Can't blow dry my own hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beremy

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to matter what I try for blow drying my hair it doesn't work. I wrap hair in an aquis towel until it's 80% dry. I have coloured hair and use products for coloured hair that are paraben and sulphate free. I try to keep the nozzle following the brush and going down the hair shaft. It seems nice and silky and dry. Although any little movement of the hair dryer makes hundreds of little hairs fly up. I put a putty on or some oil to smooth. For a short while my hair at least appears silky and dry and smoothish. Within 30 mins though it has gone fluffy, flyaway and very dry, straw like and coarse to the touch. I really hate it and feel it looks so unprofessional for it be in that condition. I've followed tutorials on YouTube, tried smoothing oil before blow drying (I have wavy hair). I read somewhere that it might not be properly dry - but it feels bone dry at the time although I wonder if it really is as dry as it seems. I use a cooling shot as well. Hair stylist has no problem and she makes it hang lovely, no fluffy, little in the way of hairs that won't lie flat and it's silky to touch. My hair is fine but there's lots of it so no thin curtains! It looks better after a few days and tbh I leave washing it as long as possible because I hate it so much. Advice very much appreciated.

I'm not sure what products your using but if you're liking how your hairstylist does your hair I would ask what products they're using on it and give them a go instead if you're not already? I'd also ask your stylist for advice as they'll know your hair best, tell them your issues when doing it yourself and I'm sure they'll be able to help you :)

I'm not sure what products your using but if you're liking how your hairstylist does your hair I would ask what products they're using on it and give them a go instead if you're not already? I'd also ask your stylist for advice as they'll know your hair best, tell them your issues when doing it yourself and I'm sure they'll be able to help you :)
I use the same products. Hairdresser just says it is difficult to blow dry your own hair.

Hi I have wavy hair I use macadamia oil a ceramic brush and I'm afraid to say lots of heat when I dry it I am a hairdresser and know heat is bad but I only wash my hair every 1 to 2 weeks as I wear it up a lot so not doing it every day. Letting the natural oils go through helps keep it in great condition and also not blow drying it too much I must admit I'm not a fan of straighteners I have a lot of hair but feel like I've none after using straighteners. Ask your hairdresser for tips also you might want to consider buying a professional hairdryer they do make a difference. If your hair still has water in it and you've not dried it properly that might be the problem good luck and maybe let your natural curls take control if youre not happy with your diy blow dry X

Getting the same results is difficult but I always recommend
1. A good powerful hairdryer - fastest airflow is key. Try Toni & guy shop online - they’re what the staff use in the salon so are good.
2. heat retention brush - these are the metal round brushes with plastic spikes- they do get a bit of getting used to but the metal base smooths your hair as you blow dry.alternatively you will get more grip and tension with an all bristle brush which may be easier to start with as it grips your hair and you need tension to smooth out you hair.
3. Section your hair
Separate from ear to ear the front and back sections and secure with crocodile clips.
Dry the fringe area and hairline first if it tends to kink.
Then from the nape of your neck upwards at the back of your head 2” sections depending on the thickness of your hair. There needs to be tension to smooth your hair - YouTube vids are good to see techniques.
I suspect maybe the towel dry method you are using is taking too much moisture out of your hair - especially around the front where your hair is finest. You need a little bit of moisture so your hair is still pliable- too dry and it’ll go frizzy as it’s already set in it’s wave. Take a small strand of wet hair and pull it and it will stretch- do the same with dry hair and it won’t. A quick blast with the hairdryer will do the trick to get most of the wetness out of your hair.
4. product
Shampoo conditioner do make a huge difference
I love L’Oréal professional range and am quite liking L’Oréal dream lengths conditioner as it’s quite smoothing but still light. It is unfortunately trial and error to find something that suits your hair. The hairdresser could be using anything on your hair and get it straight because it’s easier for her - you may need something that gives you a little more smoothness or control. there are some great new products out there at the mo, smoothing blow dry serums - Toni & guy one is pretty good. Admittedly it’s a minefield but a little bit of Googling and you tube will help.
But practise makes perfect and I still get days when I’ve blowdryed my hair and it goes frizzy after an hour- mainly if I’ve rushed it or not sectioned properly. Doing it all the time isn’t good though. I’ll try and have a day where i leave it to dry naturally with conditioner on inbetween blowdrys.
Hope this helps

