Cancellation policies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneyBee20

Reaction score
Hi,

I completely forgot I had an eyelash appointment today, and wasn’t aware that the salon I have been going too for years charges a cancellation fee, I didn’t receive a reminder text, wasn’t asked to pay for a deposit and I don’t have a copy of the policy. My appointment is for 1 hour at the cost of £30 but they have asked me to pay £10 for cancelling? I can’t afford it so what do customers do?

Last edited:
Seriously? Do you really need reminding by other people to attend appointments that you’ve made yourself?

I think you need to accept that you’ve cocked up, pay up and try to get yourself better organised in future.

Most mobile phones have Apps that you can use to set reminders.

Also, before getting all annoyed, imagine if your pay was cut by £30 this week?

Would you happily laugh it off?

As haircuts has said, you may be losing £10 your lash tech if self employed has lost £30, I think if you look about in your area you will find everybody is charging for no shows especially in the world we are currently living in, cancellation/no show fees were something my salon didn’t do before lockdown, but as the stylists are self employed and are currently only travelling into work to do booked appointments, for every one of those that doesn’t turn up is a cost to the stylist/beautician something that they “can’t afford” either. Either way I can’t see your lash tech booking you another appointment until this is paid or expect it to be added to your next appointment with a deposit prior to appointment.

Seriously? Do you really need reminding by other people to attend appointments that you’ve made yourself?

I think you need to accept that you’ve cocked up, pay up and try to get yourself better organised in future.

Most mobile phones have Apps that you can use to set reminders.

Also, before getting all annoyed, imagine if your pay was cut by £30 this week?

Would you happily laugh it off?
Well yeah I do need reminding as I have just go back to work as a teacher and have illness in the family so eyelashes where not my priority. I’m also self employed within schools so lots if times my pay has been down but I can’t do anything about it.. that’s life. I cant afford to give £10 so won’t be but was just wondering where I stand legally.

As haircuts has said, you may be losing £10 your lash tech if self employed has lost £30, I think if you look about in your area you will find everybody is charging for no shows especially in the world we are currently living in, cancellation/no show fees were something my salon didn’t do before lockdown, but as the stylists are self employed and are currently only travelling into work to do booked appointments, for every one of those that doesn’t turn up is a cost to the stylist/beautician something that they “can’t afford” either. Either way I can’t see your lash tech booking you another appointment until this is paid or expect it to be added to your next appointment with a deposit prior to appointment.
Im not intending on going back. Just wondering what happens when I don’t pay, can anything be done.

Well yeah I do need reminding as I have just go back to work as a teacher and have illness in the family so eyelashes where not my priority. I’m also self employed within schools so lots if times my pay has been down but I can’t do anything about it.. that’s life. I cant afford to give £10 so won’t be but was just wondering where I stand legally.

I imagine the salon won’t bother chasing you for £10 but will probably make a note in your file and won’t book you in with them again.

So if u think u can get in more money by not paying it you’d find the money to pay the £10? But if not you won’t honour a cancellation policy that the person you have let down with no notice at not even the full price? I’m sure if you had given her notice she could of filled the appointment space and let the fee go, as much as I sympathise with what may be going on in your life but a dentist would charge in the same situation so why not the hair and beauty industry and many others

I imagine the salon won’t bother chasing you for £10 but will probably make a note in your file and won’t book you in with them again.
Thank you

So if u think u can get in more money by not paying it you’d find the money to pay the £10? But if not you won’t honour a cancellation policy that the person you have let down with no notice at not even the full price? I’m sure if you had given her notice she could of filled the appointment space and let the fee go, as much as I sympathise with what may be going on in your life but a dentist would charge in the same situation so why not the hair and beauty industry and many others
I forgot, how could I let her know when I didn’t know??? I’m busy and have loads on and made a mistake but I can’t afford to pay £10 and wouldn’t of booked in if I knew there was a cancelation policy as I don’t believe in them. She never said there was one. My dentist sends an email and a text so i never forget? I don’t believe my dentist would charge me a fee if I missed an appointed either (not that I have).

I'm sorry for the illness in the family but I think you should do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. You could afford the £30 for lashes but not the £10 cancellation fee? What a shame... I'd give her the £10 and consider myself £20 ahead of the game.

We are all in the pandemic. Lots of people have lost jobs/income/family members, etc.

When you do the right thing, good things come your way. Do the not nice thing and sometimes Karma comes back to bite you in the bum.

I'm sorry for the illness in the family but I think you should do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. You could afford the £30 for lashes but not the £10 cancellation fee? What a shame... I'd give her the £10 and consider myself £20 ahead of the game.

We are all in the pandemic. Lots of people have lost jobs/income/family members, etc.

When you do the right thing, good things come your way. Do the not nice thing and sometimes Karma comes back to bite you in the bum.
I can’t give her £10 as when I book somewhere else to get my lashes done they will cost £40 and I don’t have the extra £10 to spend. I don’t think it is the right thing as I wasn’t aware of a cancellation fee and if I was I would not have booked.

