Cancellation policies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toodles

Reaction score
Hi all geeks

I've been putting my price list together and was wondering about the most effective way to word my cancellation policy. Does anyone have any ideas or tell me what works for them?

Jeni

On my price list i have it at the bottom saying, " Please give 24 hours notice if you need to cancel an appointment, failure to do so may incur a charge."

It does bring it to the clients attention, but wether they take any notice i don't know, still new to building a client base, so never had to enforce it YET.

Hi,

I've also got a message on the bottom of my price list asking clients to give me notice 24hrs before their appiontment but i also tell them when they book their appiontment.

I have stated " please call 24hrs prior to your appiontment to cancel thank you"

Oooooh as some of you may know this is a really sore subject for me. Just had a really big spate of late cancels and no-shows, and put a thread about enforcing a cancellation charge and got a negative reaction. It is v difficult to have the courage to enfore a charge if someone phones 10 mins before an appt to say their car has broken down, their child has just thrown up everywhere etc, or if a regular client just plain forgets. To try and cut down on the no-shows we are now phoning clients 24 hours in advance a la my dentist, so will see if this works. However we will be placing big notices in the salon to say we have a cancel policy just so they know it is annoying when they do fail to turn up when booked. Remember as well if you were ill and had to cancel their appt short notice would you reciprocate the policy? Just a thought ( not sure where it cam from really voila perhaps my parbles (parble?? what's a parble, I mean marbles)are finally finding their way back to me!!)

sarah haslam said:
Oooooh as some of you may know this is a really sore subject for me. Just had a really big spate of late cancels and no-shows, and put a thread about enforcing a cancellation charge and got a negative reaction. It is v difficult to have the courage to enfore a charge if someone phones 10 mins before an appt to say their car has broken down, their child has just thrown up everywhere etc, or if a regular client just plain forgets. To try and cut down on the no-shows we are now phoning clients 24 hours in advance a la my dentist, so will see if this works. However we will be placing big notices in the salon to say we have a cancel policy just so they know it is annoying when they do fail to turn up when booked. Remember as well if you were ill and had to cancel their appt short notice would you reciprocate the policy? Just a thought ( not sure where it cam from really voila perhaps my parbles (parble?? what's a parble, I mean marbles)are finally finding their way back to me!!)
I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt the first time and gently mention it to them but if they do it again then they already know the score. You'll soon sort the real cancellations from the excuse makers.

Thats great. Thanks for all your replies. I can see it can be a tricky one. I think I might put something on my price list so at least everyone is aware of it, but take a judgement call for each case. I know I would certainly make sure I cancelled my appointment in time if I read that on a price list.

Jeni

At our salon we call EVERYONE the night before to confirm the appointment. We continue to call thru-out the night if we don't get an answer. Some people we leave messages on their answering machines and they will call back and let us know either way. IT's very efficient.

it's just the plane rude ones you've gotta watch out for. the ones who you call the day off appointment and they claim they knew nothing about it. (because your husband confirmed it) so u give benefit of the doubt and book them in for the next day and they don't turn up, no phone call or anything. then the next day at work your husband asks said client where they were and she says oh i was at bluewater till 7 and i couldn't be bothered to come round after that coz my appointment was at 5. he then says why didn't you ring. she says, i was shopping simon, you clearly don't understand how important shopping is to a women. he says, you clearly don't understand how much you've mucked my wife around, and how she hs lost money because of you.she says, oh well!

how rude.

point being, regardless of calls the night before, and promises written in blood, sime people will just always let you down for a stupid reason, and not even realise that they have done wrong!

the advice i was given on this was to ask for a deposit, if money is already invested, they are more likley to turn up, if they don't, your losses are lower, and hey, you won't have to use the products!

these people just aren't worth it, in my opinion, there are only a few true excuses,a nd the shame is they kinda involve tragedy! such as accident on way, someone close to them rushed to hospital etc.

luckybird21 said:
it's just the plane rude ones you've gotta watch out for. the ones who you call the day off appointment and they claim they knew nothing about it. (because your husband confirmed it) so u give benefit of the doubt and book them in for the next day and they don't turn up, no phone call or anything. then the next day at work your husband asks said client where they were and she says oh i was at bluewater till 7 and i couldn't be bothered to come round after that coz my appointment was at 5. he then says why didn't you ring. she says, i was shopping simon, you clearly don't understand how important shopping is to a women. he says, you clearly don't understand how much you've mucked my wife around, and how she hs lost money because of you.she says, oh well!

how rude.

point being, regardless of calls the night before, and promises written in blood, sime people will just always let you down for a stupid reason, and not even realise that they have done wrong!

the advice i was given on this was to ask for a deposit, if money is already invested, they are more likley to turn up, if they don't, your losses are lower, and hey, you won't have to use the products!

these people just aren't worth it, in my opinion, there are only a few true excuses,a nd the shame is they kinda involve tragedy! such as accident on way, someone close to them rushed to hospital etc.
I did wonder what the outcome was of your no-show client - how bloody rude is that??? Well you will know never to take an appointment from her again - unless of course she pays in full beforehand and then you couldnt care less.

This thread has made me feel like a ruthless business women! I have my cancellation policy printed on the back of the appointment cards. I have little folded cards so there are four small sides to print on! There are very few excuses that I will waive the charge for - obviously a family death or accident would qualify!

I only ever telephone new clients the night before. It would be too much time, effort and money to ring everyone.

I have lost a few clients who were not prepared to pay the cancellation fee, but most pay up and continue coming - they never miss a second time!

If a new client does not turn up (after the phone call), I will not make another appointment for them unless they come in with the fee. So far all this works for me, but if you're just starting out, or clients are thin on the ground it might be hard.

I also make a point of letting clients know that it is no problem when they give me enough notice.

Just thought I'd give you my list of policies....

CREATIVE POLICIES REGARDING CLIENTS

No refunds or service exchanges.

Gift certificates not redeemable for cash or retail items, or transferable, and must be redeemed with the service they were issued for.

$25.00 fee for bounced checks
(MY inside info: One bounced check=cash next time for service plus the $25 fee, second bounced check=prepay in advance for the service they book, third bounced check- they're fired.).

$20.00 fee for appt. not cancelled or rebooked within 24 hours.
(Our receptionist confirms ALL appointments the night before)

20 minutes late grace period for appointments- after 20 minutes they forfeit their appointment (I explain to them this 20 minute theory when they book an appointment).

10-20 minutes late they miss out on the extras :rolleyes: (hand massage, gloss buffing, uv gel sealant, etc- whatever is the 'extra' in their appointment and/or I work VERY fast). (My appointment cards say "10 minutes late grace period allowed- services adjusted).

No Show, No Call for one appointment is acceptable- No show fee applies. (things happen I guess) :sad:

No Show, No Call for second appointment :evil: requires pre-payment for new appointment.

)Of course there are exceptions- emergencies :cry: ... I take this into consideration.)

Enhancement services guaranteed/warranteed for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, repair (if necessary) charges vary.

(Side note: all regular standing appointment clients NEVER pay any repair fees... even if they go 5 or 6 weeks in between appt-- usually this happens because they cancel one appointment [for good reason]-- and can't get in with me until their next appointment... so my rationalizing is-- since I can't get them in earlier, if something should happen, I won't charge them.) ;)

Hope this helps!!

Latest posts

Back