Can your nails get tired?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2987

Reaction score
Hello all,

this is "Sue the client" with a question.

I have had acrylic on my nails for years and years with absolutely no problem at all, but suddenly over the last few months it has started to lift. Sometimes within a week or so of having them redone. My nail tech and I are a bit stumped...me more than her I should say. My natural nails are a bit thinner than I am really comfortable with, but other than that, they seem healthy, wealthy and wise. Can your nails just get tired? I'm wondering if I should just give them a rest for a few months. My nails do grow amazingly fast, so might it be an idea to let them grow out and then restart my treatments?

I do use a keyboard all day if that helps with any ideas, but this too has been the same for years and years and that I can't stop for a few months...unless I win the lottery that is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sue.

...yeah mine need at least 8 hours sleep a night!

sorry couldnt resist - enhancements can be worn for long periods of time without problems, as long as they are maintained and looked after properly x

are you taking any new medication perhaps as this may have an effect. ?

Hello all,

this is "Sue the client" with a question.

I have had acrylic on my nails for years and years with absolutely no problem at all, but suddenly over the last few months it has started to lift. Sometimes within a week or so of having them redone. My nail tech and I are a bit stumped...me more than her I should say. My natural nails are a bit thinner than I am really comfortable with, but other than that, they seem healthy, wealthy and wise. Can your nails just get tired? I'm wondering if I should just give them a rest for a few months. My nails do grow amazingly fast, so might it be an idea to let them grow out and then restart my treatments?

I do use a keyboard all day if that helps with any ideas, but this too has been the same for years and years and that I can't stop for a few months...unless I win the lottery that is.

Sue.
I was always told when doing my training that your """nails are like your hair ... now when you start going wishy washy do u leave your hair b4 dying it""" !!! but like EllaX said as long as they looked after u shouldnt get a problem... when 1 of my clients points out that my srevice isnt as on form the first thing i do is get a new brush n make dam sure i do a real good prep ... xxxx emily xx

Has the same nail tech been doing them for years?
Are different products being used?

Thanks Angel Fingers!

I think you may have hit the nail (tech...sorry) on the head.

I did indeed start taking a new medication within the last year. In fact, I've never had to take any such medication before and now there's a combo of two tablets that I take for my blood pressure. I bet that's it!

Bloomin' heck. :mad: What happens now then? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to give up my nails. :cry: I can't...I'm hooked...an addict good and proper. Or can I just shorten my schedule to get them done before they start lifting?

Oh poop!!

Thanks for the help though ladies.
Sue.

Thanks Angel Fingers!

I did indeed start taking a new medication within the last year. In fact, I've never had to take any such medication before and now there's a combo of two tablets that I take for my blood pressure. I bet that's it!

Bloomin' heck. :mad: What happens now then? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to give up my nails. :cry: I can't...I'm hooked...an addict good and proper. Or can I just shorten my schedule to get them done before they start lifting?

Oh poop!!

Sue.
You know wot i forgot all about medication der!! some bloody master i am ...lol xxx

In my experience, in this situation, sometimes a switch from acrylic (l&p) to gel can work wonders, or vice versa. I don't know why it works but it often does.

My nail tech and I are a bit stumped...me more than her I should say. My natural nails are a bit thinner than I am really comfortable with, but other than that, they seem healthy, wealthy and wise. Can your nails just get tired? I'm wondering if I should just give them a rest for a few months. My nails do grow amazingly fast, so might it be an idea to let them grow out and then restart my treatments?

Sue.
Hi Sue, I have a couple of questions. Firstly are your nails been done by the same tech you have always been seeing? If you have recently changed techs, it could be something different which the more recent tech is doing.

Secondly, you mentioned that your nails are thinner than you are really comfortable with. Do you mean the enhancements or your actual own natural nails? If your enhancements are being applied too thinly, then there is a possibility they could lift although I would imagine they would chip first. However, if you are noticing that your natural nails are too thin, it could be that your tech could be over buffing and thinning the natural nail plate. This will cause lifting.

This may not be the case at all, but I am just offering another suggestion. If this is the case, then it might be worthwhile having your enhancements removed and allowing your natural nail to grow out to full strength again. HTH xx

Thanks Angel Fingers!

Oh poop!!

Sue.
Blood pressure medication can definately cause problems. It is still possible to wear enhancements but they might need more maintenance. It might help to dehydrate more before application, or a different system may be better for you.

Hello all,

thanks for all the replies and help. I think my problem is definitely a combination of the new medication and the thin state of my own natural nails. Since the meds aren't something I can change, I'm going to try and convince Rita to let me grow my nails out. We've talked about it before, but she always manages to change my mind. We've been together for years, so hopefully I can convince her that this is what I really want to do.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Sue.

Hello all,

thanks for all the replies and help. I think my problem is definitely a combination of the new medication and the thin state of my own natural nails. Since the meds aren't something I can change, I'm going to try and convince Rita to let me grow my nails out. We've talked about it before, but she always manages to change my mind. We've been together for years, so hopefully I can convince her that this is what I really want to do.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Sue.

well if thats what you decide to do, use cuticle oil on them about 3 times a day, keep the nails short and have regular manicures with your lady.
this will really encourage the rate of growth and before you know it your nails will be back to full health again.:green:

Latest posts

Back