Can't stand the fuss created by acrylic nail clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it have to do with heat?

Since your comment appeared after my post I am not sure what you commented on...

As for my post, it is about something else.
My post was not about your post or I would have quoted your post.

This is an English expression. Which means, if it's too hot in the kitchen then get out of the kitchen. In this post it means ...
If you can't stand complaining nail clients then get out of the nail industry! :)

Don't let em get to you Katy x You did the right thing!

I have written a whole "guarantee sheet' that I have placed on my site.
It says, anong other things, that the guarantee covers my work if I have an opportunity to assess that, visually i.e. and the as soon as possible. Not a week later.
You'd be surprised how many of them back off at the stage "come and show me or at least take a pic of those 'awful problems' and send me."

Just had one (or rather didn't have :green:). We had agreed she'd come early in the morning 'cause she had to go to work. I got up earlier than usual and she didn't show up! (didn't call either - of course)
Just like that. And she had the nerve to show me her dissatisfaction when I called her. Forgot to ask her for a pic right away and she didn't pick up the second time.

Last edited:
Just remind yourself that there will be some clients who are genuinely glad that they can come back in and get their nail fixed if they break it, and are happy to pay for the privilege of smashing up your work and making you redo it!

If you can get past these little hiccups with clients by being firm but gentle, in my experience they turn into the most loyal customers. It is always worth discussing the ins and outs of your expectations with new clients whilst doing their first service. They are always first to agree that if they somehow damage their nails that they would expect a priority service to put it back on again and that a single nail would cost £x. :) I find it nicer than quoting paperwork, which they almost never read anyway - I know you are covered, but it is better to keep out of all trouble!

Well done for your response

we all get them.But as long as you stand your ground....
I have had a few clients(well two actually) who were indecisive over which SHELLAC colour to go for... obviously changed there mind when they have got home...pick it off and then complained about the shellac chipping....BUT ask me to re do the shellac For FREE...well excuse me..if it is such a **** product that chips that badly why would you want it done again??
The general public can be crafty unfortunately.
Dont let it get you down....as they say...
you cant please all the people all the time

ps....a friend of mine complained the other day when i charged her for her soak off prior to a new full set....i said "do you think acetone grows on trees" which made us both roar with laughter..acetoning growing on trees..lmfao but she got the hint

Exactly,you wouldnt want the treatment again if it was terrible, free or not.
ive had someone pick polish off and say it chipped (off the whole of 4 nails) i dont think so lol :)

we all get them.But as long as you stand your ground....
I have had a few clients(well two actually) who were indecisive over which SHELLAC colour to go for... obviously changed there mind when they have got home...pick it off and then complained about the shellac chipping....BUT ask me to re do the shellac For FREE...well excuse me..if it is such a **** product that chips that badly why would you want it done again??

Hmmm, I wondered where one of my, let's say, more challenging clients had got to?!!! Looks like she has found another nail tech.. :p :D

I have a client like this she also happens to be one of my closest friends....probably never a great combo,
Every time I have done her nails they "magically" fall off! Funny that it ruins her nail bed and she is the only one it happens to!
So I started to turn her away when she wanted them done, explaining that when they "fall off" it's no good for her natural nails and it will ruin them, after a few months she has come back and I reluctantly agreed to one last set! If the fell off again I wasn't going to do them ever again!

Would you believe two weeks later and aside from a casualty in a car door all of her nails are intact and perfect! The nail gremlin must be on holidays :) lol

im glad i saw this thread, im doing my CND foundation training next week so now am even more prepared on how to deal with such issues xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I won't be leaving the kitchen! It was quite hot in there yesterday though, good job it didn't melt my nails as I would have had to ask myself for a refund. x

This made me LOL!

Ok, I am going to run the risk of swimming against the crowd here.

I think we need to be careful of always blaming the client. I agree that you shouldn't change nails free of charge when the client has made the wrong decision, that goes without saying really. However, you said that you have many happy clients, which is fabulous, but then you go on to say that every few treatments you have someone with a problem. I think you need to look at these nails when the clients return and judge for yourself if they are maybe a little thin on the apex.

You are fairly new to the industry, and, even someone as old as me will sometimes slip up and make a nail too thin. I always have a look at the nails and point out to the client that the nail was thick enough where the breakage was or, if it was me, then I say so. That way I have built up a full book and waiting list of people who know I am always fair. If I get a silly one who complains all the time I get rid of them as they are never going to be happy and life is just too short.

You can learn a lot from really looking at these breakages, a lot about your clients and a lot about consistency in application.

