cant get a job!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollie_mummy

Reaction score
hi geeks, ive just been really upset lately and needed to come on here and moan for a bit! im a qualified nail tech. but no-where in my area is taking on, and if they are they want you to be either experianced or buy all my own products and rent a table and have my own clients! i dont have any money to buy products and i have 2 regular clients and i passed my course about 2 months ago.
i recently decided to try and get an apprenticeship in a salon doing hairdressing or beauty therapy, to stay within the industy and carry on doing nails in my free time, but ive just had a phone call from a salon i have applyed with saying that they have already filled the position. when will someone give me a break!
ive got a hungry baby too feed and a mortgage to keep up with and i need a job!
anyway, i feel a bit better now ive shared, sorry if that was really boring. im gunna go cry again now xxx:cry:

Ahh dont be sad! I feel for you and understand your catch 22 situation, you need experience but salons dont want you unless you are experienced!! :mad:

Apply to all salons in your local area and keep phoning them as there situations change. Save your pennies and buy some products.
Phone hair salons and ask if they have vacancies for juniors, hopefully something will come up really soon!

Good Luck & Chin Up!

Jacqui

Hi, sorry you are feeling so frustrated at the mo.

Just wanted to let you know that renting a chair is not as bad as it seems, I started in a salon in April, albeit to take over from someone who was leaving on maternity, BUT she was still working for the first month I was there.

Gradually, my bookings picked up, as I could take on all the new clients that had been enquiring about having their nails done, but the other techs were so busy they just couldnt take anyone new on.

Fast forward to now, and I have a good number of my own regular clients, plus I am now covering the maternity leavers clients, so things are really looking up!

I pay a daily rent, a flat rate, and I buy my products direct from the salon owner (saves on postage!)

Just thought I'd let you know my experience, it might make renting seem less daunting.

wheres heywood? i,m looking for more staff, we are run off our feet. looking for experienced tech's or enthusiastic juniors...

Could you work from home or do mobile and market yourself using some of the great tips that can be found on this site? At least you don't have any outgoings unless you are actually working that way. x

Have you tried calling the local salons that haven't advertised ?

Although im self employed I came across the room I am renting now purely by chance, I called loads of local salons asking if they had any rooms to rent and suprisingly most of them did !

I know of one salon near me that has never had to advertise for therapists as they have a waiting list just from people calling. My friend recently started a new job just from ringing round the local salons to.

If you've already done this then perhaps look a little further afield ?

Hope you find something soon xx

Have you tried calling the local salons that haven't advertised ?

Although im self employed I came across the room I am renting now purely by chance, I called loads of local salons asking if they had any rooms to rent and suprisingly most of them did !

Thats how I found my salon - well by writing letters and sending my CV.

You say you cant afford to buy the products, but have you looked into getting a grant? Places like the Princes Trust can help, also your local goverment might have a grant system in place. This would give you your start up costs.:hug:

hi, thankyou for all of you advice, i have been into all of the salons in my area and given them my c.v and the answere was the same everytime "were not looking for anyone right now but we will keep you on the list"! i recently applyed for a job andtwo days after i applyed i rang them to see how it was going if i was going to get an interveiw ( a bit pushy i know) and she sed she had already filled the position, without interviewing anyone!
btw, heywood is near manchester, england. i dont think its anywhere near stoke-on trent but thankyou anyway. thats another problem... i dont have a car!:mad:

hi, thankyou for all of you advice, i have been into all of the salons in my area and given them my c.v and the answere was the same everytime "were not looking for anyone right now but we will keep you on the list"! i recently applyed for a job andtwo days after i applyed i rang them to see how it was going if i was going to get an interveiw ( a bit pushy i know) and she sed she had already filled the position, without interviewing anyone!
This is the same situation that I've been in for the past 6 months. I sent my CV to countless salons, gyms and hotels in the area and got about 3 replies (sadly none of them were invites to interviews). The bank manager was baying for my blood so I had to look outside nails and finally started my new job in a call centre on Monday. It's not what I'd be doing in an ideal world but it pays pretty well and I can do my practice in the evenings and at weekends. And it'll pay for my driving lessons!
Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and keep your chin up. xxx

Perhaps you will need to get an alternative job and keep nails for weekends and evenings if possible. Atleast its some money coming in whilst you looking for salon job??

Good Luck.

Jacqui

btw, heywood is near manchester, england. i dont think its anywhere near stoke-on trent but thankyou anyway. thats another problem... i dont have a car!:mad:
i thought it may have been in stafford, but apparently thats a place called little heywood.... how about offering to do a day a week unpaid to gain experience? you never know what may arise, and then you could prove yourself and see how your treatments measure up against other tech,s. just a thought good luck...

Latest posts

Back