Candles and Safety

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I was inspired by a recent thread that mentioned candles. Without sounding like a nervous wreck, I was concerned that some of our newer members might have misunderstood about having open flames on our desks.

If you are going to use candles in your salon or work area, please be very, very careful. So many of our products - acetone, Scrubfresh, primer, base and top coats, tip blender, nail varnish, gels, and especially monomer - are extremely flammable, and shouldn't be around any heat source, especially an open flame. Because we use them every day, I think it's easy to forget how volatile this stuff really is - I've spent some time reading over the MSDS sheets for monomer lately, and it's not very forgiving stuff!

Keep the candles a good distance away from your desks (say, on a bookshelf across the room), and don't light them while you are working with open containers of product. Stay safe!!

Dawn

Good advice dawn.

I personally would not have any candles. If you want the nice effect then maybe opt for the flameless candle airfreshner they advertise on tv,

I'd be the one catching myself on fire............LOL:lol:

Some folks are drawn to the idea of scented candles to mask the smell of monomer ... but then I have to ask the question ... why does your work space smell of monomer when it doesn't need to?? Search tips for reducing odour.

Odour is as big a problem as YOU make it.

I agree with the thread starters advice absolutely ... Health & Safety would not be too keen on the idea of candles anywhere near the work station and I think they are a potential hazard anyway personally.

I couldn't believe how little monomer odour there was when you were working during the popit demo in Glasgow Gigi. The gauze pad with the scrubfresh really did the trick I think. xx

I couldn't believe how little monomer odour there was when you were working during the PopIt demo in Glasgow Gigi. The gauze pad with the ScrubFresh really did the trick I think. xx

It is a fantastic trick I teach to everyone. So simple .. so effective ... what a difference it makes.

The trick: When you have finished sanitising your clients nails using your ScrubFresh and a gauze pad .. Place the gauze pad on your working side and if and when you need to wipe your brush as you are working, always wipe it on the damp pad.

Why? The slight dampness on the pad 'draws' any excess liquid INTO the pad and traps it there.

Wiping on your paper or a dry pad just spreads the liquid out more and increases the odour.

Put a drop of water on a dry tissue and watch it spread out!! This is what monomer does on dry paper ... suddenly a small spot of monomer becomes a huge spot of monomer, stinking out the work area.

Using the damp pad with ScrubFresh as your brush wipe also makes sure you are wiping in the same place every time and not leaning on the paper, as you work, where there is unreacted monomer.

How many rashes have I seen on the wrists of nail technicians who do that over and over again!!

Back to Candles!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back