Cancellation fee, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy87

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I was wondering do you charge a cancellation fee if a client cancel's? say if you need 48 hours notice and they only give you 24 do you charge them a fee? If you do what do you charge?

Any advice would be great.
Hope someone can advise.

Thanks

If I did this I know ladies wouldnt return, plenty of other techs out there who dont charge so why in their minds should they pay.

I make a note of there cancellation, if they try & rebook I stipulate that you need 48 hours notice. Basically I do a 3 strike rule, if they do it again then just dont re-book them...

I only ask cause a girl i know has booked in for her 2nd time (cancelled the 1st one last min) this time is for her wedding, at 1st she wanted me to do her nails and pay me a few days later and now all of a sudden the day she wanted she isnt sure about. After she books she asks me for discount i say no then last min she cancels. Plus i am loosing out on money as i have had other clients wanting to book that eve but have had to say no because she is booked in now she isnt sure if she wants it or not. :rolleyes:

I would love to charge but have never done it. I don't know how you would implement it really as you'd need to see the client again to get the money. I think a better way of making sure you've not got wasted time is charging people a deposit on long or costly appointments. Non refundable unless cancelled more than 24 or 48 hours.

I only ask cause a girl i know has booked in for her 2nd time (cancelled the 1st one last min) this time is for her wedding, at 1st she wanted me to do her nails and pay me a few days later and now all of a sudden the day she wanted she isnt sure about. After she books she asks me for discount i say no then last min she cancels. Plus i am loosing out on money as i have had other clients wanting to book that eve but have had to say no because she is booked in now she isnt sure if she wants it or not. :rolleyes:

Why not offer her a discount if she pays for the treatment a week/2 weeks in advance? If she doesnt attend the appointment she looses her deposit?? At least you wont be out of pocket

Otherwise I think I would refuse to book her as she seems unable to commit

This client sounds like trouble. Wanting the treatment and paying a few days later? No no no no no. You'll never see the money. Get full payment up front for this one. If she cancels keep the dosh.

If she doesn't like it she can go elsewhere. Plenty more reliable people around. You don't need this, it's a nightmare just waiting to happen, all the signs are there.

This client sounds like trouble. Wanting the treatment and paying a few days later? No no no no no. You'll never see the money. Get full payment up front for this one. If she cancels keep the dosh.

If she doesn't like it she can go elsewhere. Plenty more reliable people around. You don't need this, it's a nightmare just waiting to happen, all the signs are there.

Agree with all of this.

At the moment this client seems to be in charge of your business for this occasion instead of you.

She's demonstrated in more ways than one that she is fickle and unreliable.

I would rather sit on my hands doing nothing than book this client in without a sizeable percentage payment in advance. And the payment to be made one week before the appointment.

Or.

I would book her in but let her know clearly that without a deposit her appointment is not secure and you will let the slot go if someone else wants it without any further notification or discussion.

I sent her a message yesterday asking her to let me know by today if she still wants to keep her appointment but she hasn't got back to me yet. So I thought if I don't hear any thing by we'd or she cancels last minute I will invoice her. X

I sent her a message yesterday asking her to let me know by today if she still wants to keep her appointment but she hasn't got back to me yet. So I thought if I don't hear any thing by we'd or she cancels last minute I will invoice her. X

I wouldn't waste my time compiling an invoice for her, she's not going to pay it. Send her a text tomorrow saying that she needs to leave you a 50% deposit for appt by Wed or her appt will be cancelled.

If she is certain about having this treatment then tell it to her straight that because she has cancelled previously that she needs to pay for this treatment in advanc. Otherwise you cant guarantee that you will be available that day.

If she dont like it then you know she wasnt serious about coming to you in the first place. This has given her the opportunity to realise that you are not a pushoever and that you politely mean business...

If shes said No then you can book others in instead. Dont waste your time on this woman simple as that ....

Thank you all for your advice. I will message her and see what she says or if she even bothers to get back to me. X

Well i messaged her and she replyed "book someone else in" i have told her that in the future if she wants to book i will need a 50% deposit as this is the 2nd time she has cancelled but she didnt reply

Honestly this is no loss. This woman would have caused you nothing but sheer and utter frustration in the future. You're well rid of her, believe me!

You did the right thing, she would have either let you down at the last minute or not paid you.

Now you can get a nice, reliable client to take her place. :D

Had 2 young girls(early 20's) one of which worked with my friend who either not turned up or text 30mins before and re-arrange they done this 2-3 times each I said if they would like another appointment I would have to pay a 50% deposit as I was way to busy to wasting appointment (this was December) one never replied and the other replied with a cheeky text saying "listen I'm skint so I'm defo not coming tonight" listen??? No sorry nothing all I asked was if she would be coming to her appointment that night

Gets better she went in2 work & told my friend that she won't be going back as I'm asking for a deposit :-0 but never told her what had been going on >:-|

Latest posts

Back