Can't get my polish to look professional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pisces26

Reaction score
ive been taught to brush like so-

_________

then three upward strokes
but cant get my painting right without leaving brush strokes on the nail and it never looks smooth
what should i do im getting so frustrated
(studying bt level 2 and this is one of the units)

also completely unrelated as above q is about regular nail painting but is the cinderella gel nail lamp here- http://www.salon-services.com/red-carpet-manicure-ndash-cinderella-pro-kit/
worth buying (never had a gel nail lamp)

Last edited:
What polish are you using?

ive got several.. tried with a chanel, china glaze, revlon and colour club
i dont think its the polish i think its me
applied a base coat

Hold your brush flatter to the nail so your putting less pressure on the brush and floating the polish gently onto the nail. That could make a difference. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

make sure you have enough polish on your bush bc some polishes dry quicker. (not too much but enough) when you put the polish on the nail don't start at the cuticle, apply it a little lower than the cuticle and push it up into the cuticle then you drag the polish straight down. Now you go back to the top on the right or left side of the nail and pull the polish from the top and go down the nail... then do the opposite side.

Basically you do the middle then do the sides.
the first application may not be perfect but you second should look better

On your second polish application you can start close to the cuticle and pull down then do your sides.
(make sure to cap the free edge so u won't have any chipping)!!

Like i said some polishes dry quicker and create streaks more easily so sometimes you may have to work a little quicker.

** watch some youtube videos to get some ideas and techniques.
** make sure to keep practicing on you nail hands!

ive tried all these tips and am really struggling still

It really is all about practice - keep going!

ive tried all these tips and am really struggling still

Rest the little finger of the hand you are painting against the little finger of the hand you are supporting your clients hand with whilst painting, if that makes sense.. You will have better control of your brush. It does come with time and practise xx

Rest the little finger of the hand you are painting against the little finger of the hand you are supporting your clients hand with whilst painting, if that makes sense.. You will have better control of your brush. It does come with time and practise xx

i cant really do this cause i have to hold the bottle while painting

It can be done. Hold polish, rest little finger and take your time x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

i cant really do this cause i have to hold the bottle while painting

You can still do this whilst holding the bottle it is only little finger to little finger to support and control, trust me your painting will change.
X

You can still do this whilst holding the bottle it is only little finger to little finger to support and control, trust me your painting will change.
X

I agree. I felt really cack handed to begin with but after practise it became so much easier. I have small hands but it's definitely possible to hold the bottle

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I first started I thought I'd never get polishing down... I mean come on! Who goes to a nail tech who can polish well?

Practice, practice practice! And 9 out of 10 times your polish job is going to look better than if the client did it themselves.

You'll get it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using SalonGeek mobile app

My students are always so amazed how difficult they find polishing to be. By putting in plenty of practice, technique improves and therefore so does speed and confidence. I hated polishing when I was training, and to be honest I think it took around two years before I really felt confident.

My advice is to start with a blob of polish in the middle of the nail, push it up to the cuticle and pull back to the free edge. Try to do it in as few strokes as possible, three is best.

They key to it all Is practice. Good technique is not going to just happen, so you need to practice on as many nails as you can get your hands on.

Good luck !!

Hiya

Sorry to say it but you just ned to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Like a lot!

I only do natural nails and 99% of my clients are shellac so all I do is polish, I have got so much better over the years,

I think I can safely 'promise' you that if you perservere it will pay off. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you become.

There are loads of youtube videos you can watch to see technique.

Look at Fingernail Fixer's vids.

Hope this helps, good luck

Latest posts

Back