Cannot believe what a client told me 2day...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Hi, i went to do a rebalance for one of my clients 2day and she was telling me about a friend of hers that got her nails done and loved them until she went for infills and ended up that she is now on a 2nd course of antibiotics for seriously septic fingers:eek: caused by the nail tech ( as we now know the NSS in town)!! This lady as im told is now so upset surely something must be able to be done about these people i mean i cant see how suing would stop it but i was so shocked:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The licensing board needs to be notified ASAP!
There was an outbreak of staph infections in San Jose, California (USA) a few years back and 147 "chop shops" were shut down due to insufficient sanitation/sterilization practices. The general public also needs to be educated on what to look for when they visit a salon.
Sure lawsuits will hit the offenders where it hurts, (in the pocketbook) but the industry itself needs to stay on top of things.

The licensing board needs to be notified ASAP!
There was an outbreak of staph infections in San Jose, California (USA) a few years back and 147 "chop shops" were shut down due to insufficient sanitation/sterilization practices. The general public also needs to be educated on what to look for when they visit a salon.
Sure lawsuits will hit the offenders where it hurts, (in the pocketbook) but the industry itself needs to stay on top of things.

Unfortunately ther is no licensing board here in the UK,an issue which many are striving to put right.

I would however urge her to contact trading standards cab and the local rag hth's

I would advise her to contact the Environmental Health Dept of her local Council.
After all if you got food poisoning at a dodgy restaurant they would be the ones to do something about it!!

it is really shocking that this goes on, but although their reputation takes a knocking, they still go on.

It is about educating the public, and perhap for all you properly registered and trained nail techs, to have a handout to give clients on what to look for in a professional would be a good start, and put it onto your website. A bit like an unofficial KITE mark.

think nailzoo did a really good comment on this a while back.

I would advise her to contact the Environmental Health Dept of her local Council.
After all if you got food poisoning at a dodgy restaurant they would be the ones to do something about it!!

i would do exactly this....contact your enviromental heath dept or local council....lets stop these nss bars once and for all xxxxx

I had a client in recently and she has her nails done in an nss and it made me soo mad!!her nails were awful, white bruises all over where they had filed so so low onto her nail plate, as i was filing the acrylic, it smelt fishy!! its gross and the nails look horrible, its so frustrating because all the techs out there that do beautiful nails and work so hard often get shut down because these places are so much bigger, even if they are infecting all thier clients!!!

ok rage over! :irked:

I had a client in recently and she has her nails done in an nss and it made me soo mad!!her nails were awful, white bruises all over where they had filed so so low onto her nail plate, as i was filing the acrylic, it smelt fishy!! its gross and the nails look horrible, its so frustrating because all the techs out there that do beautiful nails and work so hard often get shut down because these places are so much bigger, even if they are infecting all thier clients!!!

ok rage over! :irked:

we have no nss bars where i live..(thank god!!)...and i only knew about nss on here...so can i ask you...why was the ladys nails smelling fishy?????????....is it what nss use as nobody on here as said its a fishy smell????...sound gross...xxx

heya yep the acrylic smelled fishy!!it was really wierd she came in and she is a clean client! (lol) so did the norm sanitize the hands prep etc and she was definatly not fishy!!then when i started filing it really smelt fishy!!i even said to her does this smell fishy to you and she sed yep! hehe dont know why maybe my sense of smell is just wierd! xx

heya yep the acrylic smelled fishy!!it was really wierd she came in and she is a clean client! (lol) so did the norm sanitize the hands prep etc and she was definatly not fishy!!then when i started filing it really smelt fishy!!i even said to her does this smell fishy to you and she sed yep! hehe dont know why maybe my sense of smell is just wierd! xx

or maybe your sense of smell is good...thanks anyway xxxxxxxxxxxx

MMA tends to smell fishy when filed

im a hair geek training in beauty and nails- whats a nss bar?

Non Standard Salon, and I am slowly getting all their customers from our local one coming to me. Its taken a few months and damage to their nails unfortunately, now I have had chance to educate them on what to look for they won't be going back to them (I hope!)

