Can't for the life of me curl hair with straighteners!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
Did anyone else used to have this issue?! I cant curl my own hair, I cant curl my practice dolls head (with hair extensions in), i don't dare try a clients hair. I have watched so many videos and i'm following everything they do, I am sure I am doing it right but i just keep ending up with practically straight hair with a weird crimp in it (so obviously not doing it right lol)! So annoying! I see so many lovely pictures where stylists have curled with extensions - why cant I do it! GRRRRR so annoying!!! Can anyone help?!

I'm not a hair dresser but just to say I can't for the life of me curl with straighteners either, just so u don't feel alone! Lol X

Once you get it....you'll get it!
However, most of my clients prefer to use a wand for curls, and big heated rollers for volume.:)

Once you get it....you'll get it!
However, most of my clients prefer to use a wand for curls, and big heated rollers for volume.:)
Do you offer this as a service when you have done extensions? What heated rollers do you use? Most of my appointments are in the evening and still takes me a couple of hours, so at 9pm most clients arent too fussed!

Do you offer this as a service when you have done extensions? What heated rollers do you use? Most of my appointments are in the evening and still takes me a couple of hours, so at 9pm most clients arent too fussed!

Sorry, should have pointed out, I'm not a hair extensionist!
I believe you can use heated tools with caution, just be sure to watch the temperature of the appliance you are using.:cool:
I use Cloud nine, they are as 'kind' as a heated tool can be.:)

Don't push the straighteners closed as much

Take your section. Put the straightener on it then turn it down so the mids - ends of the hair is pointing up. Gently drag downwards without squeezing the plates too hard. Slowly Go all the way down to till the ends and voilà! A curl will bounce up before your very eyes :)

Once you've got that down to a fine art you can then go for directional curls. I always think back away from the face looks best when brushed out I.e all curls curled away from the face to to middle back... If I had a straightener st home I'd do a insta video for you but I don't lol

Take a look at this I just found it on YouTube

I curled both of these with Corioliss C1 straighteners! I always curl away from the face, using quite big sections. I put the straighteners on the hair as you normally would, do one full twist so the hair is still facing in the right downwards direction, then slowly start moving down, applying quite a lot of pressure and pointing the open end of the straighteners towards the floor. The copper picture was brushed out with a round brush, and the blonde just with my fingers
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454623172.423570.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454623211.243372.jpg

Lovley logo Tom :) c1's are awesome for curling!

@Emmalouwalsh1989 what straightners are you using? Heat can play an imprint role in a good curl, I use a ghd mk 4 (the model before they turned the heat down) I couldn't use the newer ones to curl they just weren't hot enough

Lovley logo Tom :) c1's are awesome for curling!

@Emmalouwalsh1989 what straightners are you using? Heat can play an imprint role in a good curl, I use a ghd mk 4 (the model before they turned the heat down) I couldn't use the newer ones to curl they just weren't hot enough
Thanks for all your help, I am using the cloud 9 original iron which has adjustable heat and can go up to 200 degrees - is this too hot? should be setting it at a lower heat? http://www.cloudninehair.com/the-original-iron

Thanks for all your help, I am using the cloud 9 original iron which has adjustable heat and can go up to 200 degrees - is this too hot? should be setting it at a lower heat? http://www.cloudninehair.com/the-original-iron
I've not tried a cloud 9 for curls yet but they look fine for the job :) 200 is the same temp as the old ghds too (that's why they got so popular) so I'd leave it at that, I'll try do some mini vids today for you no promises tho lol x

I've not tried a cloud 9 for curls yet but they look fine for the job :) 200 is the same temp as the old ghds too (that's why they got so popular) so I'd leave it at that, I'll try do some mini vids today for you no promises tho lol x
Thank you that's great. I have a client tonight so will have a practice and try and do a few, if i still cant do it i will go back to my curlers for a while x

I can do everyone else's just not my own with straighteners! God knows why! X

Guys you will be pleased to know, i managed to do a few curls on my own hair this weekend! The curls on my natural hair were better than on my extensions but hey ho! We will get there in the end. I kept saying to myself "grip, flip, pull down" and I got a few nice curls. So frustrating when one doesn't turn out like the rest but you have to wait until it cools down to have another go! x

I can do mine but never get it right when I try with clients

I managed to do this to myself a couple of weeks ago, with old old GHDs. But I can't for the life of me recreate it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 22
Ha! Love that! Grip flip and pull down.. Spot on :D

Latest posts

Back