Getting the same results is difficult but I always recommend
1. A good powerful hairdryer - fastest airflow is key. Try Toni & guy shop online - they’re what the staff use in the salon so are good.
2. heat retention brush - these are the metal round brushes with plastic spikes- they do get a bit of getting used to but the metal base smooths your hair as you blow dry.alternatively you will get more grip and tension with an all bristle brush which may be easier to start with as it grips your hair and you need tension to smooth out you hair.
3. Section your hair
Separate from ear to ear the front and back sections and secure with crocodile clips.
Dry the fringe area and hairline first if it tends to kink.
Then from the nape of your neck upwards at the back of your head 2” sections depending on the thickness of your hair. There needs to be tension to smooth your hair - YouTube vids are good to see techniques.
I suspect maybe the towel dry method you are using is taking too much moisture out of your hair - especially around the front where your hair is finest. You need a little bit of moisture so your hair is still pliable- too dry and it’ll go frizzy as it’s already set in it’s wave. Take a small strand of wet hair and pull it and it will stretch- do the same with dry hair and it won’t. A quick blast with the hairdryer will do the trick to get most of the wetness out of your hair.
4. product
Shampoo conditioner do make a huge difference
I love L’Oréal professional range and am quite liking L’Oréal dream lengths conditioner as it’s quite smoothing but still light. It is unfortunately trial and error to find something that suits your hair. The hairdresser could be using anything on your hair and get it straight because it’s easier for her - you may need something that gives you a little more smoothness or control. there are some great new products out there at the mo, smoothing blow dry serums - Toni & guy one is pretty good. Admittedly it’s a minefield but a little bit of Googling and you tube will help.
But practise makes perfect and I still get days when I’ve blowdryed my hair and it goes frizzy after an hour- mainly if I’ve rushed it or not sectioned properly. Doing it all the time isn’t good though. I’ll try and have a day where i leave it to dry naturally with conditioner on inbetween blowdrys.
Hope this helps

Hi, that is very helpful, thank you. I've been thinking about buying a new hairdryer so will look at those and the products. Honestly, I find it so depressing so I'm very grateful for your reply.

Hi I have wavy hair I use macadamia oil a ceramic brush and I'm afraid to say lots of heat when I dry it I am a hairdresser and know heat is bad but I only wash my hair every 1 to 2 weeks as I wear it up a lot so not doing it every day. Letting the natural oils go through helps keep it in great condition and also not blow drying it too much I must admit I'm not a fan of straighteners I have a lot of hair but feel like I've none after using straighteners. Ask your hairdresser for tips also you might want to consider buying a professional hairdryer they do make a difference. If your hair still has water in it and you've not dried it properly that might be the problem good luck and maybe let your natural curls take control if youre not happy with your diy blow dry X
Thank you

Doesn't seem to matter what I try for blow drying my hair it doesn't work. I wrap hair in an aquis towel until it's 80% dry. I have coloured hair and use products for coloured hair that are paraben and sulphate free. I try to keep the nozzle following the brush and going down the hair shaft. It seems nice and silky and dry. Although any little movement of the hair dryer makes hundreds of little hairs fly up. I put a putty on or some oil to smooth. For a short while my hair at least appears silky and dry and smoothish. Within 30 mins though it has gone fluffy, flyaway and very dry, straw like and coarse to the touch. I really hate it and feel it looks so unprofessional for it be in that condition. I've followed tutorials on YouTube, tried smoothing oil before blow drying (I have wavy hair). I read somewhere that it might not be properly dry - but it feels bone dry at the time although I wonder if it really is as dry as it seems. I use a cooling shot as well. Hair stylist has no problem and she makes it hang lovely, no fluffy, little in the way of hairs that won't lie flat and it's silky to touch. My hair is fine but there's lots of it so no thin curtains! It looks better after a few days and tbh I leave washing it as long as possible because I hate it so much. Advice very much appreciated.
I would love to help. A lot of this can come down to products. I know the Dyson hairdryer is expensive but it dries hair as quick as day. It’s a great investment. Some things are worth the investment. I have one at my station and tbh it cuts down on a lot of drying time so I can focus on styling. There’s other good dryers though. What dryer do you use? Alsoooo what products do you use and give me the play by play how you’re styling it.

