Cancellation policy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmie_77

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I’m trying to get better at setting clear boundaries and wondered what is your cancellation policy for your business is it 50% of cost or full cost 24hrs?
Thank you
Emily

So I have a 48 hour cancellation policy.
I take 50% booking fee of the payment at the time of booking IF they are a new client, are booking a long appointment or they have cancelled within 48 hours previously.
The amount they pay upfront comes off the total cost when they have attended their appointment.
If they cancel within 48 hours of their appointment, they lose their booking fee.
If they cancel giving more than 48 hours notice, I will transfer the booking fee to their new appointment.
The booking fee is not refundable.
The only time I take a booking fee from everyone is during busy months June-Aug and December.

My coworker uses a booking system whereby the client has to agree to put in their card details and agree to the terms when booking, that basically says if you cancel within 48 hours, 50% will be taken automatically and if its within 24 hours, 100% will be taken.

Do what works for you. At the end of the day, we still have to pay our bills etc and if someone has held an appointment for 3 weeks and then cancelled the day before or whatever, when you've been turning people away, we most likely lose out.

after years of it rarely being a problem, I had to set up a cancelation policy, I charged a base price that is the average of my income per hour
it seemed unfair to charge for a more expensive service cancelled vs a less expensive service and avoided tempting clients to lie, "no, that wasn't a new set, it was a manicure"
we didn't take credit cards at the time of appointment so, I lost the money if they never returned, but most, paid as the price of the next visit and even those who cancelled through no fault of their own (I said I wouldn't charge them) insisted on paying for the lost time
I didn't charge them if the time filled with someone on stand by or a new call

the issue is lost time/income, so, as long as the time filled no issue, it also inspired some to call a friend and offer them the time
a few would send someone in as a "gift" thinking they were paying anyway...

the problems came with the people who would lie
I didn't charge for illness or emergency, flat tire, sick child, worked with a hair dresser who charged a good client who turned around on the freeway, called me in tears, notified her father was dying.

amusing when some would lie about it and later talk about the last minute invitation... when they were supposed to be waiting at the dr's office or stranded on the 405 with a flat tire...

I worked in salons who would not discipline discourteous clients, I watched people who had a full day book sit and wait for clients who never showed up and had a attitude if we called to find out what happened to them. I've had more than a few "confrontations" (them angry, me quietly explaining how working for a living works and cheerfully offering to share the names of products I used successfully on them with their new manicurist who is independently wealthy)
usually a few visits to the walk-in quickie salons made them more appreciative

some find they liked the "walk in" aspect of quick and cheap

Latest posts

Back