Cancelations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

veggie

Reaction score
I'm just getting started and so far only have a few clients, but I've been getting lots of cancellations. What's worse is that they almost always cancel less than half an hour prior to the appointment. The front desk girl calls to confirm the day before on all appoinments, but if there's no-one there she just leaves a message. This week alone HALF of my clients have cancelled on me without re-booking, and I've about had it. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?

Confirming is a difficult beast to master Veggie.

The girl who is doing your confirming may be allowing your clients to somehow say no. Or leave them thinking that they maybe should skip it this time or something similar.

If you are having alot of problems with this I would suggest keeping a record of peoples credit card numbers in their files. (Get this when they make their first booking with you) And if they cancel with less then 48 hours noice or they do not turn up within 10 minutes of their appointment time (without a phone call and a good explanation) then charge them a set amount directly to their card.

One of my educators actually had a No Show / Cancellation charge on his menu of services. It was AU$45 regardless of what the service was that you were booked in for. He said he found people turned up when they knew they'd be paying for it anyway. (He said those that didn't were sometimes ticked off as a mani was only AU$30 but they were always on time after that)

Best of Luck.

Jadey
angel2.gif

Hi there Veggie.

Just thought I would say what I do. I am mobile and I use texting. I use the same message and send it the morning of my appointments to my clients of that day. :right: They then come back with a yes or no. This works well for me as I am mobile I dont want to turn up when they have forgotten I am coming. :cry: Nothing worse then finding them in bed with the flu, or the postman! :o

Julie

Hi

On the bottom of my record cards is a cancellation policy asking for at least 3 hours notice or 50% of the service will be charged. My time is money and so is my staff's, i obviously am very understanding if it is a genuine emergency but not "oops i forgot sorry!" well oops pay up or you dont get another appointment! Since we have enforced this we have had 75% less no shows so it is definately working. ;)

I think texting is a great idea as I am also a mobile techi - i find that people find it easier to say that they cannot come via a text then in person or over the phone

So, do you think I should start handling the confirmation calls myself? I can't do texting as I don't have a cell phone or a pager or anything.

To be honest I'm not sure that I want to start charging people for cancelling. They may just not come back, and I have so few clients as it is right now, I want them to feel free to reschedule with no repurcussions. Most of the people who've done this are new clients I've never serviced before.

Hi

Just thought i would point out that you are not allowed to "store" credit card details unless they are encrypted. Data pro act.

veggie said:
So, do you think I should start handling the confirmation calls myself? I can't do texting as I don't have a cell phone or a pager or anything.

To be honest I'm not sure that I want to start charging people for cancelling. They may just not come back, and I have so few clients as it is right now, I want them to feel free to reschedule with no repurcussions. Most of the people who've done this are new clients I've never serviced before.

Well these no shows have already cost you MONEY ... who wants clients like that! You're not that desperate ... you charge when/if they return and if they don't like it what have you lost if they don't come back ?... nothing. They will only do it to you again if you let them get away with it. Clients are like children and need to know just how far they can go. Start as you mean to go on so the boundries are set and clients know exactly where they stand from the outset.

Bugs,

Different rules in different countries.

Jadey :D

funny we ve just been talking about this in the salon weve been open for 7 years and are very busy most of the time. Friday was a typical example all 5 colums full one person went sick so had to re schedule there appointments to another day. All though my column was full in morning 2 customers rang 15mins before appointment and changed until monday and tuesday and one new client did not bother ringing or turning up :mad: even though we call 24hours before appointment to confirm. hence sitting there for 3 hours not earning!!!!

Well after much though my mind went back to last wednesday when I had a dentist appointment (which I did not want to go to) The pain had gone and well I had loads to do mmmm He had rang to remind me on Monday and advised if I could not make it I had 24 hours to cancel if not I would have to pay £10 after that if I canceled guess who went to the dentist it worked

So Hurray weve decided to put a cancellation policy in place Yipee!!

Bye for now

Sarah x

I recently opened my own salon and our policy is printed on our price lists and our client consultation cards:

Deposit
A deposit of £10.00 is required within 48 hrs of booking (non-refundable), to secure appointments for full sets of nail extensions

Cancellation
At least 24 hours notice is required for a cancellation or a 50% charge will be made

This works for our salon, the deposit system is implemented for every new full set client and the clients that do cancel usually give us 24 hrs notice, the ones that don't pay the 50% charge.

I think that this is such a tricky area to handle...
How do you sort out the deposit thing if you are mobile or working from home? Or if you get a phone appointment from someone who cannot make the deposit? Does the deposit "roll over" for the next appointment, or do you take it off the cost of the treatment?

This is a subject I worry about as well.

I have thought about a standered cancellation fee as I still have to pay staffif a client dosnt turn up, plus other bookings which may havebee turned away!

It's interesting to read what other people do and I think I will put a cancellation policy on our price lists.

I'v never asked my clients for a cancelation fee but i thinks its worth doing. I find its the younger clients (18) that don't even bother to call. I will have to look into it too !

Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back