Do you use a hair straightener? What style are you trying to achieve? Is your hair coloured or bleached, or both? Is your hair fine, or coarse - thick or not much of it? How much heat do you use? How long do you spend drying and styling? Any greys? What is the climate where you live?

All of these things will affect the result you are trying to achieve. My hairdresser told me not to use oil as it will make my hair go frizzy - I have thick coarse mostly straight hair, coloured/bleached and a lot of greys. It currently is below shoulder length. The grey ones are the strays that stick up and look messy.
Once blow dried, the dryer sheet trick does work - I'm not sure how long the effect lasts though....... I also use an ionic hair dryer. (I wish that someone would feel like giving me a Dyson Hairdryer, I love the aesthetics and the technology)
I also find that the best result comes from taking my time and doing it in sections.

I would love to help. A lot of this can come down to products. I know the Dyson hairdryer is expensive but it dries hair as quick as day. It’s a great investment. Some things are worth the investment. I have one at my station and tbh it cuts down on a lot of drying time so I can focus on styling. There’s other good dryers though. What dryer do you use? Alsoooo what products do you use and give me the play by play how you’re styling it.
Hi -sorry been a bit under the weather. Thank you so much that's really kind. At the moment I'm washing and conditioning with Herbal Essence sulphate free potent aloe & Hemp. I was using Wella Colour protect (have coloured hair). Noticed no difference in hair. I give it a cool shot of water at the end. Wrap in aquis non frizz towel until around 80% dry Using argan oil smoothing oil as suggested by hairdresser (have used various things including leave in conditioner). My hairdryer is old - it is a Vidal Sasson infra radiance so probably needs replacing. However, I used a friend's GHD Helios recently and saw a some difference in that hair did dry quicker, was softer but still plenty of frizz. Once dry I use a wella grip cream to smooth. And for a short time it does look ok but then it seems to get straw like - lasts a good day, gets softer but the frizz is bad. I've thought about the Dyson but the cost does put me off. I also read that they had a lifetime of 12-18 months.

Do you use a hair straightener? What style are you trying to achieve? Is your hair coloured or bleached, or both? Is your hair fine, or coarse - thick or not much of it? How much heat do you use? How long do you spend drying and styling? Any greys? What is the climate where you live?

All of these things will affect the result you are trying to achieve. My hairdresser told me not to use oil as it will make my hair go frizzy - I have thick coarse mostly straight hair, coloured/bleached and a lot of greys. It currently is below shoulder length. The grey ones are the strays that stick up and look messy.
Once blow dried, the dryer sheet trick does work - I'm not sure how long the effect lasts though....... I also use an ionic hair dryer. (I wish that someone would feel like giving me a Dyson Hairdryer, I love the aesthetics and the technology)
I also find that the best result comes from taking my time and doing it in sections.
Hi, thank you, sorry for late reply - been a bit under the weather. Sometimes I use GHD straightners and a bit of steam comes off hair. My ihair is wavy/curly in places. I like to try and keep the curl at the bottom but the rest I blow dry straightish. My hair dryer is ionic. I have fine hair - a lot of it though, shoulder length, coloured and a number of grays although they don't seem to the strays. One hair dresser told me not to use oil so I used a cream. My current hairdresser says 'oil' is the way to go. Not sure that either has made any difference. I've not heard of the dryer sheet trick so will look into that. Products I'm using are Herbal Essence sulphate free Potent Aloe & Hemp shampoo and conditioner, argan oil smoother and to finish wella grip cream. In the past, I've tried wella colour protect, leave in conditioner, VO5 frizz free cream, cantu shea butter. To be honest, I give them all a good chance - use for 4-6 weeks and never really noticed a difference.