There are so many NSS' where I live. This term is new to me though, we call them 'Nail Factories'. Rows and rows of unprofessional nail techs, usually foreigners paid very very poorly and that don't speak a word of english. It's not only the poor health stantards that my clients complain about, but the lack of personal service, since they're always talking amongst each other in their language rather than conversing with the client. Some clients even say they beleived they are being mocked or being laughed at by them. Making your clients feel uncomfortable is highly unprofessional under any circumstances... Not to mention the lack of cleanliness... these places should be shut down!

There are so many NSS' where I live. This term is new to me though, we call them 'Nail Factories'. Rows and rows of unprofessional nail techs, usually foreigners paid very very poorly and that don't speak a word of english. It's not only the poor health stantards that my clients complain about, but the lack of personal service, since they're always talking amongst each other in their language rather than conversing with the client. Some clients even say they beleived they are being mocked or being laughed at by them. Making your clients feel uncomfortable is highly unprofessional under any circumstances... Not to mention the lack of cleanliness... these places should be shut down!

I felt like this when I had my nails done in San Fransico....and she cut me

NSS salons.... .. who's fault is it that they exist?
It's the clients that go there and pay for this kind of service.
They complain, have damaged nails...but somehow they still go to these places because they are fast and convinient.
Also, unfortunatelly... paying more doesn't equal better quality always in this business and we all know that.

Some of my clients were to expensive spas to get their nails done and they came back with disaster. They paid $60 for rebalance.... and got very poor quality work done.
Actually to be honest... I've seen work of couple local NSS salons in my area and their nails look quite OK. The nails look pretty even, not very thick.... just a little "fake" ;)
Sure they are overfiled a bit and the salons look very dirty and unwelcoming... but like I said.. they offer what clients are looking for I guess...
Just some food for thought.............

Unfortunately, there are no standards (or very little) in our industry
People come right out of "school" sometimes (that lasts few days to boot)... thinking they deserve to get paid well.... and usually the same as veteran tech that has years of experience and does beautiful work.
Clients don't know what to expect

Here in Australia they are popping up everywhere... all asian owned and I am sure that they are all families working.. none trained... I knew that there products had MMA in them cause i can also smell them when i file but also it is so bloody hard... now i just tell clients if you have gone to the nail bars then we need to start with a fresh set... most have realo damage to their nail plate and burn marks around their skin... but each time I walk past one they are full! why is that????? drive me nuts!
Most people once they have a real tech do their nails they see the light.. others just don;t care... my sister in law vomited and had head aches about 6 hrs after being there ( she lives in another state) she said she never put 2 and 2 together until i read her an article over the phone one night.. since she has take the nails off she is fine....
BEWARE of these Nail bars... they dont even steralize their bloody drills after making the last person bleed they just keep going!

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe I am reading all this. The reason I got into this business is due to going to the local "Chinese Salon" when my usual tech let me down for the third time. I went along to the "chinese" and had the badly needed repair done, without having to wait and yes they chatted on in their own language and I did not understand but I was getting a "quick" and very cheap fix so I went back when my infills needed doing. One guy spoke fairly good english so he commenced the job on my nails saying that he could not understand what all this shiny stuff was on my nails and saying that he could not get it off so there he is with his electric file filing away at my nails saying that we would have to grow out this hard shiny stuff!!! (I now know this was a UV sealant gel) Anyway he then passes me over to a girl that speaks no english and she finishes me off. I A couple of hours later I am back home hating the thick tallon like things that now hang off the end of my fingers. So much did I hate it that I went back and the guy gets his electric file and files it all off, along with a load of my own nail. All the time they are talking amongst themselves and I feel very much that the are having a go at me. Anyway here I am now, done the training and do my own nails, don't use acrylic any more cos its hard to do on yourself, so use gel by NSI but I do do acrylic on others and I am so careful not to do the same to them as I have had done to me. Too many cowboys out there really. So glad to have had the opportunity to share my experience. I am still very inexperienced but am learning from people like you every day.

Thanks so much, Anna

Latest posts

Back