Cancelling out copper

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmylou411

Reaction score
Hey, I am a qualified hairdresser and am looking for a second opinion in my decision please. I have a client who had inch 1/2 regroup base 6 and ends faded 7.45 I shall post a pic of now and what she wants- she wants to be a light ash brown all over. The sides and underneath were shaved last time and so that’s all natural now. I am thinking to put 7.11 all over to try and achieve this and mute out the copper. Does anyone thing this may become to muddy or flat looking on her natural? But it’s needed for the copper! Shall I go safe and do 1/2 7.1, 1/2 7 or even 8 because she does t want it to darken xx I explained by getting rid of the gold she will feel darker as won’t get the light reflecting the warm tones

Attachments

• 7CC34A9E-8B79-4028-8E72-CFE6CFAB191A.png
    7CC34A9E-8B79-4028-8E72-CFE6CFAB191A.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 5950D797-86DF-49C7-8FA9-42163EF66AAE.png
    5950D797-86DF-49C7-8FA9-42163EF66AAE.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 2D18288F-3779-4559-8F50-F729400B121B.jpeg
    2D18288F-3779-4559-8F50-F729400B121B.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 90
  • B7E815A6-5CCC-4581-AAD4-A78044053139.png
    B7E815A6-5CCC-4581-AAD4-A78044053139.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
Personally I’d gently cleanse that copper out.
After a few weeks that warmth is going to creep back through otherwise.
Agreed you would need to do different on the root to the ends. The 8 May come out warmer though as your shifting her base and exposing the underlying tone!

Thanks for your reply, ok yes that’s a good shout for the cleanse. And yes your right about the 8 thank you. Perhaps il do a cleanse, then depending on that, 7.1 or 7.11 on warm ends and 7 +7.1 on natural maybe x

Much better option :)
Be careful on using too intense ash after cleanse Incase it goes green!
May only need violet rather than blue!
Hope all goes well x

Hope all goes well x
Hope all goes well x
thank you for your help x

I agree with having to lift out the excess tone. I'd probably be inclined to lift it to a level 8 first, so there's no orange left.
Then tone back down with 7.1 with added violet - this will help with stopping the green hue and give more of an ash /mushroom brown.

I think I'd be asking more about what the client likes about the photo. If it is the silvery lengths and ends they need to pre-lightened to a level 9 or 10 very pale yellow to support a true ash shade. You have to lighten the hair a good two levels lighter than target for a true ash tone, and putting any permanent colour on level 6 coarse hair will expose so much orange pigment.

Thanks for your reply.. it isn’t the silvery tones that she is particularly interested in getting as shown in the picture, she just stated she would like a nice light brown preferably with an ash tone to it rather than warm. She understands she isn’t going to achieve it in one go as I’ve explained going from such a rich copper colour it’s hard to then go straight to a flat ash colour without distressing the hair in some way. She also sent me a pic of a 7.0 which is just a flat basic light brown ( or blonde in our terms!) so I believe it’s more giving her a more natural cool brown colour x

Attachments

• 484747AF-5CF1-44E0-9478-C5E147BD6B2C.jpeg
    484747AF-5CF1-44E0-9478-C5E147BD6B2C.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 28
Ok I think what I would do in your situation is explain to the client the limits of what you can achieve with different colours and manage her expectations. Really you need to remove that copper before you do anything else.

After that she has three options:
- use a level 6 ash demi, this will cover the warmth but this will look darker
- use a level 7 ash permanent but this will still look warm on the roots, whatever the manufacturers tell you, she will lift with orange pigmentation.
- use a mixture of demi and highlights

If it was my client I would probably try and get them to do number 3.
1) remove the orange ends with a mild bleach bath or cleanse.
2) add foils either highlights or backcombed with bleach until pale yellow
3) apply a level 6 demi on the rest of the hair
4) tone the foils with a level 8 ash.

I feel this would give the most natural ash look without being too dark, on her hair considering her existing colour, natural base and texture.
Of course it would be a decision between you and your client. She might not want to pay for so much work and have a darker color. Or be slightly lighter with a tint and accept some warmth instead of ash.

But I think the most important thing is being honest and realist with the client otherwise they can be disappointed.

That's my honest opinion anyway, hope that helps!

Last edited:
Can you please help? I am an alopecia sufferer( long 25 years). No h.dresser is accepting responsibility to colour my wig😭. Therefore I am left to do it by myself.

Stuck with this orangey tone which I really don't like. I have series of 6/6.1/7/7.1 matrix so blur/ blonde me bleach etc at home.
Developer wise am I using 20 vol, wondered if that is not giving me the result I want like this circled area colour?
How can I achieve this circled picture, 6.1 or 6.11 ashy dark blonde all over from this orangey/copper mess.

Thank you ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20220312_141044.jpg
    IMG_20220312_141044.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20220313-204909.png
    Screenshot_20220313-204909.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220226-101424.png
    Screenshot_20220226-101424.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Look up Dr Andrew Kaufman MD, I recall him offering advice on detoxifying the scalp for alopecia probably a year or so ago now, both through diet and scalp treatments, caused by heavy metal toxicity from what I remember.... Good luck....

