Canada - hair extensions advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brit4765

Reaction score
So I'm deciding to take a leap into a whole new career change. Hair extensions is something I love doing (mainly on myself and friends) it's something I've became very good at. Now I'm wanting to get certified in most of the installing styles and start up my own business.
I would like to do mobile extensions with the option for home based to.

I'm a UK citizen but shortly moving to Canada to be with my partner so this is where I'll be setting it up.

So just looking for help and advice.
As of now, advertising and marketing would be the main thing as I would start with zero clientele. So Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Blog, Website, Flyers, car sticker - anything else?
Apart from the licenses, certificates, insurance, what else would I need?

Another huge thing I'm concerned about is the start up costs.
I'd have to get a new car and then sticker details.
All the hair tools and accessorys needed.
But how does one go about ordering hair - is it better to have a large batch of hair extensions or order as you go?
And where is a good place to search for wholesale hair? I've always found beauty store hair is never too good.

As much tips, details and advice would be amazing!!!
Thank you so much
Brit

I've changed your thread title as you need quite specific advice and there's probably little point the hair Geeks giving you lots of UK based info. if it doesn't apply in Canada.
Are you a qualified hairdresser as you might need to be before you're legally allowed to offer a hair extensions service in some areas. Try looking on a Canadian based forum to help with some of your questions.

In the meantime, have a search through any old hair extension threads to get a feel for the business.

I've changed your thread title as you need quite specific advice and there's probably little point the hair Geeks giving you lots of UK based info. if it doesn't apply in Canada.
Are you a qualified hairdresser as you might need to be before you're legally allowed to offer a hair extensions service in some areas. Try looking on a Canadian based forum to help with some of your questions.

In the meantime, have a search through any old hair extension threads to get a feel for the business.

Thank you so much! Totally new on here so didn't really know what to do :)

No I'm not a qualified hairdresser, it's just something I've done myself. But thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look into that now! :)

In Canada you cant do hair without being certified, and in a lot of provinces, you cant even just go to school and then work the rest of your life, there are written and practical exams you need to pass before being certified. You'll need to go to cosmetology school first, get all your qualifications, and then you can do hair. None of the suppliers will sell to you without the proper qualification. There is no such thing as hobby-hairstylists around here, sorry!

Latest posts

Back