Can't get acrylic ball right

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlystinelli

Reaction score
Hi, Im new here and just starting to do nails again after having a baby... well she is a year now but anyways I had only been doin nails for a year before i got pregnant but I was pretty good at them and they usually turned out nice except I always seem to get lifting around the side walls and I have tried every thing over the rainbow like acid primers to buffing tons and different acrylics.... I feel like when im applying the acrylic I just cant get the consistency of the ball right and is usually too wet or too dry... any suggestions?:eek:

what i would do is have a look through all the tutorials on here first off,
http://www.salongeek.com/tutorials/
plus i would think maybe have a 1-2-1 just to tweak areas i know a year isnt a long time but maybe a bit of a refresher wouldnt do any harm.
you can try anything in the world, primers etc but if prep and application need a bit of help then nothing is going to work.
hth :hug:

do what has been suggested...also try smaller balls on laminated sheets....practise makes perfect hun and even now i practise on laminated sheets....xxx

p.s. welcome to the site hun xxx

Hi, Im new here and just starting to do nails again after having a baby... well she is a year now but anyways I had only been doin nails for a year before i got pregnant but I was pretty good at them and they usually turned out nice except I always seem to get lifting around the side walls and I have tried every thing over the rainbow like acid primers to buffing tons and different acrylics.... I feel like when im applying the acrylic I just cant get the consistency of the ball right and is usually too wet or too dry... any suggestions?:eek:

I agree with everyone else but also,Just a thought , different brands often have different ratios, so if your swapping from one brand to another that could make a difference as well, ie cnd l&p>when you pick up ur ball of acrylic it should look like " orange peel" but if youre gonna use Ez flow l&p your ball should "look wet " , hths
hazel

Last edited:
just a thought but have you got a good brush, i started with a cheap brush but noticed a dramatic improvement when i got a decent one x

Thanks for all your reply's so fast.... When i pick the ball up it does look like an orange peel but then gets wetter as it gets on the nail. I usually use creative nail..... I love how in Asian salons they grab a big ball and just lay it down like its nothing...lol

:green:

oh yea, been through a few brushes... i think that may be a factor too.... I used a big one but think it holds too much liquid... i read everywhere and everyone seems to say different things such as wetter is better or dryer is better... im confused......lol

maybe try a smaller brush

do what has been suggested...also try smaller balls on laminated sheets....practise makes perfect hun and even now i practise on laminated sheets....xxx

p.s. welcome to the site hun xxx

sorry for hi-jacking your thread hun, but i just wanted to say sj what a great idea, is struggle with mix ratio sometimes and practising on laminated sheet is a great idea, gonna try that at the weekend when i have a play

ta hun xxxx

oh yea, been through a few brushes... i think that may be a factor too.... I used a big one but think it holds too much liquid... i read everywhere and everyone seems to say different things such as wetter is better or dryer is better... im confused......lol

medium bead is best hun as its not to wet. nor to dry .....everyone is different and we all use different brushes cos thats what we are comfortable with....trial and error with you hun...what brush is better for .....if its a small brush then use small..hth xx

hiya!
i also use creative, they say to count "going,going,gone" in your head,if all the liquid soaks up the powder before you finish saying it,then it's too wet,if it takes longer then its too dry. make sure you scrape your brush off the side of your dappen dish acouple of times before you go near the powder. when you put your bead down you should be able to let it go without any of it sticking to your brush.
good luck with it,

ruth
xxx

Latest posts

Back