Change the Herbal Essence. Generally speaking salon bought shampoos are better than shop bought ones.
Even when you buy ‘label’ shampoos from boots like Toni &guy for example boots pay toni & guy for their licence and boots still manufacture the shampoo with very little input from the label brand themselves.
look on look fantastic.com or feelunique.com for names like
L’Oréal professional, wella, redken, schwartzkopf, bumble and bumble, Kerastase, KMS
I’ve found some sulphate free shampoos work some don’t. It is trial and error. But get your shampoo right and your half way there.
I personally love L’Oréal professional- it’s reasonably prised and a little goes a long way. wella always been good too but I haven’t really used it in a long time since it got bought out by proctor and gamble. KMS is also great
I know it’s a pain trying to find the right products but getting right shampoo first is key in my opinion.

Hi -sorry been a bit under the weather. Thank you so much that's really kind. At the moment I'm washing and conditioning with Herbal Essence sulphate free potent aloe & Hemp. I was using Wella Colour protect (have coloured hair). Noticed no difference in hair. I give it a cool shot of water at the end. Wrap in aquis non frizz towel until around 80% dry Using argan oil smoothing oil as suggested by hairdresser (have used various things including leave in conditioner). My hairdryer is old - it is a Vidal Sasson infra radiance so probably needs replacing. However, I used a friend's GHD Helios recently and saw a some difference in that hair did dry quicker, was softer but still plenty of frizz. Once dry I use a wella grip cream to smooth. And for a short time it does look ok but then it seems to get straw like - lasts a good day, gets softer but the frizz is bad. I've thought about the Dyson but the cost does put me off. I also read that they had a lifetime of 12-18 months.

Products that don’t break the bank but are good to use are Verb, Matrix, and Paul Mitchell. Ulta always has random deals to buy 2 get 1 free etc too. But stay away from drug stores. They’re no good one bit. I have had my Dyson for YEARS and use it on clients too, so it lasts. Just don’t drop it and be sure to clean the filter. It comes with a 2 year warranty too. Also yes a good stylist is important. Check Yelp for highly reviewed places in your area, and tell the front desk about your concerns to match you with the best stylists. May be worth asking the stylist exactly what shampoos to use for your hair type.

Products that don’t break the bank but are good to use are Verb, Matrix, and Paul Mitchell. Ulta always has random deals to buy 2 get 1 free etc too. But stay away from drug stores. They’re no good one bit. I have had my Dyson for YEARS and use it on clients too, so it lasts. Just don’t drop it and be sure to clean the filter. It comes with a 2 year warranty too. Also yes a good stylist is important. Check Yelp for highly reviewed places in your area, and tell the front desk about your concerns to match you with the best stylists. May be worth asking the stylist exactly what shampoos to use for your hair type.
I think I'm swayed to the Dyson tbh and I've never found products that make enough of a difference - and honestly, tried everything each stylist has recommended. I think it's technique though as the stylist has no problems. I've watched lots of different YouTubes but if you have any suggestions, then very happy to watch those as well.

Change the Herbal Essence. Generally speaking salon bought shampoos are better than shop bought ones.
Even when you buy ‘label’ shampoos from boots like Toni &guy for example boots pay toni & guy for their licence and boots still manufacture the shampoo with very little input from the label brand themselves.
look on look fantastic.com or feelunique.com for names like
L’Oréal professional, wella, redken, schwartzkopf, bumble and bumble, Kerastase, KMS
I’ve found some sulphate free shampoos work some don’t. It is trial and error. But get your shampoo right and your half way there.
I personally love L’Oréal professional- it’s reasonably prised and a little goes a long way. wella always been good too but I haven’t really used it in a long time since it got bought out by proctor and gamble. KMS is also great
I know it’s a pain trying to find the right products but getting right shampoo first is key in my opinion.
I've tried a few including Wella in the past and can't say I've noticed a big difference but I will go back to the professional ones I think. I personally thinking it's technique now having read everyone's comments rather than product and quite possibly the hairdryer.

I've tried a few including Wella in the past and can't say I've noticed a big difference but I will go back to the professional ones I think. I personally thinking it's technique now having read everyone's comments rather than product and quite possibly the hairdryer.
Definitely makes a difference when using professional products.

Latest posts

Back