Cap the free edge first or after?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatildasMummy

Reaction score
Hey Geeks!

Please let me know what you do?

Do you apply the gel polish to the nail plate then cap the free edge after (between each coat) or do you start by capping the free edge first then the nail plate?

I got taught to cap after but have been watching videos online that say you should cap first as it avoids lifting?!

Many thanks all

Tina

Advice has changed in the last couple of weeks to be honest, but whatever works for you, if before is working fine then don't change, if you find some are experiencing problems then try the new method. It's not set in stone for every client either.

Advice has changed in the last couple of weeks to be honest, but whatever works for you, if before is working fine then don't change, if you find some are experiencing problems then try the new method. It's not set in stone for every client either.
O really! Well I am just getting back into beauty and currently just offering gel polish service to family and friends! Have my first lot of gel nail applications tomorrow and I’m so nervous so not sure which method to do! Xx

O really! Well I am just getting back into beauty and currently just offering gel polish service to family and friends! Have my first lot of gel nail applications tomorrow and I’m so nervous so not sure which method to do! Xx

Do whichever makes you feel more comfortable in your skills, you can always tweak it later down the road once you've built your confidence back up. I'm trialling the new method at the moment on a couple of severe chippers - it's hard to remember to do as I'm so used to capping last. I'm not stressing about it, it will come to me eventually.

I believe you are supposed to cap the free edges first. The reason being that if you cap them afterwards you will get a bulged edge because of the build up of product on the tips.

I always do it first. It's a sure fire way to ensure that it's done, but as thin as possible. Newbies who do it last I think tend to do it much too thick, which can cause chipping and peeling issues.

I believe you are supposed to cap the free edges first. The reason being that if you cap them afterwards you will get a bulged edge because of the build up of product on the tips.

But if you don't experience bulging or chipping then why change your methods?. If you do, then the new way is an option to help eliminate the problem, but 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' as they say

Latest posts

Back