Don't let it get you down though, this business can be the most wonderful thing. My longest job before this industry was about 3 years, I have been doing this now for nearly 18! :D

Ok, I am going to run the risk of swimming against the crowd here.

I think we need to be careful of always blaming the client. I agree that you shouldn't change nails free of charge when the client has made the wrong decision, that goes without saying really. However, you said that you have many happy clients, which is fabulous, but then you go on to say that every few treatments you have someone with a problem. I think you need to look at these nails when the clients return and judge for yourself if they are maybe a little thin on the apex.

You are fairly new to the industry, and, even someone as old as me will sometimes slip up and make a nail too thin. I always have a look at the nails and point out to the client that the nail was thick enough where the breakage was or, if it was me, then I say so. That way I have built up a full book and waiting list of people who know I am always fair. If I get a silly one who complains all the time I get rid of them as they are never going to be happy and life is just too short.

You can learn a lot from really looking at these breakages, a lot about your clients and a lot about consistency in application.

Don't let it get you down though, this business can be the most wonderful thing. My longest job before this industry was about 3 years, I have been doing this now for nearly 18! :D

Absolutely right! Hear Hear!

ok - quick one..
I had a new customer - did a stunning job of Rock Royalty. 3 days later she text me expressing her major disappointment at '1' nail 'peeling' off despite 'not knowing how it could possibly happen and being so careful' etc..

I said must have knocked/used as a tool. She eventually declared she was peeling price tags off presents :mad: but said she expected Shellac to stay on for doing something as simple as that..

She didnt even offer to pay and just left!! :twisted: :twisted: I was that shocked I didnt even get to say 'that's £5 please'!!

What should I have done Geeks???

I say maybe this product isnt for you, we will have to look into changing that,(and they know i will as well) it doesnt tend to happen again then, because it turns out they really do love it after all, i 'sometimes' get this from 'new' Shellac clients "let's try this great indestructable polish" the fact that Shellac has the 'doesnt chip or smudge' logo, seems to give some people the impression that its bomb proof, lol, i know that i can carry on doing normal things, inc cooking , cleaning, working etc and my nails are fine, but not if im doing something that i just shouldnt do with nice nails (picking or scraping at things)

maybe the future demand will be for 'wrought iron ' nails and souldered infills, heeheehee !

Last edited by a moderator:
I say maybe this product isnt for you, we will have to look into changing that,(and they know i will as well) it doesnt tend to happen again then, because it turns out they really do love it after all, i 'sometimes' get this from 'new' Shellac clients "let's try this great indestructable polish" the fact that Shellac has the 'doesnt chip or smudge' logo, seems to give some people the impression that its bomb proof, lol, i know that i can carry on doing normal things, inc cooking , cleaning, working etc and my nails are fine, but not if im doing something that i just shouldnt do with nice nails (picking or scraping at things)

maybe the future demand will be for 'wrought iron ' nails and souldered infills, heeheehee !

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time! Great advice and perfect way to deal with clients instead of being afraid of every client who tries to get a freeby with a complaint.

Stand up to them!! Normal wear and tear means normal wear and tear ... And tell them that BEFORE they walk out your door ... That way they know you will not take any nonsense ... Technicians have to take charge of their clients or I'm telling you, "they WILL take charge of you"

You have to believe in your ability
You have to believe in and trust your product
You have to have passion and faith in that product and that it will deliver

If you don't, no one else will. Clients will sense your vulnerability and strike at it whenever the opportunity arises.

LISTEN to this advice and and the advice from Tigan and LEARN from it. ... It is very important to your success.

Any messers I have had on the rare occasion, I deal with swiftly and rather assertively:biggrin:. This one caught me off guard and I was just annoyed with myself that she slipped out without chance for me to do my assertive bit. :suprised:
Thanks for the advice :Love:

Any messers I have had on the rare occasion, I deal with swiftly and rather assertively:biggrin:. This one caught me off guard and I was just annoyed with myself that she slipped out without chance for me to do my assertive bit. :suprised:
Thanks for the advice :Love:

I dare you at the end of her last appointment to add the cost of the repair on then for her. I flipping would. "I'm sure it was an oversight but you left so quickly last time you forgot to pay me!" BIG smile. "So altogether, that will be ....." BIG smile.

Love this thread, it is really helpful to read how to deal with these situations positively.

Thank you all x

Brilliant - yes I will do it. :wink2: That would work well actually... she is due back in a week so I will let you know how it goes!!!!:biggrin:

Brilliant - yes I will do it. :wink2: That would work well actually... she is due back in a week so I will let you know how it goes!!!!:biggrin:

Please DO!

Good luck! :) I look forward to hearing the outcome!

Latest posts

Back