I can’t give her £10 as when I book somewhere else to get my lashes done they will cost £40 and I don’t have the extra £10 to spend. I don’t think it is the right thing as I wasn’t aware of a cancellation fee and if I was I would not have booked.

If you went back to your original tech, it would cost you £10 cancellation fee plus £30 for the service (£40 total) and you can apologise for messing them around.

If you went back to your original tech, it would cost you £10 cancellation fee plus £30 for the service (£40 total) and you can apologise for messing them around.
yeah I don’t have £40 to spend.. can you read? I’m not apologising again. If they don’t want too be messed around find a new career. I asked originally for advice on what can be done when they are asking for money I’m not going to give them.

yeah I don’t have £40 to spend.. can you read? I’m not apologising again. If they don’t want too be messed around find a new career. I asked originally for advice on what can be done when they are asking for money I’m not going to give them.

I find this thread very depressing. Do our clients really believe that they are entitled to treat our fellow therapists and colleagues with such obvious contempt?

Hi I had a client yesterday call to say she had double booked with her hairdresser and our nail tech which was an hour and a half with half an hour notice. We take full payment if the appointment isn’t cancelled within 24 hours. She paid in full and rebooked for today. She was perfectly happy and understanding. Our clients value our time. How thoughtful and lovely would it be if you to pay in full rather than even just £10. It may mean missing this months appointment for you financially however you were attracted to this business and their qualities before and could return. Hopefully hearing from therapists will give you an understanding of the challenges. All the best.

Hi I had a client yesterday call to say she had double booked with her hairdresser and our nail tech which was an hour and a half with half an hour notice. We take full payment if the appointment isn’t cancelled within 24 hours. She paid in full and rebooked for today. She was perfectly happy and understanding. Our clients value our time. How thoughtful and lovely would it be if you to pay in full rather than even just £10. It may mean missing this months appointment for you financially however you were attracted to this business and their qualities before and could return. Hopefully hearing from therapists will give you an understanding of the challenges. All the best.
Hi, that’s lovely of that client but I’m not that nice/weak. How do you take the full payment if a client refuses to pay? Do you let clients know you want the full fee before they book the appointment?

Hi, that’s lovely of that client but I’m not that nice/weak. How do you take the full payment if a client refuses to pay? Do you let clients know you want the full fee before they book the appointment?

A few therapists in my area all share details of bad behaved clients and those that don't show up or pay up. If I was that therapist, I would be adding you to that list to nature you don't get to do that to another salon, thy would accept your booking but you would be paying up front.

And we take payments for no shows, as they secure the booing with their debit/credit card which automatically charges th full amount for a no show. Had a client cancelled short notice they would be charged the cancellation fee which is 50%.

I find your attitude terrible, you've no consideration for the therapist, and post COVID you're not the only one which is why myself and lots of other therapists are now charging the full amount upfront when client books. You may think you are the only person to do that on that day or week to that therapist, but you won't be. And it's so annoying when people like you just book and don't cancel and waste the day when we could have been taking clients who turn up.

Yes, we have a cancellation policy. It’s not a sign of weakness. Your therapist will not earn any money in that time. You wouldn’t turn up for work and not be paid. I’m sorry you feel in a negative place about this and are looking for a legal way out of paying the £10. I’m certain the salon will not pursue you and when this happened in our salon we moved on and filled our salon with grateful, appreciative clients who love what we do and see how not showing impacts the future of our salon. It’s all fine, move on and find peace, love and understanding.

I find this thread very depressing. Do our clients really believe that they are entitled to treat our fellow therapists and colleagues with such obvious contempt?

Yes they do, clearly this is the attitude of many, whilst not wishing to bash @HoneyBee20 she has given us a very clear indication of how our services are perceived. Perhaps we should listen and stop being treated so poorly, start taking 50% non refundable deposits, clearly state cancellation policies and charge appropriately for cancellations, etc instead of just taking it and smiling for the sake if good customer service.

A few therapists in my area all share details of bad behaved clients and those that don't show up or pay up. If I was that therapist, I would be adding you to that list to nature you don't get to do that to another salon, thy would accept your booking but you would be paying up front.

And we take payments for no shows, as they secure the booing with their debit/credit card which automatically charges th full amount for a no show. Had a client cancelled short notice they would be charged the cancellation fee which is 50%.

I find your attitude terrible, you've no consideration for the therapist, and post COVID you're not the only one which is why myself and lots of other therapists are now charging the full amount upfront when client books. You may think you are the only person to do that on that day or week to that therapist, but you won't be. And it's so annoying when people like you just book and don't cancel and waste the day when we could have been taking clients who turn up.
I work in different areas so can go to get my eyelashes done anywhere as I drive past loads of places on route ;) it’s not a problem. I will never be paying upfront for anything as I don’t believe in it. Annoying as it might be that’s life and when you work with the public it’s hard lines. I haven’t booked with a credit card just an appointment by text so I’m assuming nothing can be done then. Great. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back