Look up Dr Andrew Kaufman MD, I recall him offering advice on detoxifying the scalp for alopecia probably a year or so ago now, both through diet and scalp treatments, caused by heavy metal toxicity from what I remember.... Good luck....

Can you please help? I am an alopecia sufferer( long 25 years). No h.dresser is accepting responsibility to colour my wig😭. Therefore I am left to do it by myself.

Stuck with this orangey tone which I really don't like. I have series of 6/6.1/7/7.1 matrix so blur/ blonde me bleach etc at home.
Developer wise am I using 20 vol, wondered if that is not giving me the result I want like this circled area colour?
How can I achieve this circled picture, 6.1 or 6.11 ashy dark blonde all over from this orangey/copper mess.

Thank you ❤

Thank you I will look up on Dr Kaufman.
But at the same time I need to tone this beast so I can get in and out to public without all the states.
Please please help.

Thank you ❤️
Can I ask what is the quality of the wig like?
Has anyone given a reason as to why they won't colour your wig?
The colour you have circled is an ash base, but it has been prelightened first. So putting 6.1 over blonde hair and putting 6.1 over copper hair will give you totally different results.
The wig isn't technically lighter enough to become the ashy silver colour you're wanting to achieve, but it's also not advisable to try and bleach /lighten the wig - this is usually recipe for disaster.
Personally I'd be looking at trying a blue shampoo ( no orange shampoo) you'll be surprised how well extensions /wigs respond to the toning shampoos. Following that if it's not cool enough. I'd look at using a direct colour, rather than a permanent colour.
Permanent colour will not give you the results you want, because it's designed to do the opposite of what you're asking it to do. Scarp the 20vol too. That's too high for what you need.

Thank you, the quality of the wig is on the poorer side than the Indian, I used to get in London but now in another part of the world all I can get is this Chinese one with considerably bad hair but it takes the colour well at least. I tried with 5.1Kadus today again with %20 vol,(that's all I had) it turned dark with no ash at all.

Other option is to try Korean mousse type of colour that I used before which lasts about 10-12 washes only, but very easy to use compared to tube colours. I will note that down the vol that I need to change to 10 from now on.
These wigs take the bleach well unless you go silly and crazy with 40 vol, however I may try toning with Wella T14 or T18, I do not remember but once it gave me an ok result in past, again should I use %10 vol or even lover to do this process with wella thingy?
I have Cynos C1 ash enhancer as well, don't know how it could be useful or should I just leave it aside.
Thank you for your help I am ever so grateful, no matter how much I say to the HDs here I can not convince them to do colour at all, much easier to colour than a real head of hair as there is no scalp to be afraid of and less fuss from the owner she just wants an ashy colour unlike classic hair dresser eater clients.

I will try to get a decent purple shampoo too, which brand shall I invest in?

Heya was thinking with all the time and money your investing in your wig do you think maybe its time to get new one boost your confidence! create a new you! if a qualified hairdresser \techs are turning you away maybe its time to have fun create that new you thats waiting to burst out 😊

Thank you, the quality of the wig is on the poorer side than the Indian, I used to get in London but now in another part of the world all I can get is this Chinese one with considerably bad hair but it takes the colour well at least. I tried with 5.1Kadus today again with %20 vol,(that's all I had) it turned dark with no ash at all.

Other option is to try Korean mousse type of colour that I used before which lasts about 10-12 washes only, but very easy to use compared to tube colours. I will note that down the vol that I need to change to 10 from now on.
These wigs take the bleach well unless you go silly and crazy with 40 vol, however I may try toning with Wella T14 or T18, I do not remember but once it gave me an ok result in past, again should I use %10 vol or even lover to do this process with wella thingy?
I have Cynos C1 ash enhancer as well, don't know how it could be useful or should I just leave it aside.
Thank you for your help I am ever so grateful, no matter how much I say to the HDs here I can not convince them to do colour at all, much easier to colour than a real head of hair as there is no scalp to be afraid of and less fuss from the owner she just wants an ashy colour unlike classic hair dresser eater clients.
The fact that you say the quality isn't the best is making me think this is why professionals are not wanting to colour your wig. Can you maybe see if you can find a wig that's the right colour?

They do not communicate well with buyers they just managed to get the size right which I am grateful to be honest.
If I say A they understand as Z, if I say B they take it as D.... Despite the bad quality I end up doing all the bleaching etc myself usually,which is a lengthy process and eats me up. Rather pay to a pro to do it how we they turn down perfectly workable hair.
The colour I want is 6.11-7.11, they can not produce it they say the colour they sent me is the closest (nowhere near as ash at all)
I tried 0.11 ash enhancer today with tiniest, minimum amount of 20 vol developer. It took the redness however the brown colour is still there🤯waiting for %10 to arrive.

Latest posts

Back