myself further.

I'm looking to purchase a UV lamp, to use for training and once qualified to use professionally on paying clients. I was told by my tutor to purchase a 36 watt lamp, so my first thought was to head over to sally's and purchase one, but since reading through these forums and discovering the CND lamp I am now wondering which brand to invest in.
I realise the CND lamp is used for Shellac, so this brings me to my first question...
If I were to purchase the CND lamp, would I be able to cure regular gel brands (eg. NSI) as well?

My second question is, do you have to have a specific brand lamp when doing gel nails? For example, at the moment I am using NSI balance sculting kit, I see you can purchase the NSI UV lamp, but I have looked at Sally's UV lamps and they stock ASP UV lamps which say they can be used to cure any gel system!

I am so confused, I just want to purchase a great UV lamp, without wasting my money on the wrong type.

Get yourself a good quality lamp. AVOID at all costs these cheapo ones from China.

Bio Sculpture Gel needs a minimum of an 18 Watt lamp (2 x 9 watt bulbs) to cure its gel. I would say it is a wise decision to invest in a 36 Watt lamp as you would be able to cure Bio Sculpture, NSI amongst others. BUT you must be careful to read into each manufacturers guide lines. Ive read on here that Calgel can be overcured causing the gel to go Yellow. This is the only Gel Ive heard that does this curing the initial treatment. Other gels can Yellow on Sun beds etc but not be affected at all by a regular 36 Watt lamp.

If you can invest in a good lamp that has very good Mirrors so that you can cure the thumbs easily at the same time. (The Bio Sculpture lamps arent best for this so I have to cure them seperately which is time consuming). I cant say whether the CND lamp is suitable or not for other Gel Systems (purely because of the mirror thing) but if I had to get another lamp thats the 1 main aspect I would be considering, along with ensuring it was a 36 Watt (My bio lamp restricts me to curing Bio Only ! :( )

~Why have all your eggs in one basket go for the best quality lamp with quality products & your will have a good client base. Cheap lamps cost you more money in the long run as they wont fully cure the gels / hybrid polishes so will cause chipping / lifting etc. xx

Hi, I bought the cnd lamp when I invested in the shellac system but also use it with my NSI hard gels and maniQ soft gels too. It's a very good lamp although the bulbs are pricey but the part I really like is it tells you how many bulb hours you have remaining, which for a worry pants like me is a godsend.
HTH and good luck with your training xxx

Thankyou both! That's cleared up my confusion, and don't worry, I'd never order anything from China haha, I wouldn't risk it! I think I will invest in the CND as it seems more versatile, and then I can eventually offer shellac if I want to. Thankyou for mentioning about the mirrors too, that's something I had not thought about!
xx

Latest posts

Back